Name:	crispi-svartisen-nnn-bc_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	89227Click image for larger version

Name:	xc12_bc-alaska.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	89228

I've got some Rossi BXC-6 boots that I use with Karhu 10th Mountain skis and I want a boot that's a little bit more powerful.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Pank Ache; 21 December 2013, 04:12 PM.

I'm interested in this, as well. If anyone chimes in please discuss the width of the boot :-)

Comment

I'm also interested in this. I've been using Rossi BC x2 boots and find them to be woefully poor in construction and performance.

Comment

Or has anyone tried the 75mm version of either?

Comment

I have a pair of Svartisens coming in the mail. Pretty excited to give them a go. I tried on the Alaska and it didn't feel like anything particularly powerful. I think having the buckles makes a big deal on a boot like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomahawk View Post
            I have a pair of Svartisens coming in the mail. Pretty excited to give them a go. I tried on the Alaska and it didn't feel like anything particularly powerful. I think having the buckles makes a big deal on a boot like that.
            Please give us first impressions/review when you get them.

Can you compare the Alaska's to anything else you've skied?

Thanks!

Comment

Can't really compare the Alaska's because I just tried them on and have my only impression of them based on moving around in the store on them. Will let you know what I think about the Crispis once I get them though.

Comment

I really want to try the Svartisens but was scared off by ordering a pair from France without being sure of the sizing. They are beautiful looking boots and I am after something quite supportive to be used for turns as well as kick and glide. So I ended up getting the Alaska and am loving them after two days of touring so far. This is my first system boot; my comparison to the Alaska is based on using the Fischer BCX 675 with pins for the past three seasons for light telemark/touring on the same pair of skis. The Alaska looks to be well built with quality material, much more so than the Fischers.

Fit and sizing of the Alaska's - based on comparison with other boots I guessed that I was a 45, which I turned out not to be. Thankfully I was able to swap for a 46 and now it is probably the most comfortable ski boot I have ever owned. I have a bit of extra length (no touching of the toes when I bend) but my heel actually stays in place. With the 675's, and Salomon X-adv 8's that I tried on last year, my heel movement in both was no good. I probably have a regular to wide forefoot but don't quote me on that.

Although limited to two days out so far I am quite impressed with the control afforded by the Alaska's. They offer nice support both fore and aft, as well as laterally (within the realm of boots cut this high, not comparing to plastic boots of course). I guess the term powerful isn't something I expect in any boot of this class, but supportive is what I'm after. The BCX 675 offered more rearward support due to the hinged cuff but I actually feel like the Alaska's have a bit more forward and lateral support. Maybe it's just the good fit... Regardless, I'm finding I can make telemark turns on the type of terrain I want to use this equipment for. Anything from 100' to 2000' vertical ascents and descents, comparable to blue runs at a ski hill, usually in soft snow. How good I look doing so depends on the day.

I think either boot would pair very well with 10th mountains, pretty much ideal really!

Comment

I just got my hands on a pair of Alpina Alaska NNN-BC boots. It’s the most heavy-duty NNN-BC boot I’ve come across lately. I’m mostly comparing it to the Rossignol BC-X6 from a few years back, which is the boot I normally ski with on the Karhu 10th Mountain (now the Madshus Epoch) skis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alaska 13.jpg
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	80807

My initial impression of the the Alaska is that it is a really well made, robust boot. The quality of design and construction seems to be very high. It is styled very much after an alpine climbing boot and it also has a similar sort of supportive, yet flexible, fit and feel as an alpine climbing boot.

Name:	DSC01487 (Medium).jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	80808

It’s all full grain leather (curiously, with the rough side out) with only some heavy cordura type fabric at the tongue gusset and at the back of the cuff. There is a serious rubber rand at the the sole/upper joint. The lacing is a little funky in that the lower foot is on some d-rings at the toe, then some easy sliding ball-bearing loops, then a closed locking cleat, then a webbing loop above and finally speed-hooks up at the ankle. You can get a decent, conforming fit, but the closed locking cleat and the webbing loop half way up makes it a little finicky.

Name:	DSC01489 (Medium).jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	80809

The dimensions are very similar to the Rossi boot. The Alaska here is a Men’s size 45 and the Rossi is a 46, but the fit on my foot is very comparable. The Rossi may have slightly more cushy padding, and the Alaska is firmer and well contoured inside.

Name:	DSC01497 (Medium).jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	80810

Much more nimble feeling than a T4.

Name:	DSC01479 (Medium).jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	80811

Rossi BC-X6 weight for one boot.

Name:	DSC01476 (Medium).jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	80812Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01498 (Medium).jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	80813

Alpina Alaska’s weight. A little heavier than the Rossi, and only 2/3 the weight of a T4.

