2022-23 New England, NY, QC winter convocation & conversation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
    Jay has a new policy . "No skinning up before 8:00 am or after 4:00 pm"; only while lifts are in operation. But locals I know are kind of ignoring this if you want to skin up before lifts run.
    ​​​​​
    Good to hear about the lack of crowds at Jay so far, skiing right onto chairs is bliss. I had my pass there last year and was surprised by the number of people, considering the lack of Canadians. Felt like historically normal crowds to me.

Any other new developments under Jay's the new ownership? You make it seem like there's some head-butting going on.

Also to be clear, Magic and Jay are also great mountains, objectively better than Berkshire East.

Comment

Friends skinning up at sunrise, at Jay Peak on Wednesday. I did go up and ski, that day, but didn't skin up with them. I guess I will just join the Outlaws and skin up when I want..
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Northway Jan 11.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	119588

Comment

now that is a striking photo !

Comment

I skinned up today. Passed a crew setting up the corral at bottom of a lift, and numerous ski patrol; even a friend who is a ski host. I waved as I climbed.
          All before lifts ran; nobody cared.
          By 8:00 am (as I skied down) a lot of people were skinning up, maybe 20 in groups of 3 or 4. Most from Quebec , I think.
          Last edited by chamonix; 14 January 2023, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Maybe the lawyers/insurance made them enact that rule. Similar thing happened to me at Wachusett last year after they closed for the season. They had huge signs at the top and bottom that said closed no uphill/downhill skiing allowed, but I decided to go anyways. As I was walking around the back side of the lodge to start uphill, of course the owners are alone on the deck drinking beers. Figured I should probably talk with them before I walk directly past the big no skiing sign they had up. They said not to worry about the sign, laughing alittle.

Comment

catamount today
              still not enough snow in the woods here for safe skiing IMHO. I was solo.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20230123_143228.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	871.0 KB
ID:	120090

Comment

Pretty amazing how winter turned around in the last week! Yesterday I did about 1800ft of east facing slopes in north-central VT - pic is from where I transitioned around 2900ft. Incredible snow up higher and the few water bars lower down should fill in nicely with Wednesday's storm

It was my first tour on some gen 1 F1s I bought the other week through this forum and I was really happy with how well they skiied with the Voile TTS
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

lofr
                  Don't know where you are but your snow looks better ? You have a lot fewer "whippers" sticking up.
                  I heard that Smugs got 8 inches of new snow. Jay Peak area we only had 2-3 .

By the way, did you buy those Cham HM 97 skis at Gear-X? I sold a pair there, a few years ago with Dynafit Vertical bindings.. Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080997.jpg Views:	6 Size:	711.1 KB ID:	120111
                  Last edited by chamonix; 24 January 2023, 10:15 AM.

Comment

I'm in the Waterbury area - went up the flanks of Camel's Hump there yesterday but know some friends already skiing slides in the Notch and in Nebraska Valley! Bolton says about 15" in the last week which seems right above 1000ft. We are looking at another 7-10" Wednesday into Thursday which should open up just about all of my favorite zones around here for the season

I love the Chams! Picked them up last spring off Craigslist from a guy in Stowe - they had only been mounted once with Axls. I'm keeping my eyes open for other pairs around. They have such a sweet round flex and the short turn radius fits my style well

Comment

Wow ! A lot more recent snow where you are, than up here. Hopefully this will change over Wednesday night.

I liked the Chams, took them up on Mt Mansfield to ski Hourglass, Hellbrook and have skied them on Mt Washington. Left Gully.
                      But the Vertical AT binding would kick me out sometimes. At speed, (groomers) the tips got pretty flappy too.
                      Last edited by chamonix; 25 January 2023, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Don’t come to SoVT, we’ll give you a shovel and a saw and order you to help…🤣

Comment

Jay Peak had about 5 inches new snow today. Creamy groomers on the Jet and Haynes for first few runs. After this storm ends, we should be able to really enjoy the glades and some local touring.

Climbed up from the Bonnie on teles (upper mountain lifts shut down) to get over to JFK. Left side was blown in 6-8 New snow, and only one track down.
                          crappy cell picture.. Click image for larger version  Name:	JFK Jan 25.jpg Views:	0 Size:	994.5 KB ID:	120190 Untracked ! (almost)

ps. Shout out to Gear-X. I blew up the instep wire loop on one of my TX Comps today. Gear-X had replacement loop, drilled out the old fitting, and I was good to go in 20 minutes.
                          Last edited by chamonix; 25 January 2023, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I am headed to Brandon Gap Friday - potentially solo - ping me if you want to check it out

Comment

It puked snow at Jay Peak on Wednesday through Friday. Thursday was a bit weird, very grabby, wet snow at the bottom of some runs, but then it cooled off during the day. Great snow in the Sidecountry higher up on Thursday and Friday even more. Maybe 18 inches over Thursday and Friday.
                              Picture of a friend, somewhere outside the ski area.
                              We were both on our DPS skis, 112 UF. On teles of course. Click image for larger version

Name:	Louis enhanced.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	120309

Comment

Working...
                              X