Ghetto Ski Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghetto Ski Box?

I had a homade ski box given to me a few years ago for my old SUV. It got retired and I picked up a Subie this summer. So big boxes are like $600 bucks and I'm thinking of a homade option again. Mabey a laminated cedar strip deal or moulded ply? Any ideas or experiences to share? Kinda would like something "woody" and don't like working with fiberglass. OH Itchy!

Luggage boxes get returned a lot so if you know anyone at the local retailer I'd ask. Sometimes you can buy them very inexpensively and all they need is an epoxy patch job and some flat black spray paint.

I'm seeing them online for reasonable prices, did you check there?

It would be a neat project, but I can't imagine that you'd save any money. I have an older box, but I've heard the new ones have nifty attachments that make them worth their weight in gold. Sounds like little claw feet that are real easy to get on and off. I'd bet the lock mechanism and attachment points would be a bit of a bugger on anything homemade. Let us know how it turns out...

Comment

If the box is going to spend a lot of time on your roof, the difference between a somewhat aero box and something you throw together could be hundreds of dollars in gas, over time (above and beyond the hundreds of dollars a proper roof box will cost in additional gas if you leave it up there). Or maybe not if you do it right, but it's something to consider, seeing as how the whole point of what you're contemplating is to save some cash.

Oh, and I don't recall the one I have costing $600, but then I don't have the biggest kind there is (it's kind of nice to still have room on the rack for bikes).

Comment

In the 80s I made one out of welded aluminum and lexan. I had a camper shell manufacturer weld up the aluminum frame and I scavenged old retail store signs that are commonly used on store fronts in strip malls around here. It was about 30" wide and 10' long. I used it to haul around windsurfing gear sails, booms and gear bag. Pros - custom made and got plenty of compliments. Big enough for what I needed it for. Cons - unless I wanted to make it a long term project I wouldn't have time to incorporate all the improvements I thought of as I was using it. It was heavy maybe 50#.

Comment

A series of 8-10" pvc tubes with rocket nose cones and threaded pipe plug tails.
          Add, stack or remove as needed.

The 4' tall Wile E Coyote Statue really messes up fuel economy.
          The LED rope dangling out of the tail messes with fellow motorists.
          Last edited by JustinB; 18 November 2013, 04:26 PM.
          DJLMWHWYG

Comment

Originally posted by JustinB View Post
            A series of 8-10" pvc tubes with rocket nose cones and threaded pipe plug tails.
            Add, stack or remove as needed.

The 4' tall Wile E Coyote Statue really messes up fuel economy.
            The LED rope dangling out of the tail messes with fellow motorists.
            That is ****ing brilliant!
            "Nobody ever got my name right." - Me

Comment

Great idea! Question: What do you mean by "rocket nose cones"? Can't picture anything like that at a plumbing supply store....
              Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

Originally posted by BillyFromTheHills View Post
                Great idea! Question: What do you mean by "rocket nose cones"? Can't picture anything like that at a plumbing supply store....
                Prolly a DIY thing too. Make a cone out of a sheet of poly and attach to the same kind of threaded plug used on the tail end. I like the idea of a lit rocket on my roof. Coyote optional.
                "Nobody ever got my name right." - Me

Comment

Working...
                X