2022 Mountain Bike Stoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Mountain Bike Stoke

I've never *loved* mountain biking, I've always just done it to spend time in the woods with friends. Vision problems limit my ability to let it rip on the downhills anyway. But this winter, I was invited to be on a team at 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo. I had such a good time that I bought a new bike afterwards, and wow what a difference. So fun. I'm already worried about the running races that I'm signed up for in the fall.

Who else has some serious mountain bike stoke right now?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1191EDE1-5F91-4337-9063-0A58BA39A5DD.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	115870

Bike yes. Mountains some of the time.

Name:	C1-1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	115872

Comment

Wonderful.

Here's our bikes. Mine is on the far right.

Prob'ly won't come down for a while.

Name:	bks.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	887.2 KB
ID:	115875

Comment

BTS,

Looks like you have yourself a nice little chameleon (hardtail) set up single speed? That would be fun. But that doesn't seem like the bike for someone just kinda toying around with riding. That's a serious thing there, kinda niche. I might say kinda like the telemark skier of skiers.

I am probably a little more off the deep end when it comes to bikes than skis. But surely off the deep end in both respects.

I just pulled my single speed out for a quick rip this afternoon after a regular ride on my full suspension. It's like getting in a sports car with the roof down. Super fun. Mine is a Banshee Paradox - pic below.

Name:	Paradox build.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	115878

But I also like to ride regular bikes with suspension: Here's my Banshee Prime V3 (135/150) and an amazing all around bike. Efficient to pedal but rips on the downs.

I also have a road bike, a xc race bike that is downcountried, a bikepacking bike, and a bmx and DH bike.

Name:	Prime V3 Hob.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	4.81 MB
ID:	115879

Comment

Whoa jnicol that Paradox looks super fun! Perfect geometry. It's a crime that they didn't include an EBB or sliding dropouts -- I see that the Prime has some kinda modular dropout thing going on.

Originally posted by jnicol View Post
          BTS,

Looks like you have yourself a nice little chameleon (hardtail) set up single speed? That would be fun. But that doesn't seem like the bike for someone just kinda toying around with riding. That's a serious thing there, kinda niche. I might say kinda like the telemark skier of skiers.
          Oh, this is my 5th singlespeed since 2003, the last being a 2008 Haro Mary SS. There has always been a strong contingent of full-time SSers around here -- yup, many of them also tele skiers -- I suppose the nature of the local trails kinda suits it well (or, "suited" it well, before folks got big-travel bikes and made the line go over everything rather than being fun and snaky, but that's a different rant, ha).

Still, I've always preferred the Type II fun of road biking, and just mtn biked when friends wanted to. It's fun to attack uphills on the SS rather than just sit & spin. I bought a 150mm travel full suspension in 2012 thinking it would help make up for my limitations on the downs, but nope, I still sucked, and the uphill was a lot less fun too. The geometry on the Chameleon (plus the dropper post) make me feel more competent on the downs than my full suspension ever did. I still get my Type II fun on the climbs, but get to experience some Type I on the downs rather than just hanging on for dear life.

Originally posted by jnicol View Post
          I am probably a little more off the deep end when it comes to bikes than skis. But surely off the deep end in both respects.
          Ha, that's why this forum rules. Folks are at the far end of the spectrum from "Basic."

Comment

We are Trail riders and have been hacking at it for decades. We ride 3-4x a week mostly year round, take guided trips and basically ride with friends and together. We have great gear and mix it. The above is my quiver, All high end bikes and modified.
            Last edited by Quadzilla; 24 April 2022, 05:19 PM.
            "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Name:	P1010271 (1280x881).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	848.4 KB
ID:	115896

Name:	P1010270 (1280x852).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	853.8 KB
ID:	115895
              Lynn's Quiver

Comment

For you single speeder’s. What size crankset and then rear cassette?

Comment

Originally posted by SPQR View Post
                  Depends on wheel size and where I'm riding. 26" I used to go 32-18. 29" I rode 32-20, or 30-20 if there were to be big long climbs. My Chameleon has a 27.5+ in the rear, and I currently have an oval 32-20, though I could probably go 19 or even 18 in the rear. Folks say the oval makes a 32 feel like pedaling a 30, and so far that seems about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadzilla View Post
                    We are Trail riders and have been hacking at it for decades. We ride 3-4x a week mostly year round, take guided trips and basically ride with friends and together. We have great gear and mix it. The above is my quiver, All high end bikes and modified.
                    I'm eager to see your fleet! For whatever reason, it's not showing up. Lynn's bikes look sweet!
                    Last edited by bobbytooslow; 24 April 2022, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbytooslow View Post

I'm eager to see your fleet! For whatever reason, it's not showing up. Lynn's bikes look sweet!
                      Should be three bike pics directly above the written statement. That's the way it shows for me, if no one else sees it I will repost.
                      Last edited by Quadzilla; 25 April 2022, 06:10 AM.

Comment

New bars on the skinny bike today. Ready to tour. Yea buddy.

Name:	C3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	115913

Comment

Name:	image_13915.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	115916 Well I ride a hard tail too (Guerrila Gravity Pedalhead). I also got a fully(Foes Ridgeback) but it doesn’t see much use. Love the way a hard tail climbs and decends with a 150mm fork, 2.6 or 3.0 tires plenty of cushion for those rocks!
                          Last edited by telenerd; 24 April 2022, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadzilla View Post

Should be three bike pics directly above the written statement. That's the way it shows for me, if I one else sees it I will repost.
                            Just the Orbea e-bike and Lynn's Ibis showing. Fine looking bikes though!

Comment

Originally posted by SPQR View Post
                              It depends on your trails and what your goal is. It's not too hard to try different rear cogs, or swap them depending on the conditions. These are easier if you have a tensioner or a eccentric bottom bracket and don't have to set the chain to the exact size every time you change your cog.

For me on a 29er, I run 32 chainring, 22 cog. This is just barely possible to make some of the hardest local climbs on a good - superhuman feeling day and easy enough that I get spun out going downhill, but I don't mind coasting. It's a good balance. It could be easier, but I'd get spun out faster and wouldn't have as much challenge on the hills. Harder and I'd be able to pedal more on the downs but would have to walk climbs more. So, you kinda have to figure out what works for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X