Current Haps in the LTBMU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Haps in the LTBMU

The LTBMU (Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit of the United States Forest Service) has released its revised final plan for the basin. It's a mixed bag.

On the one hand, the LTBMU refused to reconsider its OSV winter recreation map..i.e. refused to consider imposing more restrictions on OSV use in the basin. We are not happy with this, and will be objecting to this failure.

On the other hand, the LTBMU did listen to our comment about increasing access: the final plan formally recognizes the need to "increase dispersed winter parking opportunities". This recognition sets the necessary groundwork for infrastructure improvements -- or increased plowing -- to create more winter parking. Thank you, LTBMU, and thank you everyone who submitted comments asking for improved access. Your voices were heard!

The revised plan also took part of our comment on increasing the number of acres designated as "backcountry" and now classifies lands between Blackwood and Ward Creeks as "backcountry". However, they refused to revise the management direction for "backcountry" to require that backcountry be nonmotorized, so this change may not make much of a difference. The major distinction between backcountry and general conservation is with regard to creation of new developed recreation sites, and there is going to be little of that in any event.

As expected, waiting for the Forest Service to step up to the plate even for a positive action with snow machines is like watching a tin can rust. I was asked to submit a letter to the FS in reguard to my opinion of snow machines and SM use around here in the Tahoe area. I had some credibility as I was actually hit by a SM so I had first hand knowledge of conflict between SM's and general users of a Winter multi use trailhead. I submitted a letter to the FS giving my opinion. I am sure it was skimmed over by some flunky and tossed in the trash. The content of my letter was basically that I thought that SM's should have designated trailheads, even multi use trailheads like Tahoe Meadows. No restrictions as to horse power or stroke. They should have parking and there should be signage as to restricted areas and any FS limitations. So pretty much what they want. The two areas I had suggestions were that since this is a huge snow play area with hundreds of kids playing in the snow, there should be a 5mph speed limit 500 yards from the trailheads to protect the kids. I sited examples of seeing kids sledding and SM's racing around in the same place at 50/60 mph. I also stated a need to limit SM's from ripping down the burms adjacent to the hiway but to use designated entry points to the terrain. I stated witnessing SM's grinding down burms and throwing dirt and rocks all over the adjacent hiway making a mess and danger to the traffic. IMO, this was reasonable and should have atleast been considered. So, IMO, Snowlands you are kicking a dead horse dealing with the FS, they are too lazy to take up any issue that is actually, "reasonable". It will be interesting to see if the new regristration requirements actually get enforced so the SM's have to have ID numbers............
    "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

QZ, what were the circumstances of you being hit? When was it? (I don't ever recall reading about it on the old forum

Originally posted by Quadzilla View Post
      So, IMO, Snowlands you are kicking a dead horse dealing with the FS, they are too lazy to take up any issue that is actually, "reasonable."
      There's more than one way to skin a cat: http://winterwildlands.org//wp-conte...ent-Ruling.pdf You have to exhaust your administrative remedies (aka comment on the EIS) first.

Comment

Snowlands raised this specific safety issue in the LTBMU's winter collaboration effort and proposed creation of a corridor thru the area . it was not agreed to. this specific small snowplay area is in the H-T, and Snowlands very recently sent a request to the H-T to administratively create this corridor. it does not solve all Snowlands' issues in the area, it only addresses the safety issues of OSVs in the snowplay area, but it is a small step that seems to be a "no-brainer."

like all government, government moves very slowly when being pushed, but it does move.

Comment

The USFS Planning Rule for 2012 specifically requires the FS to respond to the global warming crisis by reducing C02 emissions on FS lands. While the Rule may not pertain to the current revision for the LTBMU, it does pertain to the Chugach and other forest. Putting solar panels on FS infrastructure may seem compliant, but reducing the CO2 impacts of all forms of mechanized recreations seem more justified on a scientific basis (no snow at all) and, when one considers the broader negative impacts to other users. This can be be done in a number of ways from making 4-strokes mandatory, factory mufflers only, or simply reducing or eliminating the number of mechanized users allowed and the land available for them. This would encourage BC skiing as a practical alternative to enjoy our public lands with zero production of CO2.

I could go and on but my opinion on this is well known. Burn fat, not oil.
          Last edited by Valdez Telehead; 14 December 2013, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LightRanger View Post
            QZ, what were the circumstances of you being hit? When was it? (I don't ever recall reading about it on the old forum.
            Well, I was hit by a snow machine a long time ago, maybe before TTips. It was close to the time that the Tahoe Meadows were made off limits to snow machines on the Eastside of 431 in the large meadow area. It was a big snow year and Lynn and I were touring along a ridge slogging along in very deep snow. We heard The machines close by and thought it was interesting since we have never seen them before in that area. The area was East of 431 and down a ways toward Diamond Pk. Suddenly a machine came up the side of the ridge toward us at full throttle, it kinda wheelied on top of the ridge right at me. I jumped out of the way and it clipped me but the tracks hit my skis and tossed me to the snow. The machine augered into the snow and stoppped. Then things got ugly, I got up and lost my temper and I have a very long fuse. I went after the driver and was going to waste him and when I got my hands on him it was a young kid maybe early teens. Then his father and another guy showed up and I cussed then out, no apologies on their side either. So, it was see you at the trailhead a**hole but when we got there they were gone. So, that is my biler story. I have no issues with SM's even when they poach the wilderness. Just don't run into me or my wife.

Comment

Wow that's quite a story. Could have turned out much worse.

Originally posted by Quadzilla View Post
              I have no issues with SM's even when they poach the wilderness.
              I do.

Comment

Whoa. Glad you weren't more seriously injured. If it was my kid, I first would have gotten the situation calmed down and then made him apologize and wash your car for six months.

Comment

Originally posted by LightRanger View Post
                  Whoa. Glad you weren't more seriously injured. If it was my kid, I first would have gotten the situation calmed down and then made him apologize and wash your car for six months.
                  No injury at all, my recollection is actually the "G" rated version. Anyway, on another note I was up there on Sat and noticed that either NDOT or the FS has closed off a main parking area right across the hiway from the Ophir Creek Trailhead. IMO, this is a bad idea since it will put the SM's and their trailers parking along the hiway where all the other users park, so just creating more congestion and ill will. Additionally, I did notice that the FS has put more signage on the borders on the wilderness.

Comment

Working...
                  X