X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a dream to fulfill?

Itching for your own Silverton?

Own a 500 vert hill?

Wanna' drive a snowcat to work just for sh!ts and giggles? Or start your own cat-ski operation off the Bay of Fundy?

Need some snowmaking for your lawn?

So many crushed dreams and new dreams can be explored here:

http://www.resortboneyard.com/

Much fun.

Unfortunately the cat wouldn't fit in my driveway and I'm not sure if the town would allow me to install one of those sketchy looking lifts up on the bench. Speaking of crushed dreams, last time I was at Fortress the lifts were still rusting away with the chairs still attached. I bet that the existing owners wouldn't mind if you went scavenging there to clean up the place.

Comment

Originally posted by repete View Post
      Unfortunately the cat wouldn't fit in my driveway and I'm not sure if the town would allow me to install one of those sketchy looking lifts up on the bench. Speaking of crushed dreams, last time I was at Fortress the lifts were still rusting away with the chairs still attached. I bet that the existing owners wouldn't mind if you went scavenging there to clean up the place.
      The article on the Kpow website stated that they were hoping to run this year, but got $800K in flood damage and will post-pone reopening of lifts until 2014/15. Interesting. We'll see. So for now it remains a commercial cat ski operation and backcountry area.

Comment

A friend of mine has an old snowcat. I have yet to ride in it because it's always broken down. Glad I didn't get one!

Comment

Are they actually going to be using the old lifts? They seemed near the end of their life cycle when the hill shut down. You saw those photos on ttips when I hiked up there a couple summers ago, the infrastructure looked quite worked over by the elements. Just imagine how much that $800k would have ballooned if they're was something of actual value to fix other than the gravel access road.

Edit to add about MattB's post; be prepared to spend double what you buy on old equipment in repair/maintenance costs.
          Last edited by repete; 9 January 2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Not really a commercial cat skiing area. In the sense of actually, you know, making any money.

Is it a backcountry area? A work colleague did an AST1 course in December there through the U of C outdoor centre. Is there public access or will they shoot you off the property?

Comment

Originally posted by CSG View Post
              Not really a commercial cat skiing area. In the sense of actually, you know, making any money.

Is it a backcountry area? A work colleague did an AST1 course in December there through the U of C outdoor centre. Is there public access or will they shoot you off the property?
              I just assumed that if they were doing AST courses or if you were willing to hoof it up the road, they would let you use it... but I could be wrong. That said, they wouldn't shoot you off the property. They'd have diCaprio explode you to smithereens off the property.

Comment

Hey, maybe I'll forward the link to the mountain manager at the local ski hill. Some of that stuff would be a significant upgrade.

Comment

Would that be Eldora?

Comment

Originally posted by Hindfoot View Post
                    Would that be Eldora?
                    Uh-huh. Yes. (And apparently my answer has to be at least 10 characters, hence the redundancy.)

Comment

I can write 10.

Comment

Originally posted by QuiverQueen View Post
                        Uh-huh. Yes. (And apparently my answer has to be at least 10 characters, hence the redundancy.)
                        Figured it could be. Just checked out their web site and my, have they grown. I taught skiing there part time when I was in school many years ago, and the area was tiny relative to what is now there. All they had were surface lifts. And the current lift ticket price, yikes, though looking around it seems almost average. Guess Colorado has changed a bit since I left.

Comment

Working...
                        X