Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OR (Outdoor Research) Catalog

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OR (Outdoor Research) Catalog

    So I got the OR catalog in the mail the other day, and was psyched to see what they had. I've always been a fan of their gear: well-designed, well-made and reasonably priced functional stuff. To my surprise, the catalog contained almost 100% "ski town fashion"...you know, like $250 Carhartt-like pants with a gore-tex liner (joking) so you can look like a mountain town bro-brah.


    I've noticed that Patagucci went this route a long time ago, and Black Diamond, too. I've long since stopped buying their stuff for the most part; overpriced and poor quality (for the price) crap. But now OR...does anyone know when they began producing and marketing these costumes for the fashionable outdoorsperson? I guess this is the future...we've become a mainstream demographic to market to...makes me feel like a stereotype.
    Yay!...(Drool)



  • #2
    I thought Black Diamond just started apparel this year? and mostly just technical pants/jackets. Didnt' think they had any 'ski town fashion' stuff other than a few t-shirts?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by droppinloads View Post
      I thought Black Diamond just started apparel this year? and mostly just technical pants/jackets. Didnt' think they had any 'ski town fashion' stuff other than a few t-shirts?
      Could be...my comment was more focused on 'Gucci.
      Yay!...(Drool)


      Comment


      • #4
        Almost all the Patagonia "casual and lifestyle pants" are in the $90 range and as stated Black Diamond only makes technical clothing. I also don't see any casual OR pants for over a $100.
        Last edited by James; 15 November 2013, 01:14 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Although I sometimes feel like a poster child when I wear it, damn near every piece of Patagonia casual wear I've purchased is super high quality stuff that lasts. I do buy off season and on sale.
          Lift served and proud of it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by James View Post
            Almost all the Patagonia "casual and lifestyle pants" are in the $90 range and as stated Black Diamond only makes technical clothing. I also don't see any casual OR pants for over a $100.
            Well, thanks James...knew we could count on you for the fact-checking. (that is sarcasm) The above was a literary device called "exaggeration". Remove the stick...
            Yay!...(Drool)


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TheWheel View Post
              Although I sometimes feel like a poster child when I wear it, damn near every piece of Patagonia casual wear I've purchased is super high quality stuff that lasts. I do buy off season and on sale.

              I do have Gucci stuff that I love. The "poor quality" is a BD thing, and mainly in comparison to the stuff they made 20 years ago (Chouinard, etc.). My Gucci stuff has always been bought on sale or at their outlets.
              Last edited by BillyFromTheHills; 15 November 2013, 01:30 PM.
              Yay!...(Drool)


              Comment


              • #8
                Well if you see anyone wearing them you know what to ask them . . .
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20120115-000457.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	80453
                Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BillyFromTheHills View Post
                  So I got the OR catalog in the mail the other day, and was psyched to see what they had. I've always been a fan of their gear: well-designed, well-made and reasonably priced functional stuff. To my surprise, the catalog contained almost 100% "ski town fashion"...you know, like $250 Carhartt-like pants with a gore-tex liner (joking) so you can look like a mountain town bro-brah.
                  You know, if I were making a catalog, and hoping that people throw in some other apparel purchases along with their technical shells, I probably would send them 10 pages of technical shells and 40 pages of other crap. What would you do? Start a nonprofit that makes technical shells?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    BillK, do you openly resent everyone who has more disposable income than you? I can't afford Patagonia casual clothing or Bomber bindings, but it doesn't bother me that other people make gobs of money and want to spend it. We know, your refuge is being invaded by second home owners... welcome to the 21st century. Babyboomers are getting old and leaving the cities for seemingly more desirable digs. If it makes you feel any better they'll be dead long before you or I

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Bill, was the whole post sarcasm? Because I kind of thought it was so you could rip on popular brands in a "bro brah" kind of way.
                      Last edited by James; 15 November 2013, 01:49 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is the poster formerly known as billk, so more like getoffmylawnyoudamnkids, but self aware.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by stevesliva View Post
                          You know, if I were making a catalog, and hoping that people throw in some other apparel purchases along with their technical shells, I probably would send them 10 pages of technical shells and 40 pages of other crap. What would you do? Start a nonprofit that makes technical shells?
                          You're absolutely right that a lot of it is simply economy of scale. Americans buy casual clothes as a disposable commodity that they can simply ship over to the goodwill and do their part for the poor. Tech shells are too expensive and not trendy enough for that. The outdoor industry has grown up and realizes what they have margin on. Casual clothes are a big part of that. I don't own much Patagonia, it's a little too nerdy for my style, but I do appreciate that they are employee owned, support sustainable business practices like organic cotton, and certainly prefer their corporate practices to most other big box b.s.

                          Hopefully all the other trendy outdoor clothing companies follow suit.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by James View Post
                            Was the whole post sarcasm? Because I kind of thought it was so you could rip on popular brands in a "bro brah" kind of way.
                            Is that directed at me? I'm always doing my part for the bro brah.

                            The only sarcasm was in the death part. I don't usually joke about death. It's coming for us all.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Matt J View Post
                              Is that directed at me? I'm always doing my part for the bro brah.

                              The only sarcasm was in the death part. I don't usually joke about death. It's coming for us all.
                              No at Bill, sorry. You nailed it with your first sentence.
                              Last edited by James; 15 November 2013, 01:59 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X