X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resort Uphill Policies

Sugarbowl's new official Policy:

http://sugar3.sugarbowl.com/tahoe/17...icy2013-14.pdf

hopefully other Tahoe Resorts will follow...

whitefish uphill policy

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/articl...w_rules/36828/

Comment

Anyone know the status of Alpine Meadows uphill skinning policy? Has AM continued to restrict it this year after that pre-opening, inbounds death last year?

Comment

Mt. Rose has no official policy on uphill skinning...which roughly means don't be an idiot about it and you're fine.

PS this is not just my observation, I have confirmed it with the resort.

Comment

that seems to have been sugarbowl's policy too, but this seems to be making the "don't be an idiot" slightly more official. and, it's a way to get people to sign a liabililty waiver.

Comment

Sugarbowl's policy seems very good and a good model for other resorts to follow if and when they need to adopt a policy. Indeed, it may be better than "no policy".

It appears the policy allows one to exit the resort into the sidecountry largely at one's discretion. The third para deals with this and is a bit ambiguous, but it seems the bottom line is you can exit anywhere as long as you do not travel through an in-bounds area that is closed. I wonder if rules are different for pay-skiers, and if you can get around this by having both a season ticket and a backcountry "pass".

I have no problem with resorts requiring one to sign a further release in order to duck the ropes to the sidecountry. IMO, it seems a good way to go, though enforcement will be difficult.
            Last edited by Baaahb; 10 December 2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Crested Butte has formalized their uphill policy in recent years. Earlier this season they were saying uphill passes would be required and are $100. After some blowback they made them free with your season pass or $40 without which still seems expensive to me for climbing under your own power. But I'm not really interested in uphill skiing there anyway. If I'm going to earn my turns I want something different to ski on anyway.
              Here's a PDF with their current policy.

Comment

A couple of years ago I asked at Steamboat and they said it was ok, just stay to the side of the trail. A patroller did stop and talk to me, commented that I didn't fit the deomgraphic of someone who was just skinning to get past the base lifts where they check passes. I guess that was a nice way of saying I'm an old guy?

Comment

Thank you Sugarbowl!

Comment

my observation is that sugarbowl is codifying their previous (and unwritten?) policy. I have seen people skinning up the groomers at sugarbowl during operating hours for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by thornton View Post
                      my observation is that sugarbowl is codifying their previous (and unwritten?) policy. I have seen people skinning up the groomers at sugarbowl during operating hours for many years.
                      Yeah. Well-known and long-standing, but unwritten AFAIK. At least one guidebook on my shelf mentions that they're cool with people skinning Judah for Lake Runs or the SB-Squaw Traverse.

Comment

A few weeks ago the Denver Post reprinted an article published in the Aspen Times summarizing new USFS proposals governing activities on ski resort property leased from the government. Most of the proposals seem to deal with summer activities like zip lines and disc golf, but my takeaways were (1) resorts can charge for uphill access if guests are taking advantage of other improvements, and (2) "in most cases it would not be appropriate for restrictions to preclude all public use during the ski season other than by those purchasing a lift ticket or paying for other services." Not sure how those two things jive.

Here is the link to the federal proposal: http://goo.gl/2cE1V1
                        And a link to the Post's article: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24...rge-uphill-fee

Comment

Oh, and when do I graduate from being a Junior Member to a Member? I'm guessing it's 30 posts.

Comment

Here's a pretty good list - http://www.ussma.org/resort-uphill-policies

Comment

Why would anyone want to skin up a resort if it has chairlifts to take you to the top instead??

{hides back under his bridge}
                              Training for Vermont

Comment

Working...
                              X