Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transition from Duckbill to NTN help.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by James View Post
    As far as the Outlaws no one will know but if history is any guide 22 Designs is not going to put out a product that breaks near as much as the Freerides and if they do they will fix the problem immediately. I sent my 6th pair of Freerides in a few weeks ago and they broke the same way as the first ones I sent back 4 years ago.
    ... that same way being what?? broken toe cup?
    the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by hafjell View Post
      You think the Outlaws will be an improvement on the Freedoms?
      What James said. I have skied only TTS. From what I've read, Freedoms seem far more reliable than the Freerides, but not without their own issues (there's a thread about popping into tour mode on the down).

      Originally posted by airinwrite View Post
      I've come to the conclusion that I don't care to tele on skis that are over 100 mm underfoot and/or have tail rocker/early rise. Yes it's nice in pow to have a fatter ski but most of the time your skiing less than perfect pow and some sort of variable snow and a ski that is 90-100 mm under foot is way more manageable and versatile.
      There's a lot of merit to what you say. I've found that a fair amount of side cut and rocker can make a pair of skis too turny for my taste, esp. in challenging snow conditions. I don't know if I'd say 100mm is the cutoff, but it's certainly close. The overall shape and weight of the skis seem integral to that equation.

      Comment


      • #33
        Yes, right around 100 mm would be fine. I've been spending a fair amount of time this season on some og neon Explosivs and it's amazing how these 20 yo ski handle ****ty snow. It's the combination of less sidecut, stiffness and mass. I want a ski that's around 100 mm underfoot with a turn radius of 30-35 m and a slight early rise tapered tip and flat tail. Same stiffness as the Explosiv but a bit lighter. 185-190 length. That would be my ideal off piste and touring ski.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
          ... that same way being what?? broken toe cup?

          Yes. I have also cracked 5 frames. So 7 broken total 6 of which were replaced.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by James View Post
            Yes. I have also cracked 5 frames. So 7 broken total 6 of which were replaced.
            ah ok, I misread your first post thinking that your broke 6 toe cups...
            the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by airinwrite View Post
              Yes, right around 100 mm would be fine. I've been spending a fair amount of time this season on some og neon Explosivs and it's amazing how these 20 yo ski handle ****ty snow. It's the combination of less sidecut, stiffness and mass. I want a ski that's around 100 mm underfoot with a turn radius of 30-35 m and a slight early rise tapered tip and flat tail. Same stiffness as the Explosiv but a bit lighter. 185-190 length. That would be my ideal off piste and touring ski.
              Convince the folks at Down Skis to offer a longer CD102 and that's pretty much it.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by dschane View Post
                Convince the folks at Down Skis to offer a longer CD102 and that's pretty much it.
                Yeah, I already put my vote in. I have a buddy who is now pressing some of his own skis and we're talking about that exact type of ski. We'll probably try it next summer/fall.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Very timely thread, my T2X have gone past the slight cracks stage and now admit snow at one boot's bellows crack. Time to cash out some vacation to make the boot/binding upgrade.

                  I shall go the same way as hafjell for the new slippers and grippers, but I will opt for the TX-Pro if that's what's available at the time.

                  In the meantime, gorilla tape on the inside and seam grip on the outside......
                  Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    RRM, please keep me posted on the transition and the rig you settle on. I'm hoping to ski the TX and TX Pro before purchasing.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      TX Pro's just arrived. Gorgeous. Fit like a glove. Scarpa NA ran out of my size so buying them locally wasn't possible. I'll pay a shop to heat the liners? What's reasonable to pay? Happy to give them the business. Next up: boards and bindings. Freedoms for the latter, and 105s for the former? Volkl Nunataqs?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by hafjell View Post
                        TX Pro's just arrived. Gorgeous. Fit like a glove. Scarpa NA ran out of my size so buying them locally wasn't possible. I'll pay a shop to heat the liners? What's reasonable to pay? Happy to give them the business. Next up: boards and bindings. Freedoms for the latter, and 105s for the former? Volkl Nunataqs?
                        I just went through a similar process. Skiing 40+ years, with 15+ on tele. Prior setup was Scarpa T2s on G3 Targas mounted on 190 cm Atomic TM20s. East coast hard pack setup. I like the Atomics a lot, but the T2s were too big to begin with and once they packed out I was swimming in them. Finally got all three of my kids skiing to the point where I decided to upgrade to an NTN setup. I ended up ordering a complete rig from Telemark Pyrenees. They were great to deal with and the pricing with the current exchange rate is fantastic. If you know what you want (not sure I would want to deal with making a return) it is a great way to go. New setup is: Scarpa TX Pros with NTN Freerides mounted on Dynastar Cham 97s (184s). After some back and forth between the Cham 97 and the Cham HM 97 I decided to go with the regular Chams. The intended use is (sadly) 99% inbounds East coast, so the additional weight doesn't bother me. Plus, I'm 6' tall and pushing 200#, so I don't have any issues driving them. First two runs felt weird, and then it all clicked and I'm loving the setup. They are real crud busters. I also put a mounting plate on my Atomics, so I have them as another alternative for real hardback. Haven't tried them with the NTNs yet.

                        BTW, I baked the TX Pros myself after reading through the long thread on this at Teton Gravity. It wasn't that hard and I'm happy with the results.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Plum, great to hear you had such a quick transition. Do you have the url for the TGR thread?
                          I bought too late in the year, after Scarpa N.A. and every New England retailer were sold out, and lucked into a silly deal at Telemark Pyrenees. 40% off, shipping included, and they took 2.5 days to reach my door. Not shilling for a foreign shop (was told by Scarpa I would have to wait until November for restock) but did want to pass on a fantastic experience.
                          Now looking for a shop which can install inserts...

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by hafjell View Post
                            Now looking for a shop which can install inserts...
                            If you've mounted bindings before, it's pretty easy. If not, you'd be well advised to practice on scrap wood or the like, but it's still pretty easy. The investment in the tools is probably about what you'd pay to have a shop do it, maybe less.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by hafjell View Post
                              Plum, great to hear you had such a quick transition. Do you have the url for the TGR thread?
                              I bought too late in the year, after Scarpa N.A. and every New England retailer were sold out, and lucked into a silly deal at Telemark Pyrenees. 40% off, shipping included, and they took 2.5 days to reach my door. Not shilling for a foreign shop (was told by Scarpa I would have to wait until November for restock) but did want to pass on a fantastic experience.
                              Now looking for a shop which can install inserts...
                              Here is the thread on cooking intuition liners: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...tuition-Liners

                              I did not bother with the "boot spreader" since the TX Pros open up pretty well. I also molded them with my orthotics by using double sided tape to hold my orthotics on the bottom of my feet and then covering them with a very thin sock. Put the liners on when they were hot and them slid them into the boot using a very flexible sheet of plastic (lubed with cooking spray) as a giant shoe horn.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by hafjell View Post
                                TX Pro's just arrived. Gorgeous. Fit like a glove. Scarpa NA ran out of my size so buying them locally wasn't possible. I'll pay a shop to heat the liners? What's reasonable to pay? Happy to give them the business. Next up: boards and bindings. Freedoms for the latter, and 105s for the former? Volkl Nunataqs?
                                You should put custom footbeds in your new TX Pros IMHO.
                                I have had good luck with binding orders from T-P too. Did you have to pay any duty on the boots? Thinking of ordering a pair of TX Comps from T-P. No one in N.A. has my size in stock.
                                I really like my Nunataqs, though mine are set up for AT with a set of Dynafit Verticals (also from T-P).
                                Last edited by chamonix; 27 February 2015, 02:44 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X