Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Scarpa liners the same for half sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Scarpa liners the same for half sizes?

Talking TX Pro here if it matters. I know the shells break on the half-size. But is the liner for a 27.5 the same as a 28? The Scarpa website says the liners are "lasted" differently but does that mean I can mold a 27.5 liner to my 28.0 feet just fine or is there some other difference that would make molding them difficult? I'm pretty good at molding liners in a convection oven (thanks Big Tim!) and have the necessary homemade pads. Thanks-
    Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

i have heard three different stories on that. they all could be true, for different years of boots?

story #1, they are exactly the same.
    story #2, the liner is the same, but is premolded with different size dummy feet
    story #3, they are different, same outter dimensions, but thicker foam on the smaller 1/2 size.

I have a hard time believing number one because the liners are marked different, and why go to the hassle/expense of having retailers stock 2x the number of boots needed, deal with the stock and production etc, etc.
    number two or threee could very well be true.

that said, i have a bigger right than left foot. i am right at 26.0 on the left, and right at 25.5 on the right. I have molded 25.5 liners and had zero problems on the left foot. I have also molded 26.0 liners and had no issues on my right. I do use a larger that normal molding toe cap (the "official" intuition rubbery one with some added foam in front to create a little more toe room forward)

Comment

story #4, the liner is the same, but they use a different insole/footbed to make it fit differently

(I have no idea about the veracity of #4, I'm just the messenger. Personally I think story 2 seems most likely in most cases.)

Comment

Originally posted by jasonq View Post
        i have heard three different stories on that. they all could be true, for different years of boots?

...that said, i have a bigger right than left foot. i am right at 26.0 on the left, and right at 25.5 on the right. I have molded 25.5 liners and had zero problems on the left foot. I have also molded 26.0 liners and had no issues on my right. I do use a larger that normal molding toe cap (the "official" intuition rubbery one with some added foam in front to create a little more toe room forward)
        I have a larger right foot than my left. ALL my Scarpa boots are a size 28.5, which means a size 29 shell. So my solution is a very thin sock on my right foot, and a thicker sock on the left.

Incidentally , I have never felt a need to heat mold my Tele boots, with Intuition liners. Maybe I like a lose fit, but don't want to size down.
        ps. I vote for number 3

Comment

Originally posted by bobbytooslow View Post
          story #4, the liner is the same, but they use a different insole/footbed to make it fit differently

(I have no idea about the veracity of #4, I'm just the messenger. Personally I think story 2 seems most likely in most cases.)
          This. At least that's the story I've always heard. Shell size is what's important. Scarpa 27.5/28 are the same shell. You can check the sole length against what fits you now.

Comment

I just baked a 27.5 and a 28 Intuition liner back to back and I think they were different. The 28 was actually more spacious inside than the 27.5. How they achieve that I don’t know, can you possibly fit it, probably. The trick is really to lightly buckle it if you need the volume in the liner and to crank it down if you want to make more space.

Comment

I think it's story no. 4, though I think the 27.5 comes with a footbed and 28.0 does not, and not that they have different footbeds, but it's been a while since I've purchased new boots (because I'm saving a little each month for the new Scarpa NTN mold, which at this point, has overtaken my retirement account in value). Someone here who recently purchased a new pair of 28.0s could verify my memory.

Regardless, Intuition (stand alone) brand liners do not have half sizes, so does anyone think they have a completely different sizing method for Scarpa branded Intuition liners? I'm dubious (and convinced it's the bootfitting placebo effect).

Comment

#s 2 and 4. Check the Intuition web site. They only make liners in whole sizes. Why would they double their actual lasts to suit the marketing strategy of one customer? The reality is the liners themselves are the same. After pre-molding them to a dummy foot—let’s not call it a last because a last is what boots are built around and that’s not what's happening here—they slap a half-sized footbed in, stamp a number on them, and ship to Scarpa. If you hold them up sole to sole there is a difference of less than 3 mm. That’s because of the pre-molding. I have always bought either size as available and after cooking there is no difference.​

No, I do not have proof proper, just superpowers of deductive reasoning and years of fitting myself, friends, and customers.

And I don’t know where that pink unicorn came from. First time posting here from my phone and shute’s just flying all over the screen.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by cesare; 24 January 2023, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dschane View Post
                  I'm saving a little each month for the new Scarpa NTN mold
                  Are they coming out with new boots next year? And thanks all for weighing in.

Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

Comment

Originally posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post

Are they coming out with new boots next year? And thanks all for weighing in.
                    The best guess is that Scarpa will release new NTN boot(s) for the 2024-25 season. Some here are more in the know and can perhaps say more. I’m lobbying the Internet tubes for a bellowed Maestrale and a F1, or maybe an Alien, both with tech fittings.

Comment

I can buy this logic, but let’s also remember that Scarpa is kind of on their own island with the 27.5 and the 28 being the same shell.

An Intuition directly from them is going to be a 27 and 27.5 is the same liner. So, that’s another weird moving part. Once again, I’m sure you can make it work, but the two I molded last night were a 27 and a 28, definitely different. Both could and have been used in different shells, but they end of with a different fit tendency, the 28 being roomier inside.

Comment

The question is moot IFF you cook your liners.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

I just got new T4s in a 28, my old ones were 27.5, and I can't feel a difference. I can compare the two when I get reunited with my old boots in a few days. One of the Fey bros told me there is no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                            this is always what I have believed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                              You should always bake your liners and do a proper fit of your boots. That’s the whole point of this tech. Remember to bake your liners before yourself!
                              Function in disaster, finish in style.

Comment

Working...
                              X