Meidjo Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meidjo Experience

Skied on the Meidjo last season (Sn 298) with some issues (posted in last year's thread) and have now been out for the first day of the season touring this week. The binding was less than flawless, here are the details:
    (sorry about the long post with no pictures - maybe I should add some emoticons?)

-4C, 15cm fresh, dry, light powder.

Heel: Raised first climbing heel (red plastic) and it flipped down after about 4 steps. Not surprising as I still have the original heel and this problem is known and has been corrected in the newer version apparently. I raised the climbing wire (which did work last year) and soon after my heel pivoted out of place and I released from the toe. The strange thing is the climbing wire was fine (I only realized later) but the retaining rod that holds the climbing heel came out of one end - but this is separate from the climbing wire. In the field I was unable to fully secure this rod so it would stay in place and finished the tour without climbing heels. At home it appears this rod is simply press fit with no real locking mechanism. Once the snow melted off I was able to see a small crack in the plastic that holds the rod in place. I've asked The-M Equipment if the new heels would be available for purchase on more than one occasion but have not received a reply. I haven't seen them for sale individually on Telemark Pyrenees.

Tech Toe Pin: at the top for our final and longest run I knocked the tech toe pin out when kicking the abundant snow buildup out of the binding. Fortunately I found the pin. Upon close inspection, the locking clip was missing on this pin and was also missing on the other inside tech pin (both inside of binding - so they must have been knocked off during ski contact while skiing). I was able to put it in, step in and then carefully monitor it at the remaining changeovers and finish the day. But it fell out again when I got home and put the ski on my work bench. I plan to glue it in with a flexible adhesive.

Snow build up: This is one of the most frustrating things about this binding. Even more than the above breakages. And was a big problem last year with the warm weather and wet, packy snow. I had put some semi-rigid foam (from a garden kneeling pad) in the cavities under the binding last year and it helped. I was keen to see how it would work in dry powder. It did help but there was still build up. There are 2 separate issues here: 1) There are a lot of finicky small parts on this binding that collect snow, and don't work well when snow is present (duckbutt clamp, touring clip at back of duckbutt, toe walk/tour mode, the space under the binding which inhibits the binding from achieving full motion down). I was constantly banging the ski, using my multi tool, my poles, bare hands to clean this out at changeovers (top and bottom). 2) the snow that builds up under the binding eventually gets very firm and packed into place. And ultimately forces the centre of the binding to be higher than it should be. Pressure from your boot pushes the back down forcing the binding into an arc. Nothing broke this time, but it seems that it is just a matter of time. Last year I bent the 'stub axle' (used for step in and lock down during touring) due to this snow packing before adding the foam.

Fortunately I had a only one ski partner with me who was patient as I dealt with these issues. It was still annoying.

Summary: You'd think I would want to smash these bindings with a hammer, but I still enjoy the way the binding skis. I like how light it is. I like the overall function (if you take snow buildup everywhere out). But how can one trust such a binding when venturing off deep into the wilderness? I wouldn't use this binding on an extended or multi day tour.

The switch to NTN in general:
    I have noticed several posts over the last year asking about switching to NTN. I switched last year, mid season and here is my current thinking on it. (my opinion, yours may vary) Previously skied on G3 Targa with T2X (started way back on leathers though). NTN began with Freedom (blue springs, got green as well), Scarpa TX Pro, Then got Meidjo (I have 3 pairs of the same exact ski - so comparisons are pretty fair):

Despite loving the way the Meidjo skis (excellent edge, great feel, light, progressive flex tension), I am just not confident in it. I did not like the Freedom (feels heavy and cumbersome, not much ski feel, initial flex is firm so loose the easy-to-walk-in sensation). The TX Pro has been a disappointment. The bellows are fairly soft, and while this seems to work better with the firmer Freedom, it enables a 'going over the front' feeling occasionally on Meidjo. Having skied on T2s then T2Xs for years and loving the fit I was surprised when the TXPro in the same size had more volume (not more length). Still getting used to remembering to wear my thick socks - haven't even had then for a year and it took me several years to be able to tolerate thick socks in my previous boots. Get toe pinch at the bellows when using the Freedoms for some reason.