Continued in next post...
                  Attached Files

Comment

...Continued...

Very unscientific testing:

Name:	alaska 5.jpg
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	80816Click image for larger version

Name:	alaska 6.jpg
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	80817

Laterally, the boots are similar and both pretty good for stability side to side (and sufficient for the type of XCD skiing I do with them), even though the Alaska doesn’t have the plastic articulating cuff.

Name:	alaska 7.jpg
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	80818Click image for larger version

Name:	alaska 8.jpg
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	80819

Torsionally, the Alaska was stiffer. It may be that it is just less broken-in, but the area surrounded by the rubber rand just feels more built-up on the Alaska than on the Rossi.

Although they appear to share the same sole unit, the Alaska is more rigid overall than the Rossi. In use, I found the Alaska still decent for kick & glide (of course, even as a NNN-BC system, more like a “shuffle”), but delivered more power to the ski when forward driving.

This forward flex and support on the front/top of the foot – the tongue area – seems to be the single biggest and most important difference in skiing performance between the boots. The stiffness of the Alaska gives it the advantage.

Name:	alaska 1.jpg
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	80814Click image for larger version

Name:	alaska 2c.jpg
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	80815

The Rossi boot is just squishy foam and fabric on the top front and so feels more like a “classic” cross-country ski boot – great for forward flex while striding, but not for driving the ski in a turn (even in a snow plow)
                    The Alaska has a well supported, stiff leather tongue, that seems to work in concert with the rest of the stiff leather upper to channel your turning effort to the ski.

Name:	alaska 3.jpg
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	80820Click image for larger version

Name:	alaska 4.jpg
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	80821

In the end, I think this is an excellent touring boot for both covering some distance, and getting some turns in rolling terrain, meadow skipping, bush skiing etc. On further reflection, the Alaska actually reminds me of a more nimble feeling version of my old Merrell Doubles(75mm). Still, for my turn-seeking XCD interest, I believe you need more boot to drive less ski. So, for skiing my Karhu 10th Mountains, I think I’ll still keep looking for something that can “own” the ski.

Here’s the brief full video of me trying out the boot on my backyard trail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCK2S...ature=youtu.be

I think my next objective is trying out some Crispi Svartisen’s, if I can rustle some up!
                    Last edited by Pank Ache; 21 December 2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Excellent review Pank Ache, you've set the bar for a boot review. I'm still looking for the boot that can live up to my ancient Alpina 2500 that died a slow death leaving pieces of plastic throughout the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne View Post
                        Excellent review Pank Ache, you've set the bar for a boot review. I'm still looking for the boot that can live up to my ancient Alpina 2500 that died a slow death leaving pieces of plastic throughout the woods.
                        Those look like excellent XCD boots. I love the nnn BC system boots but have gone through 2pairs of Fischer. BCX 6, Rossi. BCX 7, and Alpina 2250 from the fabric heel counters tearing out because of the stiff soles. Out of all of those, the Rossi. BCX 7s were the best. They are similar to the Alaskas in that they have substantial material in the forefoot and lace up in the boot front more securely, anchoring the foot to the sole making a more positive contact with the ski.
                        I switched over to Fischer BCX 875s because I got sick of trashing boots but they weight almost two pounds a pair more so that sucks. I'd have to say though that the 875s flex better at the ball of the foot than NNN BC boots, and seem to give a bit better ankle support.

Comment

How strong is the binding?

If you can keep your forefoot down, would you say that your turns are as good as a comparable three pin set up?

I'd be curious to see how the boots you reviewed will compare to the Crispis.

Did you end up getting your boots from the Fey Bros?

Comment

Originally posted by wayne View Post
                            Thanks for the comment wayne. Yeah, I never had the pleasure of skiing an NNN-BC boot quite so substantial as the 2500:

Name:	images.jpg
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	80824

The elusive Crispi Svartisens' look like they were inspired by these.
                            Last edited by Pank Ache; 23 December 2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BendBC View Post
                              ...I love the nnn BC system boots but have gone through 2pairs of Fischer. BCX 6, Rossi. BCX 7, and Alpina 2250 from the fabric heel counters tearing out because of the stiff soles...
                              From a durability point of view, the Alaska's seem rock solid. The materials are top shelf and the construction feels like a traditionally welted boot, like an Asolo or Scarpa. I guess there's always the risk of the NNN BC sole unit delaminating from the uppers, but I don't think that is very common. I kind of spread my skiing out over the full spectrum of nordic skiing and so no one boot gets as much use as it sounds your's go through, but still, I am surprised that my Rossi BC-X6s are still going. If I had to put money on it, I would definitely imagine the Alaska's would last a long, long time, with only the leather softening up over time and getting nicked.

Comment

Working...
                              X