The Volunteer Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Volunteer Thread

I work in a boys group at my church known as Royal Rangers. We take boys and young men out on camping trips, hiking, snowshoeing, easy mountaineering and snow camping throughout the year. I'm just curious as to how many on this board do volunteer work with kids, in various ways and means. I know I'm not alone.

Hit me with what you do.

Thanks,
    SM

Well I used to take kids in trouble out on day canoe trips, a bit one summer in Kingston, Ontario. No knives please. AKA "Hoods in the Woods".

Comment

Many hours in the early 80's as an assistant Scout Master working for my dad. I really need to get involved again just to give something back. Some of those kids live's were changed because of my old man. Kudos to you SoulMan.
      Last edited by 3PinGrin; 17 June 2014, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3PinGrin View Post
        Many hours in the early 80's as an assistant Scout Master working for my dad. I really need to get involved again just to give something back. Some of those kids live's were changed because of my old man. Kudos to you SoulMan.
        Good on you 3PG! I've been doing this since 1987. I took a 5 year hiatus to go back to school and then got a butt-kicking job. Once I finally figured out the job, I went back to volunteering.

I'm getting ready for a week-long trip next week with 16 boys in our Training Trails group. Since I am the "quartermaster," I am stacking up the stuff for it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image (6).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	81981

Name:	image (5).jpg
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	81982

Name:	photo (12).jpg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	81983

Comment

They're students - under-grads, graduate and a handful of post-docs, we call them "kids." I volunteer at a local University and teach camping, BC skiing skills, navigation, weather, etc. It's highly rewarding to see people who have never camped before set-up tents in the snow and spend the night after struggling with snowshoeing or skiing with packs a few miles. In my former volunteer life (1995-2003), I also taught avalanche awareness, snow camping and tele skiing at another local University. Watching new skiers "get it" or seeing former students years later doing challenging backcountry runs and crediting you, it doesn't get any better than that.
          I'm curious what certifications you volunteers have. I recently re-certed my WFR per a requirement by the University. AIARE, PSIA , etc. what do your organizations require?
          Originally posted by riser3
          I heart filthy, stinky "hippies", although isn't mchin a Doctor or something like that? Hardly qualifies as a "hippie" IMHO...

Comment

Originally posted by mchin View Post
            They're students - under-grads, graduate and a handful of post-docs, we call them "kids." I volunteer at a local University and teach camping, BC skiing skills, navigation, weather, etc. It's highly rewarding to see people who have never camped before set-up tents in the snow and spend the night after struggling with snowshoeing or skiing with packs a few miles. In my former volunteer life (1995-2003), I also taught avalanche awareness, snow camping and tele skiing at another local University. Watching new skiers "get it" or seeing former students years later doing challenging backcountry runs and crediting you, it doesn't get any better than that.
            I'm curious what certifications you volunteers have. I recently re-certed my WFR per a requirement by the University. AIARE, PSIA , etc. what do your organizations require?
            Sounds like what I'm doing in the snow, but with the younger set. I find adult age "kids" more challenging, mainly because they sometimes can be more stubborn due to pride, ego, etc. Good for you for working with them. I started out at a local community college when I was 22, taking backpacking and survival, then mountaineering courses. I was one of those stubborn "kids" and after a few stubbed toes, scrapes, cold nights, and the like, I finally got it, thanks to the many volunteers who were our instructors. I credit a local dentist who was a PSIA instructor, who taught me the fine skills of telemark skiing. He pushed me, but then again, he saw things in me that I didn't.

The organization I work with doesn't require certifications, although I think that they should. That said, I have maintained a First Aid/CPR and WFA certification.

Comment

My latest adventure: http://vimeo.com/99896995

We had 16 young men and 4 leaders. We taught these fellas map and compass, food and menu planning, gear, route finding, lost man exercise, hiking skills, how to take a dump in the woods, water purification, campsite selection, and other topics. We crossed the river 4 times and a deep creek several times too. Camped in a meadow where the backcountry horsemen group had brought in picnic table makings and set them all up! Luxury in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Working...
              X