• Fristchi Vipec AT binding..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fritschi Vipec AT binding.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	89266

Available now from T-P.
    http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/...-p-146954.html

Looks like it's only comes with a 100 mm brake for now.
    374 Euros is about $510 US.

Comments?
    Last edited by chamonix; 2 January 2014, 09:55 AM.

That's expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by SkaredShtles View Post
      That's expensive.
      You get what you pay for. Considering what it adds to the tech equation (lateral release at the toe, shift on the fly mode switching), and compared to other tech bindings, the Vipec seems a fair price. Yes, fairly pricey, but fair by comparison nonetheless.

I should add - if you use the coupon code EYT10 you can get 10% off.
      Last edited by Dostie; 2 January 2014, 10:45 AM.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Dostie,
        That's 10% off with T-P? 10% off would almost pay for the shipping from Yurp.
        I hope posting the link is ok
        Last edited by chamonix; 2 January 2014, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
          That's 10% off with T-P? I didn't know they advertised on your site. I hope posting the link is ok
          You might try browsing over there some time.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Looks to be more expensive and heavier than a Dynafit Speed Radical. To me, that is a loser on both counts. It is interesting that all of the new tech bindings are either more expensive or heavier - or both - than the old Dynafit models. While I recognize some of these incorporate various "improvements," many just seem to cost more and look prettier, and for me (who is not a power skier and values light weight) the improvements add little value.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
              Looks to be more expensive and heavier than a Dynafit Speed Radical. To me, that is a loser on both counts. It is interesting that all of the new tech bindings are either more expensive or heavier - or both - than the old Dynafit models. While I recognize some of these incorporate various "improvements," many just seem to cost more and look prettier, and for me (who is not a power skier and values light weight) the improvements add little value.
              I don't think it's meant to compete with the Speed Radical, more like the Radical FT or the Beast. Having a safer more reliable release with greater elasticity is valuable to a lot of people. That's why plate AT bindings remain popular in spite of the weight and awkward tour mode.

Fritschi probably realizes that ATK, Plum and other tech manufacturers have enough competing market share for bindings like the Speed and Race models to try that market.

Comment

Vipec AT binding just came up now on the Bentgate.com website. $599.00 US
                they show a ski brake available in 120 mm width.

http://www.bentgate.com/shop/fritschi/diamir-vipec-12-at-binding-19830

Last edited by chamonix; 2 January 2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by airinwrite View Post
                  I don't think it's meant to compete with the Speed Radical, more like the Radical FT or the Beast. Having a safer more reliable release with greater elasticity is valuable to a lot of people. That's why plate AT bindings remain popular in spite of the weight and awkward tour mode.

Fritschi probably realizes that ATK, Plum and other tech manufacturers have enough competing market share for bindings like the Speed and Race models to try that market.
                  Yep, I think you are right that this binding is meant to compete with the Vertical, Beast, etc. And, I can see that some may value the added features even though they add weight. But for me (and I suspect many others, but maybe not), the new crop of bindings are no better (or even not as good) as a binding introduced 10(?) years ago. They are either heavier, or - in the case of ATK, Plum, etc. - of similar weight and functionality, but more no lighter and much more expensive.

Comment

I think BD will sell alot of these with their dealer network. I think if I was getting into AT and had a strong Alpine background I would most certainly look at these. On paper, they have better release values and will better handle big skis and big boots like the Pinnacle and BD Factor. So, a lot of positive for the strong skier looking at reasonable weight and strong performance.

For me, Ive been on Dynafits for nine years and since all the bindings now have the longer pins for the heel and the flip up heel elevation, they are reliable enough for me. I have no use for brakes either and I don't think the BD's work without them. However, I am more interested in uphill performance and doable downhill performance, So I don't need burly for my AT gear. Still, primary ski is 115 underfoot and 185 long, have skied some rowdy lines and never wished for more beef.
                    "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Working...
                    X