So it seems I am not that happy, but there is now way I would go back to duckbill because I can't give up the new found edge hold and overall bomber feeling the NTN gives. I find myself in this purgatory, not being able to find the perfect solution going forward but not able to go back either. I am hopeful that one day the Meidjo will be reliable. For now, I keep 2 pairs of Freedoms mounted as back ups and intend to mount my old Targas again as a back up too.
    Last edited by Dostie; 18th March 2019, 01:47 PM.

Thanks for your feedback - you now have me really worried I have four days on mine so far, all lift served, and have loved the way they skied, as well as the light weight.

After reading about the pins I checked mine - I didn't realize until then that each pin is held in with that sprung "U" clip on the outside. I plan to take a tour very soon to see how they work in touring mode. Snow build up was an infuriating issue on the Freedoms particularly on warm Spring days. Firstly the snow packing under the triangle and stopping return to ski mode - for that I use a golf tee now to clean it out (I knew there had to be a good use for golf tees ). Secondly, snow would pack around the brake so when you kicked off the ski the brake wouldn't deploy, only happened once and I was able fortunately to catch the ski before it barrelled off down the hill.

I'm thinking perhaps the only option in avoiding the snow build up issue is the new Moonlight TTS binding - they claim to have solved the snow build up problem by the materials used on the assembly holding the pins and hardwires. I did think about getting the Moonlight as an alternative to the Meidjo, but it seemed the release might be more reliable on the Meidjo - am I wrong?

Comment

It seems they are also glued in place. The other pin that is missing the clip is stuck in place. The one that came out is 'loose' and wiggles around when I put it back in.

I hear you about the snow build up on the Freedoms. It feels like you are scooping up extra weight with those.

As far as release on Meidjo, I haven't had a fall that required release. So I can't really say.

In theory, the Meidjo is the holy grail of tele bindings, but you have me reading the Moonlight site carefully. I wish they had more pictures. I have said that it is time to put my money where my mouth is and support those investing in tele R&D - so I am thinking I will buy a pair of the Moonlight. It will have the advantage of the tech toe for light touring and great edge control. I stayed away before because 1) no formal release and 2) still had wire... that you have to remove to go up. I can't see that being fun or easy when I am trying to keep up to the AT guys on switch-over. But now I am thinking I can live with both of those cons.

Comment

Thanks guys for all this info. I have been seriously thinking of the Meidjo this season
        I have had no issues on Freedoms, and I took them to Europe, in 2013 for 8 days in St. Anton; no problem. Most of my tele skiing now is at resorts, in the glades, or side country, on the Freedoms, and my last set of Freerides (just sold one of my Freeride sets on 2012 Mantras) .

I have to admit, for longer touring I skied last season on Dynafit bindings. Never any snow buildup in the binding. It just tours better, lighter bindings (Speed Turns on Carbon Converts) , and the lighter AT boots that just work. Crashed a few times, and got a clean release when I needed it!

The TX Pro has been a disappointment.
        I too have the Scarpa TX Pros; big disappointment, soft upper cuff, heavy boot, really just a TX with an extra buckle. I also have the Prophets, and while I get toe bang on steep terrain, the boot works better for me than the TX Pros; stiffer cuff, better edge control IMHO.
        Being a Tele gear junkie, I bought a pair of TX Comps late last year. I really like the edge control, fit is great with custom footbeds. But no inserts for the tech tele bindings..
        Last edited by chamonix; 26th November 2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I have been on NTN for at least 5 years now, I have skied both the Freedom and the Freeride and like them both, like the Freedom better,. I have not had the same snow buildup with the Freedoms that you have, but I tour less than you do. I'm still waiting for the Meidjo to work out the kinks before investing in a pair, even though everything I've heard about them makes me hopeful that when it is fully developed it will truly be the "holy grail" we've been waiting for, if not by Meido, by somebody else.

I can't help you with the bindings, but I can help you with the boots. I have both the Tx and the TX Pro, both are to roomy for my skinny ankles and foot. I have replaced my stock Intuition liners on my TX Pro boots with Intuition High volume Luxury liners, a huge increase in performance and fit, thicker liner and stiffer foam made the TX Pro the best fitting highest performing boot I've ever skied. On my TX boots, as the Luxury liner is to stiff to tour in, I used the Intuition Pro Tour Liner with the special thick tongue and extra padding to get a pretty good fit as there was no high volume Pro Tour liner available until this year. Now that the High Volume (HV) Pro Tour liner is available for the first time this year, I plan on getting a pair even though my pair of extra padded liners are only 2 years old, as the High Volume liners are that big of an improvement in fit and performance over the stock liners, if the boots are to roomy, as any other other ski related purchase I've made in the last 10 or more years.

