New Pair of Nunataqs - looking for thoughts on skins and binders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pair of Nunataqs - looking for thoughts on skins and binders

Just picked up some 13/14 Nunataq 170s for next season - got a killer deal and I am super stoked.

Trying to decide on which skins to get. Anyone try the Volkl skins? I use the BD momix skins on my 96 underfoot Karhu BC Storms and used the BD Ascensions on my Megawatts before I sold them...I also use the Ascensions on my spitboard (thus, for the wide I have always used BD Ascensions). The Nunataqs are 107 underfoot...interested to hear thoughts on BD, G3, Climbing Skins Direct, others?

Also, pretty sure that I am going to mount with speed radicals, as I have a pair that are currently unmounted. I do like the brakes on my other dynafits (redicals, I think), but not sure if it's worth buying another pair and trying to sell my speed radicals. Thoughts?
    Last edited by shoestring; 16 May 2014, 10:59 AM.

I can't see any reason to not buy BD skins unless you do alot of low angle skinning where glide is paramount. When glue quality and grip on steeps are your priorities (they are mine, I know of no brand that does it better than BD. G3 would be 2nd choice; CSD seems inconsistent (fine for some, problems for others). Don't know anything about Volkl skins or AT bindings!
    Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

Comment

^^^

kinda confirming what I already know - i.e., BD makes the best skins. thoughts on the momix for a 107 underfoot full rocker ski?

Comment

As for bindings, I generally use what I have until I can flip it for something shinier or it breaks.
        Speaking of brakes, I like 'em, but if I didn't have the cash for new bindings I'd probably just live without them.

Comment

Shoey,

You'll like next season's Volkl skins better, or High Trails, than BD Ascension. Getting mixed messages on the glue with Ascension and GlideLite. In any case, you'll want to swap the tail of Volkl or High Trails for BD's STS tail kit.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Volkl skins are fine but you'll never find them on sale. Lots of good deals on BD skins. Also, the Volkl skins are pre-cut for the Nunataqs so if you don't want to drink a couple of beers and spend an hour setting them up, Volkl are literally plug and play.

If you already have a pair of Speed Radicals you'd have to really want brakes to go to the trouble of selling them and buying a pair of STs.

Comment

G3 Alpinist skins get my vote... used them for a few years now and have not had any problems. Used BD skins for a few years before that but like the tip loop/clip on the G3's better.
              Traction was a wash, durability also a wash as are the tail clips.

Comment

Nice setup, should be able to ski it all around Tahoe. As far as skins, We have two pair of newest generation and a friend that we ski with has a new pair of BD Ascension STS. Good news is that they are reliable, great tip and tail attachments and grippy. Somewhat bad news is that the glue is also grippy especially at first but gets better with a fair amount of use. However, no evidence so far of glue residue on the bases. For me, if I was going to get new skins again I would buy the same as I know the good and bad but trust them. Compared to mohair or blend, only skied with guys on those a few times, didn't really see a difference but tours were more up than out.

Dynafit Speed Radicals are my favorite. I would rig them with B&D leashes as once on, you don't have to take them off during transitions so you will never lose a ski. I would never use a ski brake in the BC. Lose a ski in deep snow and you are in serious trouble, we have had two incidences where someone has released in deep snow well in the BC and spent hours digging for the ski. Or, maybe use brakes and have a beacon attached to them.
                "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Quad, my concern with using leashes is that if they are strong enough to keep the skis with me in a fall, I'd be concerned about getting hit by the ski as I tumble. Had this happen years ago before the advent of ski brakes. If the leashes are weak enough to break in a tumbling fall, well, then I'd rather have brakes that would at least have a chance of slowing/stopping the ski... this is especially a concern when skiing something other than soft, deep powder. Wind crust, sun crust and spring corn harvesting come to mind as examples where the ski might go on a long run on it's own. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPin View Post
                    Quad, my concern with using leashes is that if they are strong enough to keep the skis with me in a fall, I'd be concerned about getting hit by the ski as I tumble. Had this happen years ago before the advent of ski brakes. If the leashes are weak enough to break in a tumbling fall, well, then I'd rather have brakes that would at least have a chance of slowing/stopping the ski... this is especially a concern when skiing something other than soft, deep powder. Wind crust, sun crust and spring corn harvesting come to mind as examples where the ski might go on a long run on it's own. YMMV.
                    Sure, the B&D leashes have a lot of scope so maybe a better chance in a tumbling long fall the skis would be farther away from you but still attached. As far as losing a ski ski, brakes should work most of the time in a reliable fashion, but if you spend enough time skiing on all types of terrain weird sh*t happens. The two times my group has lost a ski, once it took 3/4 hour to find it and most of our group had skied down already and don't know what happened to us and cost a bunch of time. Another time, we picked up a skier who want to ski with us, he decided to huck a small cliff band. Ejected and that took hours of our time to find it. That doesn't include the times when stopping for a break, take skis off and have a gust of wind blow them away or transition on a sidehill and lose ski and it falls down into a creek et et. B&D for me.
                    "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

I switched to the glide light mohair mix skins for a pair of 105 waist skis this year and I will never go back. Cesare's idea to iron in globstopper and then brush it was brilliant.

BD did get carried away with the glue again this year. It takes most of my strength to pull them apart and I am not a small person.
                      Last edited by James; 16 May 2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPin View Post
                        Quad, my concern with using leashes is that if they are strong enough to keep the skis with me in a fall, I'd be concerned about getting hit by the ski as I tumble. Had this happen years ago before the advent of ski brakes.
                        We are giving away our ages but I agree. I hope to never ever use a leash again.

Comment

great choice, Nunataqs, mine are 178 cm. I picked mine up in Spring 2013.
                          I started skiing them this winter. I have the BD Glidelights Mohair Mix STS skins trimmed edge to edge. On steeper skintracks, (set by maniacs), I find they grip-grip-grip better than the G3 Alpinist skins I have on all my other skis. I got a deal on these BD skins, factory seconds from GearX, a local store. Only problem (when new) if I have the skins sticking to each other, it takes a second person to pull them apart for another lap.
                          My bindings are a pair of Vertical Sts, I pulled off my old G3 Tonics. I like the Nunataqs a lot more than the Tonics. They hold on ice better, and float up better in pow..Even on hard snow at the resort, the Nunataqs will carve beautifully..

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050226.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	81851
                          Last edited by chamonix; 17 May 2014, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the dynafit leashes just seem too small...maybe I will try the B&D leashes. Will probably end up with BD skins, as I've used them in the past and they can usually be found on the cheap, off-season. I much prefer the weight/size of the momix glidelight skins, but with 107 underfoot, I want to make sure I have enough grip...
                            Last edited by shoestring; 16 May 2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

shoestring,
                              get one of the G3 skin trimmers, to trim the skins edge-to-edge. While the BD skins have great grip, the G3 skins are lighter, better glide IMHO..
                              Last edited by chamonix; 16 May 2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X