2023 - what do you need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 - what do you need

Ok - I just got a new daggerboard for my ancient sunfish so I can be competitive in a Labor Day boat race.
    So I am in gear slut mode but my quiver is good and I only want to find some good googles that fit my recently acquired lid. But..
    What are you guys going to get for this season?

Maybe a whippet, but probably not. Maybe a go pro, but probably not. I was thinking of getting some light, fat skis to mount TTS, maybe some of the fatter Moonlight skis, but now I want to hold off until Voile comes out with their new TTS. And I was also kind of thinking of getting some stiffer, heavier, fatter skis for inbounds, compared to my 50/50 skis that I usually ski on, but I think I'm going to primarily tour next season, so I'll pass on that. So, probably nothing much!

Comment

A foil - as in hydrofoil for kiteboarding. It's the future for sailing. And closer access to good sailing. Although it's windy in Coloweedo, it's a mean, gusty wind.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
        A foil - as in hydrofoil for kiteboarding. It's the future for sailing. And closer access to good sailing. Although it's windy in Coloweedo, it's a mean, gusty wind.
        Well, we are into hydrofoiling and live at a place where you can actually do it. Our opinion is to forget kite foiling as it is so specialized as to specific gear and location the people who got into it have mostly bailed in favor of Wing hydrofoiling as it has a shorter timeline for learning. It also has more range as far as wind needed and way safer. This would work well where you live as it works great in strong gusty up and down wind.

Washoe Lake where it is always strong and gusty

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010282.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	5.02 MB
ID:	116498 W
        "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

I think we are going to do a few upgrades this season. I am going to get some F1 LT's to go along with my Hyper Vector BC's and Lynn is going to get some Hyper Vector BC's or Hyper V6's BC's to add some scales for her light AT setup. As far as skiing this year, some resort on groomer days and avoid the powder hungry masses on POW days and more touring on lighter scales like Vectors. Hopefully some good snow this season.........

Comment

I got some new old stock Scarpa F3s. I plan on testing those with my new Voile TTS bindings on my Voile fishscales.

As for 2023. I need new tail clips because my Voile/Pomocas keep breaking the clips and the skin glue sucks for staying on the skis. Might just spring from some new USA made skins from Big Sky! The jungle skins look cool! https://skiskinsonline.com/product/r...-jungle-print/

Comment

wing. foiling. gear. 2023 will be my summer to learn wing foiling. all the reasons quadzilla said. Although, i don't think it has more wind range than kite foiling. I see kite foilers out on full on nuking days, and on super light days when they are the only people out. One guy with a large foil kite goes out when i swear there isn't even any wind. but winging foiling is much safer than kite foiling, both from a crashing and a launch/land point of view. I don't plan to stop kiting boarding. i love the feel of carving on the water.

but damn are foils and wing boards expensive. i plan to go the cheap route to start, Gong inflatable board and foil from France unless i find a good used deal locally.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonq View Post
                wing. foiling. gear. 2023 will be my summer to learn wing foiling. all the reasons quadzilla said. Although, i don't think it has more wind range than kite foiling. I see kite foilers out on full on nuking days, and on super light days when they are the only people out. One guy with a large foil kite goes out when i swear there isn't even any wind. but winging foiling is much safer than kite foiling, both from a crashing and a launch/land point of view. I don't plan to stop kiting boarding. i love the feel of carving on the water.

but damn are foils and wing boards expensive. i plan to go the cheap route to start, Gong inflatable board and foil from France unless i find a good used deal locally.
                Inflatable boards and fiberglass foils with Al parts do save a big amount. In my pic above the middle winger is a gal on a inflatable and does quite well with it. Most certainly it has a great advantage in transporting. For Winging you can get a lot of days with a 100-110 liter board and a 5.0 wing with a modest foil system. I think kite foiling is more specialized and more pain in learning like getting stuck way out and huge swims. With kite foiling if you are not foiling you can't slog. if you drop kite in water in light air you are equally stuck.

Comment

I am intrigued by the existence of a foiling conversion kit for the Laser sailboat. No idea how it works, but ideally would it be like sailing a normal Laser in low wind, and then suddenly jumping up in speed once you can foil?

Comment

Oh yeah, the main thing I want to try this winter has nothing to do with new gear. I am squatting. My squat is terrible compared to the rest of my fitness. Doing high rep sets, I am hoping that crosses over well.

Comment

New for this season: UltraVector BC's, Defender (F3) and TTS. Just need to mount the bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadzilla View Post
                        Inflatable boards and fiberglass foils with Al parts do save a big amount
                        Quad, interested in your take on these options.

I am 63 kg, not counting wet suit/pfd/helmet.
                        Time on wing foiling gear = 3 hours
                        time flying on foil = 5 seconds.
                        4.5M wing + 135 liter board (6 foot hard board) + 1700 cm^2 foil

Price for these subtract VAT, add shipping = about the inc VAT price on their website
                        boards:
                        keeping in mind inflatable boards are generally thicker, so have more volume for the same outline

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/produ...le-hipe-first/
                        $300
                        either the 5-11 or the 5-5. I am leaning towards this as a first board, solely because it appears totally adequate and really well priced.

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/produ...flatable-hipe/
                        $700
                        5-3 or 5-5. better than the above but 2x the price

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/produ...able-hipe-pro/
                        $750
                        5-3 or 5-6

foil:
                        https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/produ...v2-x-over-alu/
                        $440
                        in large, 1550 cm^2

I will likely pick up a used wing locally in hood river. looking at 4 to 4.5M as a first wing for the gorge. if its nuking, i will be kiting. if its light, i will be biking.

Comment

I believe I'm set for skis and bindings. Boots? I won't go there.

I would like to get an avy airbag pack and am leaning towards a BD Jetforce. It's very spendy, but the potential savings (serious injury/death) far outweigh that -- I think I've had this mental debate for a decade and I really should just pull the trigger this year.

And I would like to get an uber light ice axe, such as the Camp Corsa Race.

Comment

I thought I had resigned to being set after I stopped in the Shugakuso store in Shiroishi and was told by a sneering staff member that they didn't sell telemark gear anymore. This was shocking to me but seemed to confirm my consternation at the direction the company had been heading in recent years and the forced retirement of their long time, awesome tele guru, my old friend Jo. I was like, it's a sad day for tele skiing in Hokkaido if Shugakuso is out of the game but I accepted it and vowed not to buy anything else from them. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was in the Patagonia store and decided to walk through the Shugakuso store near Hokkaido University just down the block. I was surprised to see tele boots and bindings on display with a great price on 2022 Lynx. So I asked if they had a large and sure enough, they did. They even upgraded the plates for me. So I told them what the Shiroishi store had told me and they sighed, saying, the Hokudai store is now the only one selling tele gear. So at least there is that. And I got a pair of new Lynx with new plates for a little over $300 US. So now I think I am set again, but for that pesky n+1 rule.

And I'm still not happy that Jo got forced out when he didn't want to retire. But he's guiding now and happy to be doing that. So all's well that ends well.
                            Last edited by cesare; 20 August 2022, 12:32 AM.

Comment

I’m thinking about a helmet for going up and down. I’ve only worn a hat for the past forty plus years.
                              Any suggestions? I looked at one from BCA that might fit the bill. I live in the Midwest, no serious mountaineering, just pointing them downhill and aiming for the spaces between the trees. That and those occasional big rocks that aren’t really covered with enough snow.

Comment

Working...
                              X