Tahoe Stoke for Summer14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tahoe Stoke for Summer14

So it's the eve o' June. Even in a good year, most folks are in full on summer mode and skiing is NOT part of the picture by now. So share your summer stoke here. I've already shifted to pedaling on dirt and improving my skills with a board on water. Been to Washoe twice, but only rigged once when I was fully lit with a niner. Quadzilla is correct, the water there is not going to last long, so the best plan is to use it while it's available. Anyone in Truckee interested in kiting at Stampede? The water level is down at least 20 vertical feet. The dock at the boat ramp is high and dry, but the typical rocky shoreline is now sandy in spots, making a kite launch less dangerous. Anyone interested in buddying up PM me.

In the meantime, if you're in the Thaoe area, having fun, show us here.

ain't no turn like tele!

This is actually my favorite time of year around here as the Summer thermals are starting to kick with 15-25 mph wind daily. So with the windsurfing/kiting in the afternoons, Mt. Biking/hiking any time, house projects and abundant sunshine you can keep worn out and sore all the time. IMO, a good day of windsurfing on a shortboard with a med sized sail and planing 95% is more fun than a resort powder day. We get that 3 days a week and if you are a kiter you can get that everyday. But, like Dostie stated the water levels are dropping so the great sailing spots like Washoe Lake is drying up and we need drive a bit to find water. Next best spot to Washoe is Lohanton Res. East of Reno. Tahoe pretty much sucks for high wind as the waves are usually bigger than the wind, Stampede Res. is windy but gusty and tough.

Anyway, yesterday we did a day hike in the AM with JFB and his wife and sailed in the afternoon with good thermal wind. Kiting looked pretty good and Lynn was zooming on her 8m kite and small board and I was planing on my windsurfer with a 5.4 sail and 100 liter board. We had about 10 windsurfers out and maybe 20 kiters at Washoe Lake. Pretty sore right now too so today there isn't wind predicted so light workout in the AM and ride some local trails in the PM.

A couple of shots climbing the foothills of Washoe Valley toward Virginia City.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02390.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	81906Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02393.JPG
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	81907
    "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by tahoebc View Post
        Yesterday

Jesus!

How do you stay on a bike seat with balls that big!

Comment

Well, not quite Tahoe, but I just had a fine stroll traversing the Stately Pleasure -> Harlequin -> Mountaineers -> Polly Domes lineup. There were fun bits of class 3 here and there, and the views weren't bad.

Previous day, I did a nice little descent near Tioga; yeah, that's probably it for the season. Here I'm getting ready for a refreshing stream crossing:

Comment

Originally posted by MikeK View Post
            Jesus!

How do you stay on a bike seat with balls that big!
            He had to have them surgically removed

He climbed up the rocks of Hawley Falls and made this short movie of me riding the falls from above.

Comment

Not exactly Tahoe, but the best place for windsurfing and kiting near Tahoe is the Delta. It was quite the epic early weekend with good wind from Wednesday through Saturday. The regular gang was there in full force, with some much needed new talent as well.

Check out Jake - 13 years old and ripping...

Click image for larger version

Name:	jake-jump3 copy.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	82059

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Working...
              X