New version of Voile TTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New version of Voile TTS?

When listening on Josh's podcast, I think he mentioned that Voile is coming out with a new version of their TTS. Anyone having any intel on that new version?

I do. I spoke with their support. They are revising the toe to make it more releasable in avalanche conditions. There was also some issues with the rods that customers experienced issues with and they plan on revising. 2023/2024 probably is release date.

No plans yet for a step in NTN duck but binding. Right now their focus is heel connection.

I will be honest, I just got the Voile TTS and I am very pleased with the quality. Flex is very smooth and I like the binding more then my Lynx because it’s simple, doesn’t appear it will get boot Jack, less likely to clog up in sticky snow, and less active . Flex is similar to my Switchback which is great! No real snow tests yet.

Comment

I have heard it will have a more adjustable, more easily detached heel assembly. Not sure if that means it will be the kind where you can easily pop the springs off for uphill and put them back on for the downhill. I hope so. In any event, good news, not just because Voile makes good stuff, but also because it means that their initial TTS was well-enough received for them to keep working on it. Good news for backcountry tele!

Comment

Ja, it has a "real" toe. The removable cable rods came off too easily - like in the midst of a turn, particularly a deep knee turn. But they're revising the hooks and the connection hardware to fix that. It'll be a nice, clean final product when done and I don't think we'll have to wait until 2024, but I could be wrong.

One very nice feature, adjustable pivot point without disassembling the baseplate.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
          Ja, it has a "real" toe. The removable cable rods came off too easily - like in the midst of a turn, particularly a deep knee turn. But they're revising the hooks and the connection hardware to fix that. It'll be a nice, clean final product when done and I don't think we'll have to wait until 2024, but I could be wrong.

One very nice feature, adjustable pivot point without disassembling the baseplate.
          Hopefully the new version will have the same hole pattern for plate.

Wonder if Voile will offer their existing TTS customers an “upgrade” kit so you don’t have to buy the entire binding? My guess is probably not, but who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by telenerd View Post
            Hopefully the new version will have the same hole pattern for plate.
            It won't.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

If the toe piece is decent this could be the TTS that goes big. (In this case "big" means a slight majority of a tiny market.)

Comment

Originally posted by mo pow View Post
                If the toe piece is decent this could be the TTS that goes big.
                It is.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

This sounds great. Something lightweight, with a good toe, and a spring pivot that can be easily moved or removed would be a clear winner. Kreuzspitze has a nice system for mounting springs but is heavy with limited options for pivot distance. OMG is bomber, light, and highly configurable but makes it hard to move/remove springs. Moonlight has various pros and cons of each. I hope they sell enough units to attract some attention from Scarpa.

Comment

I've been skiing TTS on narrower (84mm) skis recently, and I've been thinking that I'd like a TTS fat setup too. If Voile makes a TTS with real toe and removable springs, it kind of tempts me into getting a pair of their fat skis to mount it on. I know that doesn't really make sense: I could buy their skis now, and put a different TTS on it, or I could put their TTS on a different company's skis, but still, it sounds nice just to get everything one stop shopping from Voile. They could get some extra ski sales out of this too. Just hopefully they will say that their skis are warrantied for use with this!

Minor details: can they figure out a nice way to stow the springs behind the heel when you don't remove them, i.e., when running shorter laps? One standard approach is to just flip the heel riser (if it's mounted behind the heel, instead of in front) over them, but then that requires raising the heel riser up to snap the springs on when transitioning. And when the springs are under the heel riser it's a little trickier to flip the riser up and down with your pole. I'm really nitpicking here, but just something....

Comment

Originally posted by xmatt View Post
                      Minor details: can they figure out a nice way to stow the springs behind the heel when you don't remove them, i.e., when running shorter laps? One standard approach is to just flip the heel riser (if it's mounted behind the heel, instead of in front) over them, but then that requires raising the heel riser up to snap the springs on when transitioning. And when the springs are under the heel riser it's a little trickier to flip the riser up and down with your pole. I'm really nitpicking here, but just something....
                      Solution? 22D Upheel. Spring-loaded climbing bars that flip up/down easier. Still requires lifting the bars for a moment to allow the heel lever to be under, but easier to do.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

A switchback style TTS would be nice. So you just flick a lever with your pole and it goes from tour to ski mode. Rather then bending over to latch the cable on your boots. But that type of binding would be more of a step in.

Comment

Originally posted by telenerd View Post
                          A switchback style TTS would be nice. So you just flick a lever with your pole and it goes from tour to ski mode. Rather then bending over to latch the cable on your boots. But that type of binding would be more of a step in.
                          Kinda sounds like Meidjo. /wink

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post

Kinda sounds like Meidjo. /wink
                            TTS can go ski to tour with flick of a pole. Meidjo goes the other way. Only lynx does both, I think. I suppose the direction that Meidjo goes is more useful, since most of us remove our skis to put skins on anyway.

Comment

You can transition in both directions with a pole flick on TTS if you have the right heel setup. This isn't very useful with skins, as stated, but is very useful for low angle touring with fish scales.

Comment

Working...
                              X