Solstice Ski - AK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solstice Ski - AK

I dropped my skins for the season on April 5 and have been concentrating on my cycling. Feel pretty good about that so I decided to reward myself with a solstice ski on the Pass. A few options, but Schoolbus looked like the shortest walk and after wading a stream and some thickets, I got my skis on in 20 minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-19A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	89401

Nice cruise to the top finding things a bit slushy. I ended up booting a short section to the top then skis back on in search of a nice line. I triggered some pretty good wet slides on a steep section that slid at the speed of snail with ski cuts and then found the groove mixing tele's and alpine turns most the way

Name:	6-19-14B.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	89402

There's the Worthington Glacier and visitor area. Wheb I move here, the glacier reached to the lake at the viewing area and the massive piece of new gray earth was under the glacier. Dramatic retreat for sure.

Name:	6-19-14C.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	89403

All in all a nice end to my 35th season taming the Chugach with some cross training. Took about 2.5 hours

Name:	6-17-14D.jpg
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	89404
    Last edited by Valdez Telehead; 19 June 2014, 06:29 PM.

Nice line Matt. I'm jealous. I've been doing some hiking, and way too much gardening and weed pulling to get out on my boards. You've inspired me to fix that problem!

Comment

I was going to post it is Happy Solstice - and yesterday in the parking lot of Hell I was thinking I really should go find snow to celebrate.

Needs to freeze over first.

Summer and Winter Solstice - really are a year's markers. A sacrifice is in order!

http://www.spaceweather.com/

HAPPY SOLSTICE: Today is the June solstice. At 6:51 a.m. EDT on June 21st, the sun reaches its northernmost point on the celestial sphere (+23.5o declination) marking the start of summer and the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere. In the southern hemisphere, it is the start of winter and the shortest day. Either way, happy solstice!

Comment

Solstice Sunday summer scenes in Valdez.

Ocean homestead

Name:	solsticevaldez.jpg
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	82007

Some 7'ers …

Name:	IMG_3170EastPeaksummer.jpg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	82004