Comment

Gunks Ray,
            Thanks a million for that tip on the liners!
            Jim

RE: Meidjo reliability in-bounds. I think the binding has been absolutely fine for lift skiing, when the snow isn't deep. But throw in powder or having to fiddle for touring and that's when things start to go sideways.

Comment

I skied cold smoke with Dostie the other day and we were both on Meidjo 1.2s. There were no problems with snow buildup for me and I didn't see Craig struggling with that either. I didn't skin in them as we went for a hike over bare tundra to get to the goods, so all I can vouch for right now is how they ski on the down. I agree with everyone who says they ski great. I've skied Freerides and Freedoms and I liked Meidjos a lot more. Part of it certainly is the weight. But also having a tech toe made my connection to Dostie's v6s so solid. I feel like I could ski as fast and danger as I want on them. FOr me, the deal breakers as they exist on the 1.2s are needing to take the ski off to switch between tour and ski modes, the little switch for that which requires you to remove your gloves to operate, and no brakes. If they can solve those problems, I will buy them.

My boots are TXs and I suspect my feet have changed shape/developed some scar tissue that affects the volume fit. I cooked them a couple of nights before and was in agony waiting to get my pass. I pulled the footbeds out while we were waiting and they were fine from then on.

Comment

Originally posted by jnicol View Post
                Snow build up: This is one of the most frustrating things about this binding. Even more than the above breakages. And was a big problem last year with the warm weather and wet, packy snow.
                I agree with you Jnicol . NTN Freeride and Freedom have issues with snow build up too , but it's worse with the Meidjos IMO . Not a problem in light dry powder , but when the fresh snow is a bit wet , it can be very frustrating .

Meidjos do ski and tour really nice though ...

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post

Being a Tele gear junkie,
                  ... and you haven't bought a pair of Meidjos yet ! Come on Cham , treat yourself . You've got enough of those Dynafit bindings .
                  Telemark Pyrenees has the Meidjo 2.0 in stock : http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/...-p-375586.html

Comment

Good information in this thread, thanks.

I'm not sure what Moonlight has over the original TTS (other than they claim to have longer springs)?

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
                      FOr me, the deal breakers as they exist on the 1.2s are needing to take the ski off to switch between tour and ski modes, the little switch for that which requires you to remove your gloves to operate, and no brakes. If they can solve those problems, I will buy them.
                      Well , it's a bit tricky , but you can switch from tour to ski mode without taking your skis off . You may need to remove your gloves though .

Comment

Originally posted by silow View Post
                        ... and you haven't bought a pair of Meidjos yet ! Come on Cham , treat yourself . You've got enough of those Dynafit bindings .
                        Telemark Pyrenees has the Meidjo 2.0 in stock : http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/...-p-375586.html
                        Speak of the devil. I was just looking at the Meijdos 2.0 on the T-P website. With the Euro at 1.05 for US, I am seriously tempted. I would ski them a lot at the resort first, to sort out the bugs. Too bad I can't ski them with my Prophets (no inserts). But I do have a pair of TX and TX Pros..
                        Last edited by chamonix; 27th November 2015, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
                          Speak of the devil. I was just looking at the Meijdos 2.0 on the T-P website. With the Euro at 1.05 for US, I am seriously tempted. I would ski them a lot at the resort first, to sort out the bugs. Too bad I can't ski them with my Prophets (no inserts). But I do have a pair of TX and TX Pros..
                          Great, I'm looking forward to the close up pics of the updates and the report on how you like them!

Comment

Appreciate all the candid feedback, jnicol, keep it coming. I pre-ordered the Outlaws and I am still considering the Meijdos but I would probably fall into "smash it with a hammer" owner until some of the other bugs are worked out.

Here is a look at how a local Seattle skier addressed some of the issues you encountered, scroll to bottom of thread for some significant mods:

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing...?topic=33825.0

Comment

No experience embedded in this, but figured y'all might want the details on what's new with Meidjo v2.0 versus v1.2.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Working...
                              X