Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telemark article at Wild Snow

Wild Snow article:
    You might think telemark was a graveyard of gear and ethos, struggling to regain some relevance. The Turn is alive and well.

Sorry, double post, please delete one

Comment

I believe the author of said article would be none other than our own JackO. Good job shining a light on some hard truths, buddy!

Comment

Well said. I particularly liked: "Telemark will only see a resurgence when it somehow sheds its status as the choice of the weirdos. . . ."

Comment

I question the notion that tele was ever "cool" or "in".

Comment

unfortunately, i don't think tele will ever be cool or in again*. too many other options vs when tele "restarted". Tele no longer has any functional advantage BC over AT, or perhaps even over some split board options today. And in bounds, it is now a pure style choice with gear that is more expensive than alpine, less available, and a turn that is harder to learn. I don't think it is going to come back purely on style points.

Tele has one advantage IMO. it is harder. it can challenge an expert alpine skier on intermediate terrain. This is the "teach your kids to ski, while you learn tele" effect that i think we have all seen. I think that same thing can breath new life into skiing for expert skiers that don't have access to good terrain. If was an expert skier mvoing to Minneapolis, and had to ski at afton alps, the only options to stay entertained would be bash gates or tele (or bash gates on tele).

*save that viral video of Lindsey Vonn and Michela Shiffrin shredding on tele skis with a cut to Bode Miller commenting that he needs to get scarpa to make him a Bode signature model tele boot.

Comment

I have a decades-long, unblemished record of questioning any assertion that tele is "harder" on modern gear. I've done both and for the life of me I don't know how people can say that with a straight face.

I think tele was considered "cool" for about 45 minutes sometime around mid-February 2002.

Comment

Thanks Bobby. It was fun they ran the piece. 99% of the thinking I do on those topics comes from dialogue here - so much appreciated to all.

Comment

Originally posted by bastardsonoffhw View Post
                  I have a decades-long, unblemished record of questioning any assertion that tele is "harder" on modern gear. I've done both and for the life of me I don't know how people can say that with a straight face.
                  Really? Just on my own equipment, i.e. tele equipment, I frequently make alpine turns because they are easier. They require less balance, edging is easier, and I don't have to do a set of lunges down the hill. Seems a pretty odd assertion to question when virtually everyone's experience but yours backs up the assertion. But everyone is different, so maybe it is no harder to you. :shrug:

Comment

I think tele was considered "cool" for about 45 minutes sometime around mid-February 2002.
                    Depends what you mean by hard. I think there is no question that it is harder to go really fast on tele gear. On the other hand, for a competent skier in reasonable shape, I think it is not difficult at all, on either tele or alpine gear, to just get down the mountain. Yeah, if you're on some 55-degree icy no-fall slope, you better have good technique and alpine is probably a lot safer. But other than being all extremo-rad, simply getting down typical "inbounds double black" or even "steep backcountry couloir" in reasonably smooth style in decent snow conditions isn't hard on either one.

Comment

I guess it's physically "harder" but doesn't require anymore skill or more-difficult-to-master technique. It's just skiing.

Comment

I guess it's physically "harder" but doesn't require anymore skill or more-difficult-to-master technique. It's just skiing.
                        Oh for ****s sake are you on crack? If tele turns was no more difficult than p-turns the everyone would have tele gear and be able to ski both tele and P-turns. Stop, stop with the oh’ contrary opposition here! It adds nothing of value here other than to demonstrate your dillusion on this topic.

Bottom line is being proficient as a telemark skier will make you a better alpine/ P-turn skier!! As it teaches you balance and fore/ aft weighting awareness.
                        Function in disaster, finish in style.

Comment

Blah, blah, blah. It's no more difficult. Period. But I seem to have struck a nerve. Can't help but wonder why.

Comment

No nerve here but you’re obviously some kind of poser. You talk the game but are most likely a lame skier. Not to bring politics into this but you sound like some kind of MAGA moron! Maybe just try to STFU
                            Function in disaster, finish in style.

Comment

Telemark is both a simple way to turn skis…

… and a cult to a few…🤪

Comment

Working...
                              X