Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eastern skiing and bacon grilled cheese sandwich thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern skiing and bacon grilled cheese sandwich thread..

Well I don't have the bacon/cheese sandwich yet, but we have SNOW ! Maybe 8 inches on my deck. So I decided to head up to Jay Peak, and just skin up some runs, as this would be a solo trip. Very windy up high, at least in the morning so I just took one run. Skiing I heard was good with 6-8 inches of snow yesterday, but skiers who climbed both days, said snow today was even better .

I skinned up a track someone had set up the Kitz, which made an easier climb. Skied down Derek, which was nicely blown in. Didn't hit anything on the ski down, good coverage down left side. Really nice snow with some "structure"; not just windslab. There were some old tracks but they were all blown in..
    Skinning up KitzClick image for larger version  Name:	20161122_134124.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	89937Cell phone pic. It was blowing!

Only these additional pictures I took at the summit, when I met some other skiers. They skied down Haynes.

Top of the Jet today ....Click image for larger version  Name:	P1000863.jpg Views:	1 Size:	555.2 KB ID:	89938Click image for larger version  Name:	P1000864.jpg Views:	1 Size:	483.4 KB ID:	89939Click image for larger version  Name:	P1000865.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.38 MB ID:	89940
    Some POV footage a friend shot today. Nice turns Josh ! Donnie is in the green jacket on teles. (I was not up that early!)

Eastern Skiers, feel free to join in on this thread..
    Last edited by Dostie; 26th March 2019, 08:53 AM.

Originally posted by chamonix View Post

Eastern Skiers, feel free to join in on this thread..
    Does southern Ontario count as 'The East'? Can I play? Oh wait, only an inch of snow on the ground and warming up again. Dang! Might as well go for a grilled cheese with bacon sandwich.

Hoping Mrs. petey wants to go camping this weekend and we can slide around in the canoe.

Comment

I took a trip to Bolton for the past few days, yesterday was pretty crazy. easily 16-24" of fresh powder.

I was honestly skiing like garbage because it was my first time with skis on my feet this yr - really stuggled on my first few descents. uncentered balance and weight distro.

today was a bit crusty but tree shots to the side of the trails were nice and soft, deep. finally got my skiing legs back and was able to lay into some faster turns and do some crust-busting.

Comment

Teledorth wrote

I was honestly skiing like garbage because it was my first time...
        Yes this was my first day on skis too; and I usually ski on teles. Locked heels felt weird for a few turns. About halfway down the run, as P-turns got smoother I realized my boots were still in walk mode, and top buckle was loose .. Still it was great to be skiing on untracked powder..

Comment

Random Fly-over
          Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

here's a few pics I meant to leave in my last post

Comment

Looks nice for low tide.

Couldn't get away until today. Lift served on the lower third at Cannon.

Echo Lake with a bunch of kids getting ready for their raid on Gary's

Comment

Is there a ski hill there now Rob? Haven't been to Echo lake in a few decades. First time we tried driving up that hill the old '64 Chev wagon didn't have enough oomph what with 6 people and a dog on board.

Comment

Skied Wildcat yesterday. Conditions were ok. Fun to be out. I had forgotten how fast that summit quad is!

Comment

Originally posted by petey View Post
                    Is there a ski hill there now Rob? Haven't been to Echo lake in a few decades. First time we tried driving up that hill the old '64 Chev wagon didn't have enough oomph what with 6 people and a dog on board.
                    So there is an Echo Lake at Cannon? I was thinking of the one near Cathedral Ledge. Maybe next year we'll get back to NH.

Comment

Yup, this Echo Lake is the snowmaking pond for Cannon Mountain.

Comment

Jay Peak had great snow today. Almost 12 inches of new snow over last 2 days. Good skiing on natural snow runs like UN, Derek and Kitz. Haynes and Jet (with artificial bases) got a bit icy with skier traffic.
                        Only the Jet lift ran. Should have gone up with skins and light AT setup to climb upper mountain !

Comment

Some pictures from friends who climbed higher up the mountain yesterday at Jay Peak. Pics by Josh Wirth

Click image for larger version

Name:	Josh powder 1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	975.0 KB
ID:	85934xxxxClick image for larger version

Name:	Josh Powder 2.PNG
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	85935 Under the Tram, on Can Am

Name:	Josh powder 3.PNG
Size:	697.8 KB
ID:	85936

Later today, I went up to ski a few runs, and planned to skin up Vermonter. I had my AT setup and pack with skins, extra gear, etc. Then I came upon this sign, when I wanted to skin up from Montrealer on Vermonter.
                          Vermonter had a beautiful carpet of untracked snow. But suddenly to simply skin up would put my season pass at risk.
                          "This terrain is closed. ...Failure to comply will result in the loss of your pass"
                          So I headed home after a few runs on the Jet. Sad.

Name:	20161205_132814.jpg
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	85937
                          Last edited by chamonix; 5th December 2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Jay Peak is off the scale this morning! Really windy, on the way up with blowing, puking snow ; like 16 to 18 inches of fresh, and even more in the right places. A friend reported 3 feet in Vertigo, when he skinned up. With no Tram, Bonnie or Flyer running, i skinned up from Stateside at 7:30 am with 2 friends. Route took us up besides the Taxi chair, then up the Goat run to Alligator Alley. After that we continued up to very top of JFK, almost to top of Flyer. A crew was working on the Flyer, as we climbed Alligator, so it may not run for a while. Tram is out of commission too with a cable SNAFU. Still it was too windy to run either lift.
                            Here are some pictures, skiing down JFK.
                            Found out later friends had skied JFK an hour before us. We didn't even see their tracks; all filled in. Snow was dry, and deep, we never hit a thing..

After that did 4 or 5 laps in the Dip, riding the Jet chair, with knee deep powder along the ridge line.
                            These pictures are on upper JFK. Steeper than it looks !

Name:	Art 1.jpg
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	85939 my tracks to skiers left...

Name:	Art 3.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	85940
                            Big Pete...Click image for larger version

Name:	Pete 1.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	85941Click image for larger version

Name:	Pete best.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	85942

video clip posted by Jay Peak from Friday
                            Last edited by chamonix; 11th December 2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Jaytah effect in full chat....gotta love that.

Managed a hall pass for the day and went to Cannon as it is 1:55 close when the hybrid gets only 27.8 mph. I figured to ski until the open routes became fully center-scraped. Neither of those things happened (gospel!). The new snowmaking guns are amazing soft, smooth groomed, soft bumps. Even Vista way and Skyline were sumptuously soft...to be sure, there were some bare spots, but the good and even surprizingly good carried the day.

Chapeau to the Cannon Snowmaking team!

First chair (really) to 1:30 and my legs were toast. After the first ride up the longest line was only 1 minute 7 seconds. The Zoomer was ski-right-on except once when a class came through. Peabody and Profile were the same..with Profile nabbing the 67 second wait behind another class. No lollygagging in lift lines means I got less rest than my years require on the second day out.
                              Last edited by RobRoyMeans; 10th December 2016, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X