Ultimate 50/50 Telemark Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate 50/50 Telemark Rig

So, if you were buying brand new, what exactly would you buy for 50/50 resort/BC?

Limitations: Scarpa boots. I fit them well and have access to them, so Scarpa boots are a must.

Bindings: Definitely want a free pivot, other than that I’m curious concerning Rotte NTN vs. Other NTN vs. Other 75 mm. I’ve skied the AXL extensively, but would prefer lighter.

Boards: Not important. I’ve got a couple things I could mount out in the garage. So, no need for a ski recommendation, just a boot and binding combo.

Outlaw X, unless your BC days involve a lot of gain, then Meidjo, Lynx, or TTS (I'm personally partial to Lynx, but opinions vary wildly on these 3 options).

Comment

Since you asked what I would buy, and not what you should buy... Scarpa F3 boots (you can still buy them new in common sizes), OMG or Voile TTS with LT springs, and a light, short-radius ski with 85-95 underfoot. Hopefully this time next year I'll say Voile TTS 2.0, if the rumors about its improvements are accurate.

Comment

I was asking the same question here two years ago and ended up with Scarpa T4s and 7tm Power Tour XR's, which I absolutely love. The 7tm's, by the way, are reportedly the only truly releaseable 75mm binding still being made. There are several others on the list who like the 7tms as well so hopefully some of them will chime in. The 7tms are a tad heavy, but their other advantages outweigh (pun intended) this.

Comment

IMO, The best answer is Meidjo and TX. Unfortunately, they don't make the TX anymore. So, using only what you can buy new today (not just new-old-stock), either Meidjo and TXP, or 75mm with T2 if you want a softer boot. I'm discounting T4 because that's not really an inbounds boot. I think Meidjo is the clear winner for 50/50 NTN bindings; skis awesome, light, tech toe for uphill, some release. TTS/F3 or TTS/F1 is good, but I think that's biased for bc rather than inbounds, and again you can't buy the F3/F1 new, though you can get new-old-stock. For skis, I have a pair of Ranger 98Ti that I bought in 2017 that I like a lot; I'd go a bit lighter for a 50/50 rig if I were buying again nowadays, but I've used them on some long days.

My Meidjo/Ranger 98 have been used both on 7000' bc days and on lots of inbounds days, with the only difference being whether I use the TX or TXP boots.

Edit: if you allow new-old-stock, if you can't find TX but you can find F3, I'd follow jtb's advice but I might go with a slightly heavier ski for more inbounds performance.
          Last edited by xmatt; 22 January 2023, 09:54 AM.

Comment

How long are your BC days and how strong are your legs? OutlawX is a fantastic resort binding, and works in the BC if you're not doing big vertical or long distance, whether that's a single objective, laps or a hut trip. If skiing at a Pass or something like that you might like the Outlaw enough to put up with the weight. I'm currently skiing Lynx in bounds on powder days and that's been good, so can't argue against that or Meidjo.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteMatul View Post
              I was asking the same question here two years ago and ended up with Scarpa T4s and 7tm Power Tour XR's, which I absolutely love. The 7tm's, by the way, are reportedly the only truly releaseable 75mm binding still being made. There are several others on the list who like the 7tms as well so hopefully some of them will chime in. The 7tms are a tad heavy, but their other advantages outweigh (pun intended) this.
              I skied the 7tm Powers for years, (not Tours) usually resort with Ener-G, Garmont boots. I also had ski brakes on this setup. I found a few times that skiing a small mogul field, or rise in the snow, a twisting force on the boot would cause this boot to twist out of the toe cage, and exit the binding ! Release plate stayed on the ski, like picture below, so the ski brake did not deploy.
              I had to quickly dive on a ski, that was starting to take off. Maybe the toe on my old Ener-Gs were getting soft?
              OTOH, I only had one release, hitting a stump and plate detached, a "good" release.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	7TM Power binding.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	120035

Good price here at T-P.
              Last edited by chamonix; 22 January 2023, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I am honestly SHOCKED at the variety of responses above. Partly the response content themselves and partly the variety.

Repeating criteria:
                50/50!!!!
                Boots: Scarpa (for 50/50)
                Bindings: You already use 22D. (50/50).

I see only one option here.

Boots, TXPro.
                They work very well inbounds (50% of your skiing). And work well enough out of bounds. The only limits are ROM isn't great but same for all tele at the moment. And weight. Same argument.
                Pro tip - move the forward lean all the way back on the adjustment which gives you a few more degrees range of motion while skinning, loosen the top buckles and straps (if you have gaiters where the strap runs THROUGH it (a la OR), it makes transitions super easy for a fully open upper. And then keep your climbing wires lower than you think you should and use the front of the boot's flex for more ROM.

Bindings, just stick with 22D as you are familiar with them and go Lynx.
                I've been skiing only Lynx at the resort since they came out and they are holding up fine. The new ones don't pre-release (except maybe in extreme chatter when your springs are old - which has happened to me).
                If you think you are hard on stuff and would rather skin with an extra 300g per foot, go OutlawX. But you did say lighter, so Lynx it is.

Don't go Rotte - they don't ski well, the touring function isn't great. There is no need.

Skis. You didn't ask so I'll keep it generic. For 50/50 I suggest 100uf.

Comment

If your skis are already drilled for 22D, stay the course with the Lynx. I'm a Meidjo fanboi, but hate the 13 hole (per ski!) mounting pattern.

If Scarpas fit, you have one choice - TXPro.

Comment

For 50/50... TX Pro and Outlaw X, hands down.

Comment

A TX-Pro is a different colored TX with an extra buckle and a slightly higher cuff. Easy to make into a TX if you insist but it won't save much weight to do so. And Lynx 'cuz you're partial to the 22D mounting pattern. Be sure to get the softie plates.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

I appreciate all the responses.

I’m going to take the TTS out for the first time tomorrow (F1’s) - so ultimately I guess if that works reasonably well, that could really be a more BC oriented rig.

I should have clarified I don’t have anything still drilled for 22 Designs hole pattern, but I do like doing business with them.

I’m reasonably strong and have put big days of climbing in, but I don’t see a lot of those days in my future. But, I also hate to lug extra weight around and am hoping this gear can win the occasional dual against the AT gear it sits next to in the garage.

I’m leaning towards TX Pro and Outlaw X. I’ll let y’all know if I pull the trigger and what I mount them to.

I’m almost stubborn enough to go T2 and Switchbacks. But, alas, if I’m dropping this kind of coin the “new” tech is part of the attraction. If I was on a wildlife project working on them everyday or really skiing vert four or five days a week, that’s probably what I’d do.
                        Last edited by Matt J; 22 January 2023, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X