This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telemark Binding Poll - what's on your feet

What are you using to tele with? Multiple choice. Comments encouraged to 'splain preferences/use.
    3-pin (any brand/variety but no cables)
    13.79%
    G3 Targa
    5.17%
    Rottefella Cobra/Chili/412
    3.45%
    BD 02/03
    5.17%
    22 Designs Hammerhead/Vice
    6.90%
    Voile 3-pin cable/Hardwire
    12.07%
    Voile Switchback/Switchback X2
    13.79%
    22 Designs Axl
    8.62%
    7tm (incl. 7tm Tour)
    1.72%
    Burnt Mt. Designs - Spike
    5.17%
    Rottefella Freedom
    6.90%
    Telemark Tech System (OMG/DIY/Voile/Moonlight/Kreuzspitz)
    32.76%
    The M Equipment - Meidjo
    31.03%
    22 Designs Outlaw
    44.83%
    22 Designs Lynx
    44.83%
    Rottefella Freeride
    13.79%

ain't no turn like tele!

I have a pair of skis used almost entirely in-bounds mounted with Outlaw-X, two pairs of skis used more BC mounted with Lynx. Recently purchased a pair of Defenders (F3) and working on a TTS set-up. Formerly a Switchback X2 user.

Comment

Meidjo and TTS for me. Looks like it lets me select more than one answer.

Comment

You forgot Rottefella Super Telemark Cable as an option. That’s one of my faves for mellow tours, along with M 2.1 and TTS for more challenging stuff and lifts.

Comment

Two pairs of skis with Meidjo 2.0, one with 2.1 and replaced the one pair of Lynx I had with Meidjo 3.0 after a Lynx failure resulted in a season ending fall last year. Also have Switchbacks on Vector BC’s.

Comment

3 pairs with inserts and Outlaw- Lynx 3 pairs with old Freeride

Comment

Mostly DIY TTS, sometimes Meidjo or Lynx for lift serve, but all 2-pin all the time. Unless it's Leather Lovers' Friday, then it's Rottefella Chili.

Comment

I find I've just been on my Outlaws/Comps, with my Volkl Kendos, this winter. For the Powder days (few and far between) I have DPS Wailers, pure2s with Freedoms.
                Wish I had the Outlaws on the Wailers too. Never had any trouble with either of these bindings, yet I keep meeting tele skiers who blow up their Outlaws?
                Still have an old set of 7TM Powers on a pair of Movement skis, but don't own any 75 mm boots now. Go figure.

When I tour, or skin up at resort, I am on an AT setup.

Last edited by chamonix; 26 April 2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

95% of the time I'm on Lynx. If there's a day when I'll be in bounds only, then I'll go to Outlaws. I have a pair of Kreuzspitz TTS and, with the new Voile LT springs, will be experimenting with them now and again.

I also have a pair of 3-pin Voile Mountaineers that I use for meadow skipping.

I too am formerly an X2 user (circa 2016ish).
                  Last edited by dschane; 25 April 2022, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Meidjo 2.1 and DIY TTS for me. Up until this year I skied Meidjo at the resort, TTS in the BC. This year I started skiing TTS at the resort and, although not quite as tight as Meidjo, there are some benefits as far as simplicity and reduced icing issues. I'm debating between the two for my resort rig next year.

Comment

Main rig is Outlaw-X on Moment PB&Js with TX Comps. But have a second pair of Outlaw-X that could be swapped onto two different sets of skis, which I installed Binding Freedom inserts into: Atomic Vantage 85, and Liberty Helix 105. But have not been inspired yet to use either of these secondary skis. My son often goes with me and uses the Vantage 85s with Axls, only because he uses my old T-1s which fit him, but never did fit me. He'll have to buy his own NTN boots if he wants to move up to Outlaw-X.

Comment

Been around the block so many times the block is now a lumpy ball. I have settled on Lynx for the foreseeable future because at the end of the day, I don't want to put 13 inserts in each ski to run Meidjos. Not that I have a problem with drilling 13 holes. But installing 13 inserts causes me too much back, neck, and head pain. 8 is barely manageable in my current setup, which is not likely to get any better unless I buy a house up in the Daisetsuzan National Park region. I'm kind of looking and there are pretty screamin' deals on old houses in poor condition and reasonable deals on homes that have already been fixed. Convincing my spouse that she will ever see me again in winter is the sticking point.

For a long time I was a neutral binding evangelist and Switchback X2 was on all my skis. I finally started down the NTN path when I met Dostie and he showed me how to put together TTS systems and install inserts. I was working at Wilderness Exchange Unlimited in Denver at the time and scored a deal on my first pair of TXs. I did TTS for about 4-5 years while also testing Meidjos and Lynx every chance I got, also thanks to Dostie.

Meidjo v1 skied great right out the gate but I wasn't thrilled about the kickstand, the tiny wire tab for changing modes, and the thirteen holes. I even wrote a piece about my thoughts here on Earn Your Turns.

I tried Lynx for the first time as a guest tech at the Backcountry Magazine Gear Test Week four years ago. We didn't know how to adjust the preload on that early version and while I thought they skied great in a neutral manner, I kept walking out of them. I wasn't sold but after learning how important spacers were to the performance of the binding, I gave them another chance. I bought a pair of v1 Lynx from a shop in Idaho and they shipped them to me in Japan. I broke them four different ways but I loved the way they skied and toured. After much frustration trying to deal with the Japan distributor the home office took great care of me, finally sending me a pair of v2 for all the trouble I experienced as I accumulated a box of incompatible parts that was harder to get than pulling teeth when dealing with the Japan distributor. At first the v2 were too stiff for me and I skied like crap on them at the end of that season. I was worried that I would not adapt to the additional resistance. But after doing some incremental continual development on my Frankenboots, I hit on just the right combination of fit and forward softness in the shell and getting used to the Lynx. The next season everything was gravy right out of the gate. I've had zero problems with the v2 Lynx and have even released from them when I was sure glad that I did. I don't have any claw grab or snow packing with them, which is strange because for all its reputation for JaPOW, Japan really provides a wide variety of snow conditions. After all, this is a mid-latitude island. I'm very happy with Lynx and am pretty well satisfied that this binding will serve me well for years to come.

Comment

Hardwires simple and has redundancy.

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
                            unless I buy a house up in the Daisetsuzan National Park region
                            FWIW, I (and others, I'm sure) want you to buy a kominka in the mountains so we can live vicariously through your adventures.

Comment

Outlaw a bit heavier than Freedom but ROM so much better that it is better on uphill. Though neither are great. Outlaw better on downhill w/ nice long spring action. Easy enough to step in/out. Brakes beefier/more stopping power than Freedoms. Won't ski w/ leashes anymore and Outlaw is very safe in terms of being able to pop out when ski stuck on root and body downhill w/ strain on the knee. Yet I've had many great powder days on Freedoms and skis that were too skinny. And on G3, Hammerhead, Superloop before that.

Comment

Working...
                              X