T Tips Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T Tips Forum

It's sort of back up and running. Very little action and nothing saved from the past including members.

telemarktips.com now belongs to a cybersquatter and telemarktalk.com to someone in Quebec. Clearly Mitch let them expire.

Comment

I'm happy here.

Comment

Sheik Yerbouti...can you read the arabic/sanskrit/whatever that language is at telemarktips.com. Just thought it might be your native language?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by zonca View Post
          telemarktips.com now belongs to a cybersquatter and telemarktalk.com to someone in Quebec. Clearly Mitch let them expire.

I had a back order on the telemarktips.com and telemarktalk.com to try and avoid such a turn of events but I had decided from the first not to go to auction and bid.

(There was in the end a lot of bidding and activity - don't know if it was the community or others attempting to get them.)

I had thought to just hold them in case Mitch popped up or the data sets could be retrieved and the vast trove of information (including all the
          videos etc etc and the forum) could be kept alive as a searchable archive.

As I have posted over at the "new" telemarktalk.com, I would have pointed the domains to here (maybe with a page.)

But ...

The whole situation though about the shutdown of telemarktips.com and telemarktalk.com puts the entire community in a very bad light - both Mitch for just walking away (many would have paid the bills for maintaining the DNS and hosting accounts) and also the utter failure of all those who acted if they were close to Mitch doing anything or providing any information or status as to what happened and it was quite obvious what was happening - the bills were not being paid to keep the hosting alive or the DNS or even to get the information archived off the hosting site.

In hindsight, there was not much of a community after all, even if I was just a posting lurker.

That is the real disappointment.

-r

Comment

Originally posted by telorti View Post
            Sheik Yerbouti...can you read the arabic/sanskrit/whatever that language is at telemarktips.com. Just thought it might be your native language?!?!
            It's nor Arabic so I can't help you there, not familiar with Sanskrit.

Comment

A while back during one of the outages of TTips I bought telemarktalk.net sort of seeing the writing on the wall. Really happy I didn't feel the call to step up and that Dostie got this going.

Comment

Originally posted by !ski View Post

The whole situation though about the shutdown of telemarktips.com and telemarktalk.com puts the entire community in a very bad light - both Mitch for just walking away (many would have paid the bills for maintaining the DNS and hosting accounts) and also the utter failure of all those who acted if they were close to Mitch doing anything or providing any information or status as to what happened and it was quite obvious what was happening - the bills were not being paid to keep the hosting alive or the DNS or even to get the information archived off the hosting site.

In hindsight, there was not much of a community after all, even if I was just a posting lurker.

-r
                Mitch gets a lot of credit (deserved as far as I know) for getting ttips going, but it's too bad that he had no transition/succession plan when he pulled the plug and left town. From the sound of comments by those more familiar with his situation, he had reasons for paying less and less attention to ttips, but there's something to be said for ending relationships with a modicum of grace--letting people know, identifying someone to create an archive and facilitating continuation of the name would all have been nice.

Comment

Originally posted by !ski View Post

I had a back order on the telemarktips.com and telemarktalk.com to try and avoid such a turn of events but I had decided from the first not to go to auction and bid.

(There was in the end a lot of bidding and activity - don't know if it was the community or others attempting to get them.)

I had thought to just hold them in case Mitch popped up or the data sets could be retrieved and the vast trove of information (including all the
                  videos etc etc and the forum) could be kept alive as a searchable archive.

As I have posted over at the "new" telemarktalk.com, I would have pointed the domains to here (maybe with a page.)

But ...

-r
                  The real disappointment is that you come in here with your first post saying the demise of Mitch's site puts him in a bad light, then go on to say it puts everybody who was "close" to him in a bad light for not doing anything while you yourself admit in the preceding paragraphs that you thought about buying the domain but decided not to if there was an auction involved. Look, you are no better than anyone you are criticizing here. You don't know what private conversations may or may not have taken place with regard to something that was Mitch's personal property or regarding circumstances in Mitch's personal life that are nobody's business here. In short, you're out of your element, Donny.

Comment

WE...
                    Originally posted by cesare View Post
                    ...don't know what private conversations may or may not have taken place with regard to something that was Mitch's personal property or regarding circumstances in Mitch's personal life that are nobody's business here.
                    Amen.

And let me add that my obit on TTips used a bit of editorial license on where Mitch is and what the circumstances of the demise of TTips was caused by 'cuz all I know is nothin' but speculation. Nonetheless, I stand by my wish that he is south of the border enjoying some single-malt and some of SLHMTB's fine cigars after romping in powder.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Chez, Dostie, thanks....

TTips was Mitch Weber's baby. Anyone with half a brain who telemarks owes Mitch a steak dinner and all the beers he can drink for providing us all with the great resourse that TTips was for all those years... Most of us are up to speed on all things telemark because of guys like Mitch, dostie, and a few others. If your first instinct isn't to thank Mitch for what he gave you for FREE, before you blame him because you can't have more, you're a selfish jacka$$.

Buying the TTips name from the URL pimps at Godaddy doesn't make your site TTips... Unless you are Mitch Weber....
                      the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
                        Chez, Dostie, thanks....

TTips was Mitch Weber's baby. Anyone with half a brain who telemarks owes Mitch a steak dinner and all the beers he can drink for providing us all with the great resourse that TTips was for all those years... Most of us are up to speed on all things telemark because of guys like Mitch, dostie, and a few others. If your first instinct isn't to thank Mitch for what he gave you for FREE, before you blame him because you can't have more, you're a selfish jacka$$.

Buying the TTips name from the URL pimps at Godaddy doesn't make your site TTips... Unless you are Mitch Weber....
                        Amen...

Merry Christmas if you are out there reading Mitch.... Thanks a bunch!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
                          You don't know what private conversations may or may not have taken place with regard to something that was Mitch's personal property or regarding circumstances in Mitch's personal life that are nobody's business here.
                          Thank you for saying this much better then I ever could.

Comment

I read in !ski's post a lament more than a criticism. Mitch did great things with TTips and deserves credit and thanks for it -- and Dostie knows I have advocated that all props be given to Mitch -- but I find very little commendable in the way TTips was simply left to flounder and vanish. Yes, TTips was entirely Mitch's to do with whatever and however he wanted, but he did let a lot of people down. While it may be politically incorrect to criticize Mitch, it was also politically incorrect for Mitch to walk away from the community he created, and the loss of that community is our loss and thus our business. This is not to judge him personally, many people do public things for all sorts of private reasons that we neither know or have a right to know. But who has the right to draw the line as to what is fair criticism and what is not?

Comment

Mitch owes us nothing. We owe him our gratitude. I for one cant abide anything less and have as much right to my opinion of !ski's post as he had to write what he wrote. Graceless. On Christmas eve, no less. I have nothing more to say on this matter. Merry Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                              X