Ski pack for smaller skier (women)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ski pack for smaller skier (women)

My wife needs a new ski pack for day tours in the backcountry. She's 5 ft tall. Pack needs to hold shovel, probe, goggles, layers, goggles, first-aid,water bladder, lunch, ax, ski crampons. Ski carry should not interfere with ax removal.
    Her current pack is an aging Osprey Switch 25+5 that she likes as it came in a small.
    She's not particularly interested in avy bag or Avalungs.
    The main criteria are fit for a smaller torso - 5 ft tall, and ability to carry her gear comfortably. Low weight would be a plus.

So what are people using that they like or don't like?

Muchas gracias!
    Originally posted by riser3
    I heart filthy, stinky "hippies", although isn't mchin a Doctor or something like that? Hardly qualifies as a "hippie" IMHO...

3 packs I would recommend checking out are the Osprey Kode 32, Deuter Freerider Pro 28 SL and the BCA Stash 30.

Comment

I got my son a Dakine Heli Pro DLX 16L when he was about that size (a little taller but mostly in the legs). It fit him well and he regularly carries everything you mention (plus skins) except ski crampons and axe. No bladder included but adding one is easy, there's a sleeve and a place to run the hose. No helmet carry if you care about that but you can always clip it to something. Axe sleeve is vertical on the side and the ski carry is diagonal so that shouldn't interfere (though I haven't verified that). Looks like it's no longer being made but there's an 18L women's version you could check out.

Also heard good things about the Osprey Kode packs for smaller skiers.

Comment

Hmm...5 foot? She might fit into your pack.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas and keep sending them in! Toque-this has been brought up.....
          I heart filthy, stinky "hippies", although isn't mchin a Doctor or something like that? Hardly qualifies as a "hippie" IMHO...

Comment

I'd also recommend the Deuter Freerider Pro 28. I picked up a DFPro30 for myself recently and it's great. Lots of nice features and appears to be indestructible. The full zip back panel is great for accessing the body without having to remove stuff you are carrying on the front. Several reviews/demos on youtube.

Comment

I have to throw in this discussion Mammut's Niva Ride. It's 20 liters and really efficient in its use of space. I don't see any ski packs better thought through than Mammut.

I'll also say a big minus of the Kodes to me is the only access to the main compartment is the back panel. And before you can open it you have to unclip two buckles on the load adjuster straps. Pain in the ass.

Comment

@Cesare - The Mammut Niva Ride looks good. I have the Mammut Ride RAS w/ABS so can vouch for their efficient use of space.
                @Telorti, thanks for the vote for the Deuter.

Comment

Pack update - I ordered the Deuter and the Mammut Niva. Lucy liked them both, and couldn't decide, so she is keeping both of them! Thanks again for the ideas. We are now fully equipped for our of skiing at Burnie Glacier Chalet, with one of the new packs - probably the Deuter.

Comment

I refer to mine now as the duder...or el duderino if I'm not into the whole brevity thing.............

Comment

That rug really tied the room together....

Comment

Working...
                      X