18-19 Sierra Nevada Conditions, Reports and TR's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18-19 Sierra Nevada Conditions, Reports and TR's

Somebody's gotta start this, so I will - even tho I have nothing to post! Who got some of that latest big dump?

I did, Paul, as I put in so-last-year thread. Went to TDonner downhill & had great time in bit of wind & nice powder. Tiny drive instead of masses on 89 hitting Squaw/Alpine on rare powder day, the last day of vacation. Overnight rain, but It's All About That Base.
    nee, Whiteout

Comment

As Charley says, good base builder. Cream cheese rather than powder at 8500 feet. Right now a serious south wind. Reporting from Kirkwood.

Interesting that the roads (Carson Pass and Spur) were closed for over a day but, soon after they opened, no chain controls. Caltrans doing a good job.

Comment

Did a pretty good tour today in the Carson Pass/Red Lake area. We started at Red Lake and hiked up to Frog Lake and then Elephants Back. We climbed and skied EB and instead of heading back to ski the steep ridge line heading back to Red Lake, we went Southeast and skied a series of steepish gulleys. Some in the trees and some open. Ended up being well away from Red Lake and have a sizable slog back to Red Lake TH. Anyway, skiing and touring today was variable, snow was mostly a variety of crusts, mostly soft wind crust but absent of a base. Lynn and I didn't have the best gear today. She was on her 85 waist and I was on my 96 waist fishscales. We did climb well but had to be pretty tentative on most of the downs as we were in it and not on it. Crust today was a bit grabby. We did survive and no wrecks. The folks we toured with were on big gear and did way better than us. They also lead the tour and really knew the area and showed us terrain we never knew was there especially the stuff to the SE.

Coverage today there was good, looks like a big storm is coming and the pack should grow by 4-5' by next weekend. So, Carson Pass should be high on your radar if you are looking for a strong adventure.

Some pics, Our group today, Jason, Quad, Darryl and Terri, Lynn taking pics
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002 (1280x1007).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	88845

Our lines off Elephant Back
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00006 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	881.4 KB
ID:	88846
        Last edited by Quadzilla; 13th January 2019, 06:11 PM.
        "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Looks like a great day. Sorry I missed it.
          It's turns! Of course it's worth the hike!

Comment

Carson Pass/E-back, lee side of the pass was the place to be this weekend. I skied there Saturday and Sunday and had fresh tracks both days. Quad squad - you got a nice line on the looker's left of E-back.
            Originally posted by riser3
            I heart filthy, stinky "hippies", although isn't mchin a Doctor or something like that? Hardly qualifies as a "hippie" IMHO...

Comment

Originally posted by Quadzilla View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]10974[/ATTACH]
              Three of these skiers should take note and step up their pants game.

Comment

If I could ski as well as she does, I would wear those too. 5'1" solid muscle and absolutely fearless...........

Comment

If I could ski as well as she does, I would wear those too. 5'1" solid muscle and absolutely fearless...........
                  Oh yeah! I have a friend like Terri. She’s also 5’1” and an absolute tear at whatever she does. Very Elite level nordic and tele skier and a PSiA instructor and examiner. Love Terri’s ski pants. They can wear whatever they want!
                  Last edited by Allan Fici; 16th January 2019, 01:08 PM.
                  Function in disaster, finish in style.

Comment

NWS is excited for tonight: "Above 7000 feet, it`s still party time with 2.5 to 5 inches (heaviest crest) of liquid bringing an anticipated 2 to 6 feet of snow."

Comment

Originally posted by Baaahb View Post
                      NWS is excited for tonight: "Above 7000 feet, it`s still party time with 2.5 to 5 inches (heaviest crest) of liquid bringing an anticipated 2 to 6 feet of snow."
                      Well they might be excited but I am not. I think we are going to see the heaviest and wettest snow fall in a long time along with 100mph winds so besides the danger aspect the fun factor will be low........

Comment

Not great to ski on but good base building snow.

I remember one year in the early 90’s when in late January there was no snow the week before our Outdoor retailer show and on snow demo at Boreal (or as we called it Boringashell). But three days before the demo a two day storm came in and dumped 10’ of Sierra Cement. It was wild, I’d never seen anything like that, a 10 foot monolith of snow pack with no lines in the auger cut parking lot. The day/ night before the demo it cleared, got cold and dried out the snow. That was the craziest styrofoam type snow that I had ever skied. You could set an edge in it and carve it but you didn’t sink into it at all.

Craig Dostie, Do you remember that year up at Boreal?
                        Function in disaster, finish in style.

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Fici View Post
                          Not great to ski on but good base building snow.

I remember one year in the early 90’s when in late January there was no snow the week before our Outdoor retailer show and on snow demo at Boreal (or as we called it Boringashell). But three days before the demo a two day storm came in and dumped 10’ of Sierra Cement. It was wild, I’d never seen anything like that, a 10 foot monolith of snow pack with no lines in the auger cut parking lot. The day/ night before the demo it cleared, got cold and dried out the snow. That was the craziest styrofoam type snow that I had ever skied. You could set an edge in it and carve it but you didn’t sink into it at all.

Dostie, Do you remember that year up at Boreal?
                          Absotively. I'll sacrifice surface depth for total depth and avy stability any day for more than mere centimeters of Coloweedo accumulation any day. Any day! As for powder in Cali, it's all a myth. But if you're livin' the dream, dreams be what myths are made of.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

End of Feb. of '83 had seen 44' of snow fall on Donner Summit, Sugar Bowl had almost 30' of snow. Cali dumps can really be crazy big!

Comment

Well they might be excited but I am not. I think we are going to see the heaviest and wettest snow fall in a long time along with 100mph winds so besides the danger aspect the fun factor will be low........
                              ... and holiday weekend crowds sliding all over the roads.....

Comment

Working...
                              X