Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

source for custom outdoor clothing/gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

outaware guy emailed me back. he's not interested in working with any kind of stretchy material.

Comment

Just off the top of my head, Cooke Custom Sewing comes to mind; widely respected for canoeing/camping gear; he's probably familiar with winter gear as well.

Comment

so I ordered a variety of material from that Rainshed company. in looking at the Scarpa gaiter that I have, using them as a pattern will be easy. I figure I can cut all the pieces required and bring them to someone who can sew them together...turns out I have a couple of options here in town. on another forum where I posted my intent, half a dozen people expressed interest in a set. Plan is to make some for myself and use them. if they work, maybe I offer them to others at cost. my guess is that the sewing labor will easily cost far more than material. I have no idea

Comment

As a longtime gear maker, I can tell you that you are right on, if you tried to charge for your time or someone else's, the labor would be way more than the material. Although if you can make several pairs, after the fist one it goes much faster. But still not a moneymaking enterprise. I have sold some stuff that I made, mostly just as a way to sell extra fabric. My wages from that were probably under a dollar an hour, even making multiple copies of a simple item.
          Definitely post photos once they are done!

Comment

yeah, I really don't have an interest in trying to make money off this because I think 3 major brands already proved this is not a "viable" product. that said, I don't have a problem making multiple pairs if I figure out how to make one pair...my biggest concern is even asking someone to pay cost and shipping for a product that might not be durable etc. we will see.

Comment

in the meantime, I paid $8.59 for a pair of gaiters at Walmart, then modified with a razor knife. might last 1hr or 10 years, no idea. hardest part was cutting smooth circles so they won't tear

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 3.53.20 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	120084

Comment

You could probably take some seam grip or aqua seal and coat edges to keep them from fraying

Comment

yup, I have a variety of patch material and adhesives. just did the cut edges with fabric adhesive. we will see...

Comment

Working...
                  X