No announcement yet.

2023 - what do you need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of changing out my jetforce pro for a jetforce UL. Also need some skis for running our NASTAR course. Did a charity race last year and had a blast. I had the best time until the race kids showed up. Damn kids and their training heels.

Comment

Originally posted by -E- View Post
      Thinking of changing out my jetforce pro for a jetforce UL.
      Is that entirely for the weight savings? The inflation systems seem different? My research from last spring led me to the rechargeable fan system of the Jetforce Pro rather than the canisters -- multiple uses, can practice, etc. But, I'm just digging back into this.

Comment

Originally posted by dschane View Post
        Is that entirely for the weight savings? The inflation systems seem different? My research from last spring led me to the rechargeable fan system of the Jetforce Pro rather than the canisters -- multiple uses, can practice, etc. But, I'm just digging back into this.
        Just to save 2 lbs. I'm still on the fence. Not sure how important multi uses is in the areas I typically tour. The ability to practice was high on my list when I made the purchase. After three practice deployments I feel a comfortable with the rig. The Pro is the Cadillac of flotation packs. Can't be beat for features. Carries very well. 6.5 lbs vs. 4.4 lbs with a smaller envelope, no deflation function and indecision is getting me down.

Comment

Well high on everybody's list around here is some..........precipitation.............and with the forecast of La Nina we're in a doom and gloom scenario. Not just lack of water but heat. So, might be time to book a long time share in Baja for the Winter.
          Last day of Hydrofoiling here for the season. Water is too shallow to safety do it anymore. Lynn has a extra short foil mast so has got a few extra weeks and she will move to kiteboarding that doesn't have a foil.

Anyway, yesterday here at Washoe Lake, temps are around 103, wind 15-22, water depth 3-4' and smoky. except for the wind, sad......

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010312 (1280x1045).jpg Views:	0 Size:	902.1 KB ID:	116643 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010314 (1280x1008) (1280x1008).jpg Views:	0 Size:	710.5 KB ID:	116644 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010318 (1280x953).jpg Views:	0 Size:	752.9 KB ID:	116645
          "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

this shot if for Quad, AWSI expo in HR. all the new wind sports gear. too many kites, wings, boards, and foils to look at. Certainly more focus on *foiling than last year.

my neighbor just bought a slingshot full beginner kit (pro deal), and says he will be looking to make a deal on it after wintering in la ventana so i'll probably just buy his gear. And also likely borrow it while i am down there on vacation this winter.

if it wasn't for snow, i'd spend every winter all winter in baja.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	116650
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by -E- View Post

Just to save 2 lbs. I'm still on the fence. Not sure how important multi uses is in the areas I typically tour. The ability to practice was high on my list when I made the purchase. After three practice deployments I feel a comfortable with the rig. The Pro is the Cadillac of flotation packs. Can't be beat for features. Carries very well. 6.5 lbs vs. 4.4 lbs with a smaller envelope, no deflation function and indecision is getting me down.
              Thanks and yeah, those factors make the 2 lb savings a tough call. You can't go wrong either way.

Comment

Originally posted by dschane View Post
                Thanks and yeah, those factors make the 2 lb savings a tough call. You can't go wrong either way.
                I finally got with the program last year and got a Jetforce Pro. Gotta say it carries very well. But also that I really notice that extra 2 pounds for some reason. I dragged myself up Yotei-zan with it and--maybe it was the hot day--but I did feel like I was bonking. Maybe I was hung over or something. Body just wasn't working. After that I did a lot of rationalizing in favor of my much lighter MontBell ski pack most days. Need to resolve to use it now that I have it.

Now, trying to get into better condition before snow flies this season. Finally can run again. Went swimming in the Japan Sea yesterday. And today I bought roller skis (skate), boots, and poles because I don't think I'll ever be a daily runner again and bikes hate me. I didn't get the fancy carbon skis because I'm a noob and only want to improve my fitness. Not going to race. I bought the biggest boots they had--28.5 when my running shoes are 29--they feel great and they will work. No crashes allowed. They only had one pair of poles in my size and they *are* carbon. Happy to pay the extra when everything else was deeply discounted.Sapporo Skid is a great shop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	305758643_10160778615039073_6786416076078107864_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	116656
                Last edited by cesare; 9 September 2022, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
                  I finally got with the program last year and got a Jetforce Pro. Gotta say it carries very well. But also that I really notice that extra 2 pounds for some reason. I dragged myself up Yotei-zan with it and--maybe it was the hot day--but I did feel like I was bonking. Maybe I was hung over or something. Body just wasn't working. After that I did a lot of rationalizing in favor of my much lighter MontBell ski pack most days. Need to resolve to use it now that I have it.
                  The air bag options, reviews, and considerations are worthy of their own thread.

In Juneau, I am around all winter so I keep track of conditions, layers, and feel comfortable (perhaps too comfortable), so I can see myself not donning the Jetforce on every outing in light of the weight penalty. But, figuring that out and justifying it to anyone (who cares) besides myself will be complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
                    Now, trying to get into better condition before snow flies this season. Finally can run again. Went swimming in the Japan Sea yesterday. And today I bought roller skis (skate), boots, and poles because I don't think I'll ever be a daily runner again and bikes hate me. I didn't get the fancy carbon skis because I'm a noob and only want to improve my fitness. Not going to race. I bought the biggest boots they had--28.5 when my running shoes are 29--they feel great and they will work. No crashes allowed. They only had one pair of poles in my size and they *are* carbon. Happy to pay the extra when everything else was deeply discounted.Sapporo Skid is a great shop.

Click image for larger version Name:	305758643_10160778615039073_6786416076078107864_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	116656
                    Wear your kneepads and wrist guards. My girls grew up training on those death traps and will never be leg models as a result.

Comment

this past Spring I bought new roller skis , but I bought the 3 wheel kind that are only used for classic skiing, not skating. I also got speed reducers installed. the reducers are great because its more like a skinning movement...without the reducers they are much too fast. I can also go down hills without fear of death.

Comment

My beloved Pulk got skewered by a stump last Winter. It was a wonderful homebrewed model made by a fabricator friend who's since closed shop and moved into a Sprinter. Last I heard he was skiing with Skinheads in Idaho. So I either need to buy or make its replacement. I'd also love to find a backcountry oriented skin ski with a waist somewhere in the seventies.

Comment

Originally posted by JPTalk Walker View Post
                          M...ove to find a backcountry oriented skin ski with a waist somewhere in the seventies.
                          Look at Fischer's S-Bound series. Probably the S-Bound 98 (the 98 is the tip width, and the online description fails to provide waist width details).

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

starting to zero in on nordic gear I will be buying this fall. I haven't bought Nordic gear in over 30 years. things have changed a little bit...given that there is now a nordic center about 1 mile from here...the pull of the force is simply too strong to resist. fortunately there is FB marketplace and 2 ski swaps happening later this fall. I've even noticed race-oriented waxless skis with 2 little mohair strips permanently attached to the skis. waxless race skis!!??

Comment

Originally posted by bauerb View Post
                              I've even noticed race-oriented waxless skis with 2 little mohair strips permanently attached to the skis. waxless race skis!!??
                              Those are ones you want - decent grip uphill without waxing and excellent glide. This is not a new idea but it is experiencing a resurgence, and not just on race skis. Much better than fishscales.

Comment

Dostie - I have a pair of bull dogz looking for a rig and will check out the fishers before I drill - thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X