Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Fatalities In Separate Incidents Near Jackson Hole

Here's a Link. http://tetonvalleynews.net/news/seco...9bb2963f4.html

The -20 for the first week of December is causing big problems. Stay at the resorts in SW Montana and Northern Wyoming

So sad. It is pretty scary out there right now.

Comment

A close friend of mine was in the party that hiked to the top of Pucker Face from JHMR with Mike, and played to ride it after him. I also have another couple of buddies who were close with him. I shared a beer with him before the local TGR screening in October. Major bummer.

Comment

This is very sad. I come to Jackson a lot and every few years the snowpack is more reminiscent of what we have in Colorado. Sadly this is one of those years.

Comment

Good follow up article in the JH News.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
            Good follow up article in the JH News.
            Originally posted by JHnews
            The natural avalanche followed a four-day storm cycle that included winds up to 118 mph south of Jackson and up to 32 inches of snow on the eastern slopes of the Tetons, the avalanche center reported......
            I rarely comment on avy threads because there is no such thing as ZERO risk for those who travel in avy terrain. I fear, at some point either me, or one of my friends, will be telling a similar story someday, but I hope not...

That much new snow has so much temptation. I hope I always have the power to resist...

RIP
            the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

If people want to ski or board in terrain like that in winter conditions, such events will continue. Like another high-risk activity, financial speculating, the risks exist mainly from incomplete information. The mountains continue to not reveal all information needed for high-risk transactions; speculators engage at their own risk.

When the risks taken payoff, the rewards are amazing and few of us haven't taken some chances.

The skill set for taking risks seems to include a healthy understanding of luck...

Comment

Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
                I rarely comment on avy threads because there is no such thing as ZERO risk for those who travel in avy terrain. I fear, at some point either me, or one of my friends, will be telling a similar story someday, but I hope not...

That much new snow has so much temptation. I hope I always have the power to resist...

RIP
                Yeah, you are right. Sometimes you just need to take out lesser gear and ski lesser slopes. Right now in my area there is a major lack of snow and lots of skiers waiting, Jonesing and antsy for the snow which at some point will come. There will be mayhem, the masses will punch out the resort pow in short order and then move to sidecountry and BC and throw down every aspect reguardless of safety and protocol. Traditionally we have pretty safe snow here, maritime snow, safe snow 24hrs after storms et et. This year it is different with the compromised base and wierd temps and winds, so, maybe not so safe. It will all depend on the storms that will come in. If we get cold inside sliders with some depth to it then the conditions will be dangerous and we will have accidents. If we get some pineapple expresses with lots of warm precipt and the funky base gets crushed and snow on top of that, then, possibly a bit safer. Still, I plan to ski lesser slopes on lesser gear for a while and watch what kinds of problems others are having before I rig big......
                "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

The link on this thread led to another interesting article on another situation, well written and on the topic. Many of you may have already read this, but under the circumstances of scarcity QZ mentions above, the more folks that think critically about this issue, maybe more sad situations will be prevented. Something relevant to do, anyway while waiting for snow.
                  http://www.lifeinthetetons.com/Teton...-an-Avalanche/

Comment

Working...
                  X