The Land Ullr Forgot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Land Ullr Forgot

Nice to see photos and read about all the actual skiing that is going on both north and south of us. Thanks to all those that posted TRs, especially those with photos.

We recently went up to our local 5,000 foot BC ski terrain to see if there might be any snow at all from the storm that dumped in the Tahoe area, since I could not see any from home, looking over at this nearby area. Looks like it must have been just rain up there. As far as I can tell, there was little to no snow in this section from the coast all the way over to Shasta and into southern Oregon. Still bare ground or maybe a couple of inches much higher up. Usually by now we are skiing on several feet of snow in the area this photo was taken, which is a 40 years defunct alpine ski area. Photo shows my grand daughter pretending to ski, while laughing at the pathetic amount of snow, and perhaps at me for my apparently hopeless expectations.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1013 copy 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	89308

NOAA is starting to talk about a tropical system possibly impacting us by next weekend and maybe combined with some cold temps flowing from east of the Cascade crest spilling over this way and producing a quantity of snow to low elevations... or not. We can hope.

Yeah, NOAA interactive shows Shasta to be pretty much bone dry, even now after that decent Sierra storm. Usually, even a well-below-average snowpack still means ample snow on the southern volcanoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hindfoot View Post
      Photo shows my grand daughter pretending to ski, while laughing at the pathetic amount of snow, and perhaps at me for my apparently hopeless expectations.
      Ullr will not be pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaahb View Post
        Ullr will not be pleased.
        Maybe that explains the gusty, dry wind here, with minimal chance of precipitation while again, both N and S of us the forecast is for greater likelihood of snow/rain. But she does not even live here and the resort 30 minutes from their home in OR is forecast for some needed additional snow. Starting to look like I may need to travel up there for a visit if I'm to get any tele turns this season. Neither of our usual resorts, both a 4 hour each way drive, has any snow yet, and remain closed, and high BC anywhere within that distance is also snowless or effectively so. A far cry from our historic season average precip of 60-90 inches.

Comment

Puking snow in the hills above the Napa Valley right now. The radar looks NICE!
          With the storm next weekend - some Mendo. Nat'l Forest action could/might just happen soon.

Starting to accumulate here in Angwin.
          Coastal Crest Snow Patrol
          https://brentheffner.smugmug.com/
          http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJibmstr
          https://www.strava.com/athletes/1816044

Comment

Originally posted by Hindfoot View Post
            Maybe that explains the gusty, dry wind here, with minimal chance of precipitation while again, both N and S of us the forecast is for greater likelihood of snow/rain. But she does not even live here and the resort 30 minutes from their home in OR is forecast for some needed additional snow. Starting to look like I may need to travel up there for a visit if I'm to get any tele turns this season. Neither of our usual resorts, both a 4 hour each way drive, has any snow yet, and remain closed, and high BC anywhere within that distance is also snowless or effectively so. A far cry from our historic season average precip of 60-90 inches.
            I'd hold off on that based on the current runs of most of the models...

Comment

Working...
            X