Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TGR and the NY Times

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TGR and the NY Times

    I personally enjoy the behind-the-scenes clips, e.g., route selection, avalanche evaluation, etc., more than the movies themselves, so these could be very good. And not a bad start:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/sp...tml?ref=sports

  • #2
    I am so freakin' jealous of the guys that get to do this stuff! Having a chopper available for 5 weeks in a little-skied mountain range would be amazing....and someone else paying for it!
    Last edited by BillyFromTheHills; 14 November 2013, 12:07 PM.
    Yay!...(Drool)


    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BillyFromTheHills View Post
      I am so freakin' jealous of the guys that get to do this stuff! Having a chopper available for 5 weeks in a little-skied mountain range would be amazing....and someone else paying for it!
      Get a job as a heli-ski guide and you'll get first turns more than 5 weeks a year and you'll get paid as well. Win-win! :-)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NoPin View Post
        Get a job as a heli-ski guide and you'll get first turns more than 5 weeks a year and you'll get paid as well. Win-win! :-)
        I've guided...it's not all it's cracked up to be. Kind of kills the sport for me. Actually, dealing with filming would kind of kill it for me, too.
        Last edited by BillyFromTheHills; 15 November 2013, 10:50 AM.
        Yay!...(Drool)


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BillyFromTheHills View Post
          I've guided...it's not all it's cracked up to be. Kind of kills the sport for me. Actually, dealing with filming would kind of kill it for me, too.
          Well, yeah... when guiding you pay for your turns by babysitting clients, when filming you pay by endlessly waiting for camera set-ups and the right light.

          I guess winning the lottery is the best option. Think I'll go buy a ticket now!

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, the lottery!!! That is more the situation that would work for me. Getting flown in and dropped off by aircraft is great...a little scary sometimes, esp. in places where it can storm and preclude flying for weeks at a time. Had to wait an extra week (and we were lucky for that) to fly out of our basecamp in the Yukon (Kluane). Ran out of coffee and smoke....we could've died!!! Fuel was getting low, too...i.e. no water. I'm so rad....
            Last edited by BillyFromTheHills; 15 November 2013, 11:16 AM.
            Yay!...(Drool)


            Comment


            • #7
              The lines those guys ride are ridiculous. I realize that they are talented and have seen talented athletes that are immensely better than others in lots of sports, but the risks are tremendous when you are out-running slides on every line.

              Whether it's the wingsuit guys and gals, pro snowsports athletes, sport bike racers, or anyone else who's really risking life and limb I don't envy them. On my best day I might do something that the uninitiated might be impressed with, but no one expects me to do it every day. Wake up with a cold, huck your meat. Pulled muscle from yesterday's shoot, huck your meat. Partied too late last night, huck your meat.

              Don't get me wrong, a lot of people perceive risks that aren't there and can't make themselves hit the little booter at the resort, but those dudes in the films are in a different game IMO. I don't put them on a pedestal per se, but I do look at them with a certain amount of reservation as they are kind of part-god and part-suicidal.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yup, me too. Well said. But part of me wishes I WANTED to do it.
                Yay!...(Drool)


                Comment


                • #9
                  I dunno. If that means you DON'T CARE IF YOU LIVE.

                  Usually top guys don't see the risk of failure due to their tunnel vision of succeeding, but I've always thought there was a nihilistic undercurrent to some extreme sports that's a bit scary.

                  A lot of aerial stuff involves repetition and muscle memory and now with tramps, snow flex jumps, and landing air bags that can be attained in increments. But eventually if you want to be a big gun you've got to hang it out there.

                  Personal note: I trained on the trampolines and indoor jump last season with a few friends who are competitive athletes and was sore for two weeks. I thought my neck and back would never be the same

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It's amusing to me that those guys get paid to do it....it's not like it's productive work, or has any significant societal benefit.
                    Yay!...(Drool)


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BillyFromTheHills View Post
                      Yes, the lottery!!! That is more the situation that would work for me. Getting flown in and dropped off by aircraft is great...a little scary sometimes, esp. in places where it can storm and preclude flying for weeks at a time. Had to wait an extra week (and we were lucky for that) to fly out of our basecamp in the Yukon (Kluane). Ran out of coffee and smoke....we could've died!!! Fuel was getting low, too...i.e. no water. I'm so rad....
                      Was that fixed-wing? Andy Williams I'm guessing? Quintino Sella glacier by any chance?

                      Heli seems a little more reliable. Longest I've had to way for a heli pick-up is 3 days... but it was a treetop crawler all the way out. Major pucker-factor.

                      Edited to add: Also, the 3-day wait was in a backcountry lodge, not a snow cave or tent. Very comfortable. I'm so not-rad....
                      Last edited by NoPin; 15 November 2013, 12:10 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BillyFromTheHills View Post
                        It's amusing to me that those guys get paid to do it....it's not like it's productive work, or has any significant societal benefit.
                        If it amuses you any more, they don't get paid much. The only way you make any money is to get sponsored by someone who sells water. Beer, energy drink, or soft drinks - water with additives. That's solely for the marketing of course. I think there's some societal benefit in inspiration. Also, some athletes certainly motivate people to exercise which this country could obviously use more of. Traditional athletics are where the money's at - that's for sure. A Rod's at 27.5 million...

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orts_contracts

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NoPin View Post
                          Was that fixed-wing? Andy Williams I'm guessing? Quintino Sella glacier by any chance?

                          Heli seems a little more reliable. Longest I've had to way for a heli pick-up is 3 days... but it was a treetop crawler all the way out. Major pucker-factor.

                          Edited to add: Also, the 3-day wait was in a backcountry lodge, not a snow cave or tent. Very comfortable. I'm so not-rad....
                          Yes, it was Andy...use him alot. It was the Donjek Glacier (or a fork of it), if I remember correctly...just below Mount Steele, our objective. Amazing place, the Icefield Ranges.

                          Edit: I've got to look at my maps and double check....couldn't find them when I looked last night.
                          Last edited by BillyFromTheHills; 12 December 2013, 09:04 AM.
                          Yay!...(Drool)


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Another good video is up:

                            http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/sp...tml?ref=sports

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X