TR: Snodgrass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TR: Snodgrass

I haven't skied Snodgrass Mountain in years. It's just right there across the street from Mt. Crested Butte. It's even been considered for a (controversial) ski area expansion.
    It's been about a week since we had fresh snow so I wasn't expecting much in terms of skiing powder, but my friend and I figured it would be a fun tour anyway.

We climbed the usual, well-established skin track (a typically Buttian steep one!) and worked our way up to the summit. We looked over the East side and it had been skied a bit recently. Views were nice but snow looked so-so and some wind loading there made me a little nervous.

IMGP1588-Edit by MattB.net, on Flickr

We fought our way through some really tight trees (missed the glade my buddy thought he could find) and eventually found ourselves at the top of a nice looking pitch that had a couple of tracks on it but also plenty of fresh snow. We evaluated the snowpack and decided it was good (enough) to go (persistent weak layer next to the ground as always so it would either be fine or catastrophic). The snow wasn't super deep but what was there was settled well enough to look like good skiing. We decided this was the spot and headed down.
    The snow was mostly great. We skied three pitches with lots of creamy fluffy turns down to Gothic Rd.

IMGP1650-Edit by MattB.net, on Flickr

There was a spot in the middle pitch that the snow got grabby for a couple of turns. My partner got grabbed.

IMGP1634-Edit by MattB.net, on Flickr

He recovered quickly. Extra face shots, we like to say.

IMGP1641-Edit by MattB.net, on Flickr

We encountered those tracks again on the final pitch where it funnels down a bit. Still lots of nice snow to be skied.

IMGP1677 by MattB.net, on Flickr

Then once we hot the road it was time for the worst part, a slightly uphill road skin for a couple of Miles back to the car. A little tiresome after a while but totally worth it!

Comment

Cool pics Matt! Blast from the past....
      Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

Nice pics. and sweet tumbler, thanks for posting.

Comment

Looks like you found a nice shot, thanks for the pics.
          Go your own way...the line is shorter.

Comment

OK, admit it, you photoshopped the hair, didn't you.

Comment

Originally posted by aqua toque View Post
              OK, admit it, you photoshopped the hair, didn't you.
              No, it's really that perfect!

Comment

Spectacular! Rather envious at the moment, but flakes are flying write now.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Matt, I keep saying you have a gift... an amazing eye behind the lens. Your pics always inspire.

Comment

always great pictures Matt, Thanks for sharing them. I like the "cartwheel" picture. It helps me get over the envy I have looking at the 2 pictures above it...

Last week we were issued a winter storm warning for an approaching storm that was going to hit sunday night/monday morning. It was scaled down progressively as the weekend approached and dumped 2 inches of mush.... Another Freakin' hose job from your friends at NOAA.... So far all I have skied this season is knee deep pudding, brain coral, and dust on crust.... I lust for a real dump of skiable snow like I see in your pictures... I know it won't be too much longer,... at least that's what the statistics have been....

Great pics, TY..
                    the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Thanks peeps!
                      We did get lucky this year with the early season conditions. It's supposed to storm again tonight and tomorrow and also be very windy. Snowing lightly ATM. It may change the character of the snowpack around here quite a lot but it's always nice to get more snow. The reservoir is pretty low so we will take it. I know some safe areas I can ski if it's too unstable for anything more ambitious.

Comment

Nice! Snodgrass is the first place I toured around CB. The tip of the iceberg to an incredible backcountry. Jealous about all the snow you guys are about to get, hope the forecast comes through!

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                          Thanks peeps!
                          We did get lucky this year with the early season conditions. It's supposed to storm again tonight and tomorrow and also be very windy. Snowing lightly ATM. It may change the character of the snowpack around here quite a lot but it's always nice to get more snow. The reservoir is pretty low so we will take it. I know some safe areas I can ski if it's too unstable for anything more ambitious.
                          We had at least one avy death on Snodgrass when I lived in CB...people often treat it as a milk run but there is real danger there, as you described in your post.
                          Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

Working...
                          X