18-19 Sierra Nevada Conditions, Reports and TR's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SPQR View Post
    End of Feb. of '83 had seen 44' of snow fall on Donner Summit, Sugar Bowl had almost 30' of snow. Cali dumps can really be crazy big!
    I remember that year, Tahoe Donner was big new development up there with Bay area types and others with $$ were buying and building trophy homes and moving up for the "mountain" lifestyle. When the snow came, residents were getting stuck with 20-30 feet of snow in their driveways and power lines were snapping like straw. That Spring and Summer there was a mass exodus and you could get a home there for cheap. So, yeah, we get big snow events and totals. I think Rose a couple of years ago got 50' season total.

This year seems different, a lot warmer. Have gone skiing on just about every storm/snow day and the drive up in the AM is snow covered roads and by mid day roads are wet at over 8,000. The past week we have had two systems come thru and snow here at my house at 5,100 in the evening and it is melting with water running off the roof at 5:00am. Now, we have blizzard warming for the next few days with flood potential here. Not suppose to happen in mid Jan. Not complaining, I live in the desert we love water, just want a legitimate powder day.........
    "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

The drive up hwy88 Monday morning was a breeze, surprisingly the road wasn’t even icy until Silver Lake. Went touring at Carson Pass in morning and then at noon back to Kirkwood. Skied UltraVectors but wished I was on my Coombacks, hate it when I guess incorrectly and bring wrong skis. Vectors got kicked around too much, Coombacks or bigger would have been better.

Comment

...wished I was on my Coombacks...
        Until now I never believed the folks around town who said I had a brother from another mother.

Click image for larger version

Name:	coom1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	88854

Name:	coom2.jpg
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	88855

Comment

Name:	IMG_0636.JPG
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	88856
          Back at you bro!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10990[/ATTACH]
            Back at you bro!
            Nice! over the years I have had three pair of Coombacks, the 102 versions and just a great ski for resort and touring

Comment

Well, home bound again. Rose is going to end up with maybe 6' storm totals and other place nearby more. Dangerous out there, Yes for sure, heavy wet snow on top of facets. Pulled this pic off TGR Tahoe thread of one of the Tahoe locals touring Red Lake yesterday. This was off the main old road that goes from the lake toward Carson Pass and exactly the same route we took on my prior post a few days ago. This is low angle stuff.

Name:	Opera Snapshot_2019-01-17_072652_www.tetongravity (680x680).jpg
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	88858

We are touring on Sat, not sure where yet, probably TRT and low angle.

Comment

IMO the part that slid is at least 25 and maybe 30 degrees at its steepest, as compared to the road cut where it is under 20, and I would not call the tour above Red Lake to be "low angle"..the road itself is low angle but crosses terrain that is at least moderate and steep in parts...but this illustrates a concern I have frequently felt on "low angle" tours...that a portion of the tour crosses and/or comes very close to some steeper segment. You can see the slope broke at precisely the rollover point in the curve..which is where it "should" break... and pulling some of the snow above the rollover as well.
                Last edited by Baaahb; 17th January 2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaahb View Post
                  IMO the part that slid is at least 25 and maybe 30 degrees at its steepest, as compared to the road cut where it is under 20, and I would not call the tour above Red Lake to be "low angle"..the road itself is low angle but crosses terrain that is at least moderate and steep in parts...but this illustrates a concern I have frequently felt on "low angle" tours...that a portion of the tour crosses and/or comes very close to some steeper segment. You can see the slope broke at precisely the rollover point in the curve..which is where it "should" break... and pulling some of the snow above the rollover as well.
                  Good points, Bob. Was wowing at Ron's picture thinking how many times I'd done that part on a quick milk-run on my drive up to South Shore. Then thinking major changes in snowpack amp major risks. Wet snow sticks, but...slabs. I see the avalanche advisory is high in all locales.
                  https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/advisory
                  nee, Whiteout

Comment

Lot of snow the past few days, locally at Rose Resort 5+'. However, high water content and big wind created a stout wind pack and tricky to ski. We got out yesterday for a resort session, half of mountain was closed down and a huge holiday crowd. To be honest, not a fun session and left after a few laps. Driving down a line of cars all the way down driving to find that the parking is closed. Anyway, today going to low angle tour, not sure on what gear to take but going to stay off anything beyond 25.

Anybody else out?

Comment

For sure not easy today. There was a warming last nite which is weird itself but I guess it created a cloud or fog that produced rain for over a hour at upwards of 9,500. So, we got going on our tour with both using fishscales. Me on my Charger BC's AT and Lynn on her Vector BC's tele. The snow had a wet/moist "razor crust" on top, semi breakable and soft moist snow underneath. There was a lot of snow shoers out and not many skiers so whatever trails they created were lumpy. So, we used their trails some and glided some. Voile scales are normally pretty quite but pretty noisy today. Our route was following the TRT with kinda a uphill traverse South and Southeast. After about a hour in mostly scaling but some skins too the visability started to go away with clouds moving in creating a humid fog. So we decide to head back tentative and worried that the downhill would be grabby and maybe not doable. Anyway, yes it was grabby and yes the visability was awful as there was numerous wind burms that you just had a hard time seeing. We decided to low traverse with a series of short switchbacks. I lead alot as I had bigger skis and was able to smear turn and that mowed off the crust for Lynn. We did get into a rhythm and pretty soon we were on the low angle runout and jumped on a track and back to the TH.

So, did today suck? Yep but no falls. Falling today could mean a twisting auger in fall and not good. Suppose to be another front tomorrow and 1-2'. With the holiday crowd, just going to pass and BC AVY with go back up to high. High pressure is returning for a week or more so, next week might have some nice groomers to mow and a chance for the BC snow to drain.

Comment

Today was the best conditions of my season. Spots sheltered from the sun should stay nice and light through at least Thursday.

Comment

Still some good stuff out there! Early afternoon tour to Winnemucca Lake traveresed about 20% soft crust (would be hard crust in the am) and 80% soft good turnng snow, some of it really good.

Not quite misery sticks (Rossy BC-125s) but leathers and 3-pins.

Name:	IMG_2701.JPG
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	88862

Name:	IMG_2711.jpg
Size:	881.4 KB
ID:	88863
                          Last edited by Baaahb; 25th January 2019, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Looks like fun Bob, nice pics

Comment

Nice! You timed it well.
                              It's turns! Of course it's worth the hike!

Comment

Looks like the forecast is being bumped up and being bumped up by a lot. 5' new at the crest and Squaw is forecasted to have a 5 day total of 55" Others similar. So, Hmmm, weekend, Super Bowl crowds and snow is not always a good sign. Right now we are trying to figure out a team of others who want to get out but not until Tues or Wed. Big powder days at the resorts around here are bonkers. Anyway, this looks serious, if you are coming up plan for it.......
                                Teri, our connection for skiing Carson Pass

Name:	Opera Snapshot_2019-01-28_072445_www.facebook.com (339x631).jpg
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	88880

Name:	Opera Snapshot_2019-01-28_072356_www.facebook.com (324x498).jpg
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	88881