No Buzz, no hype, no anticipation at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Buzz, no hype, no anticipation at all

Since I started Tele skiing back in the dawn of Tele, (I was also a X-country racer) I can't remember a single summer or fall that was so lacking in any buzz or anticipation of the new gear that was about to come out in the upcoming season.

There is nothing, as far as I know to anticipate for this new upcoming season, no new bindings, no really new or different skis, and no new boots, just nothing. Must be pretty tough for a blogger like Dostie to find something to get excited over.

After years of anticipation of what kind of new gear the up coming season will introduce, I have no plans to get ANY new gear this year, none, zip, zero, and if anybody saw the obscene amount of gear that I have (yes I have an addiction) they would know how unusual that is.

Anybody else feel the same way?

It's cuz you already bought everything, doh!

Well, I'm buzzin cuz I just got a job, so for me, the hype is moving closer to the goods.

But for a gear buzz, maybe you need to think laterally...for instance, I just bought a tandem mountain bike, and it is da bomb!! I look forward to going out on rides with the wife, would have rode today but we were unpacking, but tomorrow it's trail slayin time!!

Have you checked out the newer patterned fat skis or perhaps TTS?

Maybe add boardin' to your quiver of tricks or get some carving skis and give the beer league alpiners something to think about

I just bought some Crispi Shiver Randos for my TTS rig, been waiting two seasons for these babies, so I am stoked!
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 19 October 2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Gunks,

Tele gear is pretty mature, so it is definitely hard to find new stuff for tele. But there is plenty of new stuff for backcountry coming. Nothing huge, but the big stuff has already been announced (TTS, NTN Freedom, Clip Skins). Tele skiers are basically satisfied with the old gear they already have because it is so much better than the crap we used last century. Even new gear, however, grows stale over time since what really matters isn't the gear, but what we do with it. So personally I'm looking forward to just getting back on snow with my "old" skis that are only 90ish at the waist. Anything more is a waste IMO. YMMV!

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
        Gunks,

Tele gear is pretty mature, so it is definitely hard to find new stuff for tele. But there is plenty of new stuff for backcountry coming. Nothing huge, but the big stuff has already been announced (TTS, NTN Freedom, Clip Skins). Tele skiers are basically satisfied with the old gear they already have because it is so much better than the crap we used last century. Even new gear, however, grows stale over time since what really matters isn't the gear, but what we do with it. So personally I'm looking forward to just getting back on snow with my "old" skis that are only 90ish at the waist. Anything more is a waste IMO. YMMV!
        Oh lordy, well stated! I am excited this year to be doing more earning of turns and less riding up, excited to be back down to only one job so more time to just slow down a bit, not feel so compelled to get as many laps in as possible. The plan is to use the same gear in a different way.

Comment

Are you forgetting about NTN's Technicolor version Freeride? I'm seriously considering getting a pair. Don't judge me.

I do wonder why the Comps still don't have tech inserts.

Comment

While true there are no completely new free heel boots or bindings being released at the moment, there's always something new to be found in the ski department, even if it's just fine tuning of a previously released model or (gasp) the newest over-hyped style design gimmick. sometimes it's even just taking a reliable, well established older design and simply updating it with more recent features - a little early rise here, a little lower R there, a little stiffer somewhere, etc. Fondling my new skis as we speak ......

Comment

Like Paul said, there is so much to be excited about...

A couple weeks past I modded some skis with scales and mounted them with TTS Axls, last week I got some new to me pants (thanks Gary!), Crispi Evo and Shiver Randos are on the way, in the next couple weeks I'll build a second set of TTS Axls and possibly set my wife's BC 125's up as TTS.

I'm thinking about getting some midfat skis and rigging those with a second set of TTS using the new toe piece.

The bulk of my skis use the Blizzard first gen sliding plate, it's probably time to move on, so I pretty much need a couple newish non patterned skis to fill out my quiver... some fatties, and some mid fats; already have some skinny and fat patterned skis.

Life is good, esp now that I am moving closer to skiing

Comment

I'm in the play with what you've got camp this season too. The last ten years have been pretty dynamic. AXLs, TTS, NTN, rocker, etc. I did pick up some skating stuff so I have something new to fiddle with.
                Eshew obfuscation.

Comment

I just got my first new pair of ski pants in 13 years. No more car rides after skiing with the windows down. Now that's exciting!

Comment

This winter, I get to figure out how to make these BD Amperage skis turn. A nice ski in soft snow, but
                    on hard snow they tried to kill me a few times last winter. Not as predictable as my Manhattans, but it was time to try something new.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	80343
                    Last edited by chamonix; 20 October 2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
                      I just got my first new pair of ski pants in 13 years. No more car rides after skiing with the windows down. Now that's exciting!
                      Umm... you didn't wash your pants for thirteen years?

Comment

Originally posted by Edgewood View Post
                        Umm... you didn't wash your pants for thirteen years?
                        After 13 years of 50+ days/season that funk wouldn't wash out. After one wear they would start to reek again. After a couple of touring days, yeeowza!

Comment

I'm as excited as I've ever been about all the new skis coming out. Couple of years ago I decided to check out all the variations in different shapes, cambers and stiffness and I've had a ball. I'm amazed how differently skis ski with tweaks to their shapes and flex. Had a bad snow year here in the Sierra last year, so I didn't get a lot of time on my new Praxis Powboards and Concepts or my G3 Manhattans. Can't wait to get more time on them, as they're all a hoot in very different ways. Getting ready to mount up some Volkl Nunataqs and I'm exited to find out how the very subtle but fully reverse camber handles variable conditions. We live in an amazing time as far as ski design goes. May be that when all the cold smoke settles, I go back to a daily bc driver like my Rapid 'Transits, but it's sure fun to play with all the new shapes. Something waxless like the Voile Vector looks like fun too. Come on, winter, hurry up!

Comment

TMI, Grant.

I just need a good ski swap to get me going. Then we open shop and start the binding swaps.....

Comment

Bomber Bishops are coming back. That's news!

Also, lots of cool skis these days. The boutique ski makers have been doing most of the innovation the last few years and if you aren't paying attention to them, you really don't know what's new. The rockered skis I now own blow everything else I ever had before out of the water.

Comment

Working...
                              X