Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bauerb
    • Oct 2021

I bought a house in Montana, so I'm now spending 2/3's of my time out west. great access to 10,000ft peaks, alpine and Nordic skiing, running trails of every kind...Grizzly bears !!
    its a small town which is really cool, but buying things takes advance planning. Amazon Prime takes on average 5-7 days. trips to the big city require a well thought out list.

Comment

• Todd Eastman
      • Dec 2013

Montana is a song composed by Frank Zappa for his 1973 LP 'Over-Nite Sensation'. The last track on the album is one of Zappa's most famous and renowned compo...

Comment

• webby
        • Sep 2013

Where were you in pa? Kind of sounded like Camelback area.
        Expanding interest in Nordic skiing is an uphill battle

Comment

• bauerb
          • Oct 2021

yup, my house in PA is a mile from Camelback. the Poconos are a really great place to live, but I wanted more space. I chose Montana for a lot of reasons...my training partners now include Grizzly bears and moose. its funny how the vibrant brown color of a dead spruce tree is almost identical to the color of a grizzly cub....ask me how I know....

we don't need no stinkin' snow! Click image for larger version

Name:	red lodge race.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	688.7 KB
ID:	116560
          Attached Files
          Last edited by bauerb; 24 August 2022, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• webby
            • Sep 2013

Just asking because I have a place near Wallenpaupack
            Expanding interest in Nordic skiing is an uphill battle

Comment

• bauerb
              • Oct 2021

just bought one of these yesterday. I do all of my training in the backcountry alone. I finally decided it was irresponsible to not have a way to make contact in case of emergency. I don't need a lot of features, I really just need the SOS button and very basic texting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zoleo.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	116573

Comment

• dschane
                • Aug 2013

Why that one over the Garmin Inreach Mini or Mini2? Costs seem about the same. I'm curious; I have no idea if one is better than the other.

Comment

• Grant
                  • Aug 2013

Mostly I need a lot more time off of work. Or ideally, not to work at all.

Comment

• jtb
                    • Jan 2020

"I don't care about the money... I care about the stuff!" Most underrated comedy ever. I remember reading that many scenes were improvised, including the "I don't need anything" scene.

At this point my quiver is full of TTS components, F1/F3 boots, and skis in various states of repair. I just need a weekend or two of focus time with epoxy, p-tex, wax, etc. Last year was my first season skiing TTS at the resort, and I'm thinking of switching from Meidjo for my resort daily drivers. Like Navin, I don't need anything. I may need that pair of used F3's on the facebook group...

Comment

• bobbytooslow
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by jtb View Post
                      my quiver is full of TTS components, F1/F3 boots, and skis in various states of repair. I just need a weekend or two of focus time with epoxy, p-tex, wax, etc.
                      A man after my own heart. Maybe when there's the inevitable "quiver photo" thread this year, I'll just submit a pile of toepieces, spring cartridges, skis with just heel pads & oxidized-white bases, etc. And immaculately waxed climbing skins.

Comment

• cesare
                        • Aug 2013

That reminds me I'm about three months late to do something about my bases this summer. I need a proper cave, not a Swix waxing bench stuffed into a storage locker in the basement.

This looks pretty nice for a cool $13 grand. Now I just need some land.

Last edited by cesare; 26 August 2022, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• jtb
                          • Jan 2020

Originally posted by cesare View Post
                          This looks pretty nice for a cool $13 grand. Now I just need some land.
                          Aren't they practically giving away kominka in rural areas? I watched a youtube series of a guy who restored one himself. IIRC he paid in the low 10's of thousands for it. It looked like a ton of work but he had a beautiful house at the end of it.

Comment

• bauerb
                            • Oct 2021

the Zoleo was $200. the Garmin is $400. then $20/month for basic Sat service. I didn't want to spend the money that way, but beats not having the device when you really need it. I didn't get it to text with friends while camping, I got it so that maybe I don't die if I break my ankle while running in the backcountry. odds of dying in PA mountains are much lower than mountains here in MT.

Comment

• cesare
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jtb View Post

Aren't they practically giving away kominka in rural areas? I watched a youtube series of a guy who restored one himself. IIRC he paid in the low 10's of thousands for it. It looked like a ton of work but he had a beautiful house at the end of it.
                              Yeah, "Tada yori, takai mono wa nai." Nothing is so expensive as that which is free. Twentieth Century Japanese homes were built to last thirty years. The build quality of most of those homes is atrocious. You would spend less to scrape and build new.
                              Last edited by cesare; 26 August 2022, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• grm
                                • Sep 2016

I didn’t really need this I guess…we’ll actually I did in a dark way, and it filled that hole…

The Pyzel Ghost is a high performance shortboard designed for a wide range of wave sizes and conditions, rode by John John Florence in 2017. The Pyzel Ghost combined with the Dark Arts vacuumed carbon attributes, flex-back, durability, and supreme weight, make this model a great shortboard for medium to large waves.

Got all the tele stuff I need for the foreseeable future. Just need snow now.

Comment

Working...
                                X