Paclite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paclite

I am looking for a new hardshell jacket and am interested in a very light, packable shell but something I could wear all day as a layer if needed.
    I ski mostly in proshell pants (theta sv), love the proshell, but I am interested in something lighter and am looking at a couple of jackets that are made with Paclite.

Marmot Minimalist, Patgucchi SuperCell and Arctx Alpha SL are the models on my radar.

Is this Paclite stuff adequately waterproof and breathable?
    Any experience with any of these three shells?

(I am a bit of a hardshell luddite, so references to softshell alternatives will probably be lost on me, but you can try if you like, especially if something is allegedly more waterproof than paclite).

These aren't cheap, so help me out.

Paclite is awesome. At least my experience with it has been. I looked for a new Paclite shell last year and ended up settling on Gore Tex Active which is their newer version of lightweight waterproof. I ended up with the OR Axiom and liked it enough to buy one for my wife. They both weathered last winter and this summer well. The only downside is probably that they're super thin so if you took a bad spill or abrade it some how I wouldn't be surprised by a tear or rip. Barring incident it lasts well; I have 15 year old patagucci paclite pants that are none the worse for wear.

Comment

Paclite comes from an era where I flat out was done with giving a hoot about the usual marketing hype with waterproof breathable. I don't have any experience with it, but do have some with the latest generation Goretex which IS more breathable than all earlier versions of Gore while remaining as waterproof. IME, e-Vent and NeoShell are equally waterproof and breathable, meaning, more breathable than earlier versions of Gore. Hope that helps.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

All I know is my Arcteryx SV hardshell is the shiznit.
        Coastal Crest Snow Patrol
        https://brentheffner.smugmug.com/
        http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJibmstr
        https://www.strava.com/athletes/1816044

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
          Paclite comes from an era where I flat out was done with giving a hoot about the usual marketing hype with waterproof breathable. I don't have any experience with it, but do have some with the latest generation Goretex which IS more breathable than all earlier versions of Gore while remaining as waterproof. IME, e-Vent and NeoShell are equally waterproof and breathable, meaning, more breathable than earlier versions of Gore. Hope that helps.
          IMO, it was the first time they got it right. I don't know that you're ever going to get super breathable out of waterproof, so I think venting is essential. One problem with many of the GT Active products is that Gore put a weight limit on the finished garment as part of the licensing. Zippers are heavy so a lot of these products don't have pit zips. The paclite pants I own have 3/4 length leg zips, and I've very much appreciated them. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Comment

I have the Alpha SL Hybrid which is Paclite with a heavier fabric in the high wear areas. Light and packable; it has done right when needed including two straight days of skiing in all day rain and two and half hours of heavy rain while mountain biking last weekend. Great 3 season shell.

Comment

Working...
            X