No announcement yet.

something else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You ain't kidding. Esperanza Spalding is the real deal. Student at Berklee College of Music when she was eighteen, professor there at nineteen.

Last edited by cesare; 26 July 2020, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• The Herbie hancock is a little over my head. That kind of music feels like it's for other musicians more than the average listener. The sting cut is nice. I like that a lot.

My Good friend Jon Van Wie went to berklee. He told me that he met Steve Vai when he was there while standing on the same line to sign up for some studio time for a class. He said Vai had put it all on paper as well as be able to play like crazy... Jon left us some years ago due to bone cancer. He was a great player himself... Missed by all who knew him...

the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

• Anybody who can get into Berklee... dayumn!

I knew some van Wie's growing up. Not the most common name but probably more in upstate New York than anywhere else in the US. I remember a Bob van Wie. My home town was Amsterdam, surrounded by dozens of other towns with Dutch names.
        Last edited by cesare; 27 July 2020, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• I knew some Van Wies in the Albany area as well. Dairy farmers out in Voorheesville (is that Dutch enough for ya'?). Gail Van Wie was a sweet heart who worked as a banquet waitress at the Italian American Community Center on Washington Avenue Extension.
          Last edited by bastardsonoffhw; 27 July 2020, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• What does the "Van" stand for in these freakydeaky Dutch names?

I once crossed paths with a Vanderloop but never thought to ask.

Comment

• efectos de guitarra

woohoo

....OK, I really like her.

Comment

• Originally posted by aqua toque View Post
                What does the "Van" stand for in these freakydeaky Dutch names?
                The google machine tells me it means "from". But I think it more likely that it refers to a vehicle down by the river.

Comment

• Ah yes, that makes perfect sense.

So if this guy happened to be Dutch and resided in such a vehicle he would be known as....

Van van Van down by the river.

Comment

• Mo' Kathleen Edwards...

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

• And a chorus I can never disagree with....I want more...Kacey Cubero

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

• Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
                        Bromberg was a favorite of mine when I was young. I can't believe there wasn't a live version from the 70's of a few different songs like, "New Lee Hiway blues", or "The Holdup". He wrote "the holdup" with George Harrison believe it or not.... His version of Jerry Jeff's, "Mr Bojangles" is widely considered the best version of that song ever done. He adds some funny narration to it too...

Anyway, here's New lee,... but it's not a live cut.

One more piece of cardboard pie!!!
                        I can't find any of the David Bromberg albums, I had on LP. (ie records) Not available on CDs.
                        Sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                          Mo' Kathleen Edwards...

Dang. Another smooth amazing tune.

And her art dept really knows how to push the buttons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AW.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	946.6 KB
ID:	103065

Comment

• Originally posted by aqua toque View Post
                            Ah yes, that makes perfect sense.

So if this guy happened to be Dutch and resided in such a vehicle he would be known as....

Van van Van down by the river.

Exactly! Now you're catching on!

Comment

• My college roommate played Wanted Dead or Alive! all the time. I loved it almost as much as he did. What a master of Americana Bromberg is. A national treasure who few people outside of a particular cohort know.

Comment

• Did a morning paddle through the St Regis Canoe area several decades ago and pulled out at Paul Smith's for a festival that featured Bromberg, nice combo!

Comment

Working...
                                X