Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backcountry Ice Skating

Awesome photos.
    Last edited by Baaahb; 4 December 2013, 01:02 PM.

Okay, now that is some cool ****e!

I would be totally into that, makes me want to break out the skates, it just never really occured to me to skate all those remote places.

A whole new sport for the winter, when the snow is poor, when you need to get your glide on...

Comment

Tip:

You're going to want a pair of these.

Similar in principle to skins. Also protect blades on the hike in.

Last edited by aqua toque; 4 December 2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

A couple of my own....
        Click image for larger version

Name:	07 jan 029 Daisy on ice.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	80638Click image for larger version

Name:	07 jan 053 Eagle Lake skate.jpg
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	80639

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	aa8c26ee-c495-4492-9642-6fba880cf178_zps462ef015.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	80641

This was covered with 7" of snow today.
          Eshew obfuscation.

Comment

wow these are cool! Skating never appealed much due to the going around in circles thing, but to find something like this would be awesome
            Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

Comment

Originally posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
              wow these are cool! Skating never appealed much due to the going around in circles thing, but to find something like this would be awesome
              It doesn't happen often enough. When it does it more than makes up for the lack of snow that allows for it.
              Eshew obfuscation.

Comment

The first time I thought of skating a mountain lake was some twenty years ago on Lake Louise near Dubois, WY. Approaching the ice climb Golden Tears required crossing or skirting the lake. It was so clean and smooth and beautiful, but with such a nasty head wind we put on crampons to cross, then skis back on to reach the ice. The most recent time was on Black Canyon Lake on the way to ice climbs in the Beartooths.
                Both times the wind made the ski back down the lakes dangerous enough that I put on my climbing helmet. Wished I'd taken a photo of Lake Louise with Golden Tears in the background. As for Black Canyon lake, it was a full on out of control ski/skate until the next small patch of snow where I shed as much speed as I could and redirected my skis for what it was worth. At the end of the lake was a large boulder pile with 25' of snow between the lake ice and the rock, barely enough.

Comment

Headin' out to check the local reservoirs. It's been dang cold the past few days so there ought to be some worthy ice somewhere. The snow sure isn't deep enough!

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Digger- awesome photo- what lake? Was the ice pretty solid?

Comment

Dostie...looking forward to your report on Prosser, et al. IMO it takes about three days of cold after the last snow to get good clear ice. Washoe is frozen over but covered with light snow.

Comment

Another couple weeks of it being this cold and you'll be able to skate Donner...

Comment

Originally posted by Ski001 View Post
                          Digger- awesome photo- what lake? Was the ice pretty solid?
                          One of the many Long Lakes in MN. Just west of Minneapolis. 2-3" thick for most of it. A little thinner over the deep spots that are the last to freeze. If you gave it a good whack you could hear the sound almost across the lake.
                          Eshew obfuscation.

Comment

Grew up skating on good sized lakes in the northern Midwest, though we never had to hike for it. Coolest thing I remember about those big expanses of thick ice was the otherworldly booming sounds they made, due to long cracks that happened all the time, due to expansion or contraction, I suppose. I heard them again some years ago when we hiked in to some wilderness lakes near here in early winter before the snow covered the ice.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this thread.

You see, in my youth, as is the case with most young Canadian boys, I played hockey on any frozen body of water available.

It's hard to forget the day back in '71 when my little brother got that breakaway on the North Saskatchewan River.

Skated right past the net and we never saw or heard from him again.

Comment

Working...
                              X