Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this for realz?

http://snowboardmag.com/stories/four...e-the-mountain

Yeah, read about this. Seems like the 'boarders have a point, particularly since Alta is located on public lands. End of an era perhaps.

Comment

They have no point. Snowboarders are not a protected class. They are free to visit Alta and ride the lifts with skis. A snowboard is no different than other tools like a sled, snurfer, or xc skis all of which you can't ride the lifts at Alta. I don't know if I agree with Altas continued ban on snowboards but it's not unreasonable.

Comment

There's 4 of 'em. That's almost a whole brain.

Comment

I used to be one of the elite skier types who thought snowboarders would have a tough time on Alta's many gnarly traverses.

Until I saw this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w7sVSMbjyM

Comment

Originally posted by airinwrite View Post
            They have no point. Snowboarders are not a protected class. They are free to visit Alta and ride the lifts with skis. A snowboard is no different than other tools like a sled, snurfer, or xc skis all of which you can't ride the lifts at Alta. I don't know if I agree with Altas continued ban on snowboards but it's not unreasonable.
            Yeah, I don't see that going very far. Alta operates under what's called a "special use permit", so discrimination of use is already explicit. They'd have more of a case if the whole entire National Forest preferentially favored one popular glisse mode over another.

Comment

Can't sue the Forest Service for not allowing bikes in wilderness areas or the PCT.

Comment

publicity stunt- the lawyers know perfectly well there's no equal protection case for snowboarding. I hope they're prepared to pay the government's legal fees . . .
                Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

Comment

I was thinking of suing a ski area to limit the number of telemarkers ... especially the stereotypical ones, or at least have dedicated runs just for them.

Then, while pondering "This is way too many telemarkers", I noticed the dearth of snowboarders.

Just pass a "No sitting on the slopes" pull-your-pass rule.

Does Alta have a terrain park? If not, they should be largely safe ...

Without boarders sitting how does one practice running gates?

I have developed misochiony - the Greek for hatred and the Nymph of Snow Chione.

Come to think of it with the new "recreational laws" in Colorado - won't all the snowboarders come to Colorado?

-r

Comment

Seriously. Alta should ban one-piece skis suits with fur-lined hoods...at least in the larger sizes.

And Colorado resorts should ban blue jeans.

I agree that legal tactic must be to put pressure on Alta publicity-wise. It should be pretty easy to defend the suit, but, IMO, still would be very difficult for the defendant to get an award of defense costs.

No wonder people hate lawyers.

Comment

Other than Alta and MRG what other resort bans snowboarding?

Comment

Them two and Deer Valley and that's it. Taos used to be another until recently, and I think the last Tahoe holdout was Alpine.

Comment

snowboarders sue...

Bwaaahaaahaaa!

They better not be saggin' in court

Comment

I've noticed in my son's demographic their kids want to ski not snowboard because they think their parents are weird and uncool. Perhaps snowboarding will go into eclipse and come back in 30 years (if there is any snow or surviving resorts).

Comment

Geez, when I read you all talking about "equal protection" I thought you were all just playing internet lawyer. But no, teh stupid is theirs. Jaysus. Someone needs to drag a big aluminum rowboat to the top of Collins and tell the ski patrol it's their constitutional right to ride it down the groomers.

Comment

Working...
                              X