How to get new t2s for <=$500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get new t2s for <=$500

I expect to ski for another 15. My t1s will last that, skiing in area; there are metal-edged tourers in my future. So my last telemark boots will be t2 ecos. List $600 is too much and I want them for the start of this season. Marmot and it's early sales is dead. Know of any Tahoe area shops like Alpenglow that traditionally have early sales I could pounce on, or must I hope and pray for someone online? I know for certain I'd want that "8" stamp on the lower boot if the last is about the same as ever (15 yrs) but sure would like a mortared-brick try-on.
    nee, Whiteout

rei for $599 - ~10% for member refund, - ~5% for rei Visa card comes to about $512
    best I can do

Comment

The Googlez?

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
        That's what I've been surfing, but all quotes ~ 598, save some womens' mondo 55 and mens mondo' 12. Why I was hoping someone would know someplace that reliably had early season sales & I could pounce.

Thought about that, Adams, but the ~ 8% sales tax on the list bloats it back up. Not that I'm always a thief and don't sometimes pay my use taxes, but in that case I'd then want to buy from a rent-paying merchant who would give me full service and thermofit (can only get boots delivered at my local REI...no fit.)
        Last edited by Charley White; 22 September 2013, 04:54 PM.
        nee, Whiteout

Comment

I can do 480.00 with free shipping. i'll check to see if I have an 8 when i'm back in the shop.
          good snow comes in many different types and consistencies. STICK YER FEET IN IT!!!

Comment

A bargain hunter wearing pith hat and carrying an elephant gun! Marvelous!

Comment

I'd try them on some where. The old sizing is different than the new. Might want to even reward whomever carries them with buying them there even if it's REI. Not a lot of folks who go out on a limb with tele gear any more. You can size them and cook the thermafits yourself with a little research.
              Last edited by Matt J; 23 September 2013, 02:28 PM.

Comment

And I'd guess that the national stores do their 20% off one full price item in October. Meadowskipper seems to be already offering you that deal.

Comment

Charley White,

Since you're in NoCal, check out The Back Country next time you're in Truckee, or Alpenglow Sports in Tahoe City, or Tahoe Mountain Sports in Kings Beach.

In any case, if it is an old T2 sz 8, that was UK sizing. Probably a mondo 25.5, but maybe a 26.5 for modern boot sizing.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

As an NTN binding skier, I have to say this..... The most affordable time to switch to NTN is when you are buying new boots anyway. The scarpa Tx's are amazing boots to tour in. I have a pair myself and love them...

When I switched over, I had a skis mounted with each system, so I could use either system. I didn't know if I would like the new NTN system so I made a gradual change over rather than change everything at once and hope that I like it...

Anyway Charlie, I had to add this comment, duckbill or duckbutt both work... good to see you here...
                    the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Charlie,

tele.skier makes a good point. I have a pair of Garmont Prophet's that might fit you. PM me to figure out sizing, etc. if you're interested.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

tele.skier, you had my blood surging for a moment. Thought I'd completely missed it on the ability of ntn boots to ski old "norm" bindings. Quick search says, no, only maybe with something special like Bombers. Everything you say I believe, but those new ntn bindings are just the $xhundred too many. If I were 15 yrs younger maybe and didn't have so many other items on the wish list.....

Craig, I know all those stores but don't know their pre-season sales patterns like I did Marmot's. (BTW, one of my gloomy "life sux" moods is that you can't really buy ski gear: when you're fired to buy--now, the inventory isn't in; when the new gear hits the shelves & on sale, you're madly hitting the early snow; when you pause to shop, full-retail sultan-of-dubai prices are in effect; finally when the season ends and prices plummet, there is nothing in your size!)

Fitting--I'll go ahead and "bracket order" a fitting from REI, based on comments like "modern fit." Which leads me to share a last rant--what's best evidence of a boot's size. You really care what it's physical size is, not what you call it. You can name it with digits (mis)printed in ink on a box, or paper sticker, or with a digit molded into the plastic of the boot. Since I think the latter comes via the molding on the last, that's the one I look for. Though, now you have me fearing those lasts & their numerical imprints have changed. As for reliability of translation codexes,...REI tells me the "8" which I know also serves the 7.5 also, is a "Mondo 25.5 and 26." Scarpa's website tells me OTOH that UK 8 is a 26.5 and 27. Whose typographer is right?

Absolutely, I know you have to try them on. Q is where are they and how many trips will it take...
                        nee, Whiteout

Comment

Shell fit is the best indicator. Remove the liner and place your bare foot in the shell, sliding it forward until your toes touch the front. Measure the amount of room behind your heel. If it is between 1 and 1.5 cm the boot should fit at least 90% of people. With your foot in the liner after it has been cooked your toes should just touch the front when standing upright. When you flex your ankles, the toes should back off just a bit.

Keep it consistent and go with mondo size. Don't try to decipher the conversions. They are all over the place depending on brand and even individual models within some brands. Scarpa boots have different numbers on the cuff than on the body of the boot. I measure 10.5 US on a Brannock device, 27 mondo, and wear a 45.5 (Euro) LaSportiva Helios running shoe, which they translate as a 12 US. Crazy. Ignore the conversions.

I've always said most people buy tele boots too big and I see it every day now that I'm bootfitting again. Nearly every customer who comes in for new boots is currently skiing in boots that are too big.

We will have about the same deal televisionary is offering you when our October coupon comes out. PM me if you want the details.
                          Last edited by cesare; 24 September 2013, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
                            Shell fit is the best indicator.....
                            Keep it consistent and go with mondo size. Don't try to decipher the conversions. They are all over the place depending on brand and even individual models within some brands. Scarpa boots have different numbers on the cuff than on the body of the boot. I measure 10.5 US on a Brannock device, 27 mondo, and wear a 45.5 (Euro) LaSportiva Helios running shoe, which they translate as a 12 US. Crazy. Ignore the conversions.
                            Here's the shell I want to see, Charlie but the stamp will mark "8" like my better fitting t1s instead of these slightly too loose t2s (see CZ, above) Is not this pictured boot a "UK 9"? Until they stamp "Mondo x" into the plastic, I'm leery of that system too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0125.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	80142
                            nee, Whiteout

Comment

It appears you are looking at older boots. There are numbers still stamped into the shell, but I'm not sure they are very useful in determining size. I don't even think that 9 is a UK size. Maybe it was at one time but most manufacturers have a run of parts sizes they put together to make a boot. There are two half sizes per shell size but there seems to be more than one whole size per cuff size. The one mark that does tell you the size is the BSL or boot sole length. But that is weirdly large on tele boots because it includes the duckbill and in any case, it is the outer dimension of the sole, not inside. Sometimes I wonder if those stamped numbers are just corresponding to the lasts as in last number 9, which at some point in the past may have been based on a UK 9 foot. The sizing of the inside of the shell is mondo. Other brands break on the whole size while Scarpa breaks on the half size. A 26.5 Scarpa and a 26.5 BD are different size shells. This is why you need to shell fit your foot. That gives you a highly reliable answer to the question of size.

Scarpa has evolved multiple lasts with different shapes for different boots. The T2 Eco (and Scarpa's NTN boots) has a pretty wide and high volume last, totally the opposite of the traditional narrow and low volume Scarpa fit that persists in the current T1/Trace. If you have a pencil-shaped foot, I would not recommend a T2 Eco just as if you have a block shaped foot, I would guide you away from a T1 or TRace. In the first case you would have a hard time getting the boot to hold onto your foot and in the second, you would be crying like a baby before you could get the boot buckled. I am referring to feet that are at the extremities of those descriptions. Most average feet can work in either boot.

Comment

Working...
                              X