New Snow Saw, Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Snow Saw, Opinions?

After seeing that some of the manufactured snow saws that fit to ski pole shafts or shovel shafts use Sawzall/reciprocating saw blades and finding a 12 inch long heavy duty, coarse toothed blade at the hardware store, plus an old ski pole of mine that has the exact diameter of the lower section of my Leki Haute Route poles, I put this thing together. Weight for the blade/tubing assembly is only 2.3 ounces/67g.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1212 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	89451

Name:	IMG_1215 copy.jpg
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	89452
    The blade/handle attachment seems pretty solid and strong. The blade is fairly stiff, but is somewhat flexible laterally. It anchors solidly into the pole's Speedlock.

Name:	IMG_1220 copy.jpg
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	89453

Some opinion on the configuration of this saw would be helpful. Seems that the bump of the locking mechanism on the pole may interfere with cutting smooth snow faces...or not? No real experience so far for me in using a snow saw.

Lots of moving parts may discourage use in cold weather, at least when doing pit work. I find wood handles get all iced up close to the blade.

I use the BD saw as it works by hand or by easy connection to a pole even when wearing mittens. Right tool for the right job and there are a few good snow saws out there that connect to poles as you well know. ( At least till someone test them as I don't recall any white paper results.…Dostie?)

Sawzall blade may or may not work cutting snow of various densities in the field. Wait for field testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Valdez Telehead View Post
      Lots of moving parts may discourage use in cold weather, at least when doing pit work. I find wood handles get all iced up close to the blade.

I use the BD saw as it works by hand or by easy connection to a pole even when wearing mittens. Right tool for the right job and there are a few good snow saws out there that connect to poles as you well know. ( At least till someone test them as I don't recall any white paper results.…Dostie?)

Sawzall blade may or may not work cutting snow of various densities in the field. Wait for field testing.

Thanks for the input VT. The photo of the thing disassembled is included only so anyone might evaluate its design. No moving parts or assembly required on this, as it stays assembled, except to stick the aluminum handle into the upper part of my ski pole and shut the Speedlock clamp, after pulling the pole apart. This could easily be done without removing mittens. It could also be used without attaching it to a pole, using the aluminum tube as a handle. The wooden dowel is enclosed inside the aluminum tube, and is only there to make the connection solid. The short, tapered extensions of the dowel onto the blade are there to reduce lateral stress concentrations in the blade where it comes out of the handle.

The goal here is to come up with a light weight, sturdy setup that is still able to cut to some depth.

Comment

Working...
      X