Norway Flats Yurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norway Flats Yurt

The Utah Nordic Alliance (TUNA) has a yurt in the Western Uinta mountains. It is about an hour from Salt Lake to the trailhead, or 30 minutes form Park City. The ski in is 3 miles of gentle uphill. While it doesn't rival a British Columbia hut, it makes for a very nice and very convenient weekend for Utah folks.

This Sunday a group went out for a day trip, to see how to get there (most are going to be first time users this winter). The snow deeper than expected, with almost 2 feet of soft settled snow up at the yurt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yurt 2013 ski in.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	89246

I am glad we went up; no one has used the yurt this winter and the snow load on the roof was more than I expected.

Name:	yurt1 2013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	89247

This is from a few years ago; the snow can get deep up there. Hope this winter is like this.

Name:	TUNA yurt outside2.jpg
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	89248

Always nice to wake up to fresh snow.

Name:	TUNA yurt ouside3.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	89249

This is my son from a few years ago, when he first started to tele. Nice conditions to learn in.

Name:	TUNA yurt skiing3.jpg
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	89250

My brother, nephew and son skinning up on another day. Less fresh, more sun.

Name:	TUNA yurt skiing4.jpg
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	89251

The outhouse has nice views. Cold seat though.

Name:	TUNA yurt view from outhouse.jpg
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	89252

sweet - any pics of the inside?

Comment

Nice. It's really quite awesome how many backcountry ski huts there are in the US; many of them little known........and many quite rustic.

Comment

No good, wide view inside pics. This is the tele boy. Man he looks young.

Name:	TUNA yurt inside1.jpg
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	80687

The kitchen is in the background. Some old guy in the foreground. Man he looks old.

Name:	TUNA yurt inside2.jpg
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	80688

It is a small yurt; 16 foot diameter. Four up and down bunks, so sleeps 8. Wood stove, propane cook stove. Wood floor. Lots of "character."

Comment

Nice! Thanks for sharing that....I could live comfortably in there for the rest of my days!
          Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

Good times.

Comment

Working...
            X