Around town beater vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around town beater vehicle

I've been thinking about getting a beater car. My wife and I have been sharing 1 nicer car for like 7 years. now I am feeling a bit guilty for taking the car to go skiing when she wants to go to knitting group or something but I also do not want to be held back when there's great snow.

We've got an '05 5spd outback limited and I want something a little more utilitarian like a truck or jeep.

manual and awd or 4x4 a must. I'm thinking an old Tacoma or Jeep Cherokee? $2-3k max including any fixes to get it inspected. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by patonbike; 14 December 2013, 10:57 AM.

Buy something for her to take to knitting group and drive the subie to ski. You're more likely to run into issues chasing snow than she is learning to darn a sock.

Comment

get another Subaru , a Forester. Roomy inside, fun to drive. Lots of room for gear. Put on four Blizzak snows.

Comment

Whatever you get for her, consider how your ski day might be ruined if her beater car breaks down. Just sayin.'

Comment

Tacoma or Jeep Cherokee? Those are worlds apart, is there a reason for those two choices? Tacoma has a reputation as a high mileage truck with obvious limited passenger space. Cherokee has an unreliable reputation with more passenger space. If you want a good truck for less money look at a ford ranger imo.

Comment

Originally posted by QuiverQueen View Post
            Whatever you get for her, consider how your ski day might be ruined if her beater car breaks down. Just sayin.'
            ^This.

"Nobody ever got my name right." - Me

Comment

haha... oh I'm going to drive the beater. if it breaks down I will just ski the rest of the way !

they are both light trucks that are pretty stout, available with a manual trans, 4wd (with 4LO) and decent clearance. A ranger could work too. Seating isn't a huge priority.

Comment

You can usually find some great beater pickups on craigslist for next to nothing. Most of them have ample mileage and you often find that the trans is shot, but there are diamonds in the rough.

I definitely think you find more for your money in the pickup category.

Comment

Working...
                X