Status of Parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status of Parks

Anybody been thru a National Park since the shutdown? What happens if you stop on the side of 120 in Tuolomne Meadows and hike from the road? Are they actually ticketing people?

Might be a good time to ride that off limits trail you always wanted to hit. Somebody try it and let us know how it goes!

Comment

There was a stink on the news about the WWII memorial and NPS released a statement that "open air" monuments would remain open. That being said boaters with Grand Canyon permits are being denied access to the Lee's Ferry road. Considering the confusion I'd probably opt for a forgiveness over permission mentality, but that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt J View Post
        Considering the confusion I'd probably opt for a forgiveness over permission mentality, but that's me.
        I think its definitely ripe for a "what? I can't do this?" approach. Considering the circumstances, a lawsuit challenging an arrest for trespassing on public land would be interesting. I don't think that "a general government shutdown" is adequate reason to keep people off the public lands. Highly contrary to the American spirit and fundamental conception of public lands.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaahb View Post
          I think its definitely ripe for a "what? I can't do this?" approach. Considering the circumstances, a lawsuit challenging an arrest for trespassing on public land would be interesting. I don't think that "a general government shutdown" is adequate reason to keep people off the public lands. Highly contrary to the American spirit and fundamental conception of public lands.
          Agreed- my attitude is I don't see a barrier, I am going to feel free to go. I feel so bad for the Grand boaters- we faced this prospect in 2011 ahead of my first & only trip but luckily a shutdown was averted. I would have gone crazy if that was the reason I couldn't go have done the trip after having the permit for like 5 years ahead of time.
          Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

Comment

During the shut down in the 90's a group of us were camping and climbing in Joshua Tree when the feds closed shop. They rousted all of us out of the camp ground and informed us the park was closed and we were not permitted back in. We promptly drove just outside the park onto unregulated BLM set up camp and hiked back in for daily climbing. I think as long as you stay clear of the facilities they maintain you should be good to go. Kind of crazy that they feel they can lock us out of public lands like these.

Comment

I don't have a problem with limiting access to developed areas. If there's no one to clean the bathrooms or take out the trash, maybe developed campgrounds shouldn't be used. It's hard to imagine Yosemite Valley, which is a small city, with no one one to mind the store. On the other hand, the Forest Service has very few people minding the backcountry with or without the shutdown, and I doubt they are making a major effort to block trailheads. Some backcountry rangers and other federal wilderness types wouldn't have any enthusiasm for blanket closing of wilderness; there could have been interesting internal discussions.

It would be interesting to know what, if anything, they are doing about the Whitney zone.

I wonder what, if any, federal search/rescue capability is considered an "essential" service for closed areas?

Comment

http://gawker.com/gop-congressman-ma...ium=socialflow
                “Taking away someone’s opinion is no different than sewing a man’s butthole shut.”

Comment

Federal parking lots and beach access ramps along the Outer Banks of NC are also chained off and closed. As elsewhere no enforcement in sight. Surfers, kiters, windsurfers, fishermen etc., are gaining access to the beaches via private lands or town, state and county points. Probably the same with all Federal holdings.

"There's a whole lot of reward on the other side of risk."

Comment

Since when do we need "permission" to go on land that WE paid for.....Just go.....Teleman

Comment

I was surprised to see signs posted and free parking at the Carson Pass upper and lower PCT trail heads last Wednesday. Plenty of hikers taking advantage ......

Comment

Rules are rules, they don't change because no one is looking.

We don't own the land, we simply hold it in trust to protect it from the fools who would chew it up and spit it out.

If you think you are better than the rules, then maybe you need to work harder at understanding why they exist in the first place.

If everyone took the attitude of "do what you want" and there was no one to police the rules, we'd have a situation that no one wants, not even Mr Teleman.

I can imagine that this same conversation is going on at forums for off road trucks, atv's, ginseng hunters, etc...

Be an advocate for the natural environment, don't be an arse.

I'm not saying I like the rules, but I'd be much more inclined to work with the rule makers to change things over time, this is how we get more access vs more rules. For instance, mtb's on National Park trails, it'd be a shame for that to get messed up.
                        Last edited by Nurse Ben; 4 October 2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

On the southwest side of Lake Tahoe they have closed some roads that get closed in winter anyway but are not making any effort to keep people off the national forest land. It's kind of like winter conditions except there's a lot more roadside parking and the skiing sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                            Might be a good time to ride that off limits trail you always wanted to hit. Somebody try it and let us know how it goes!
                            Ahhh, long ago I rode, on a cruiser bike, the Rockslide Trail from Tamarack on Tioga Road to the base of El Cap. It was great fun, though carrying a bike across those two talus sections was tricky.

As for the OP's question, Yosemite NP does enforce its rules. I have no doubt that Tioga Road is being patrolled, and if they see a car parked at the trailhead, they'll deal with it. However, if someone was to quickly drop you off at, let's say, the Maroulumne Dome turnout, you could have a very nice time hiking around the Cathedral Range, though I still wouldn't linger on the major trails.

Comment

Where oh where did the Americans go! You got it wrong NB, piss on the idiots in Washington, go! If they can't pass a budget, explain what a government is.....bunch a bozzo's....This country wasn't founded by a mob of wimps....Be an American, take a hike! Teleman

Comment

Working...
                              X