No announcement yet.

Bacon and Grilled Cheese sandwich, 21-22 New England ski thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Without lycra there would be no yoga pants.

End of discussion.

Comment

• I started running trails around 1983( before lycra was widely available...despite having been invented in the 50's), I bought my first Mountain Bike around 1985 after washing dishes all summer to save up the money. My prize was a Cyclopro...the one with the bar stem and bars welded together as one piece...prob weighed 40lbs. I really wanted a Specialized but no way I could afford those prices as a kid. my 2nd purchase was a pair of lycra bike shorts...I thought about cutting the arms and legs off my nordic racing suit but decided that would make it way too cold in the winter.

I raced mountain bikes from about 2003 - 2010. I raced SS and geared classes, but preferred my SS hardtail...I especially liked racing the geared class on my SS. I always wore lycra when riding my Mtb.

my sister is a Doctor and was an avid runner, until she developed a foot problem and can no longer run or press pedals very hard. she now has an e-bike that she enjoys quite a bit...for her its the difference between not being able to ride and and being able to ride with her husband.

Comment

• DBs gonna be DBs regardless of their conveyance.

Comment

• Skiing today, Jay Peak. Perfect groomers, heavier snow if you tried to ski in the glades, or found some untracked snow.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220421_102218.jpg Views:	0 Size:	746.5 KB ID:	115855 tele friend
          Looking up the Northway. Beautifully groomed, but with the Bonnie, Tram and Flyer shutdown for wind, nearly untracked. If I had skins today, would have climbed up here.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220421_102214.jpg Views:	0 Size:	893.6 KB ID:	115856
          Still lots of snow up there...

Comment

• Thanks for the report, cham. Given the cold temps tonight the corn harvest after lunch tomorrow should be supreme.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grant View Post
              Thanks for the report, cham. Given the cold temps tonight the corn harvest after lunch tomorrow should be supreme.
              I think the temperature last night stayed above freezing to the summit. And today it's been raining on and off. I didn't ski today, expecting it to be a bit slushy.
              However tonight, clear forecast, showing a low of 19 F at the summit. So that should firm things up.
              Probably just a groomer day for me tomorrow..
              Last edited by chamonix; 22 April 2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• did some running at the local resort today. passed the last remaining "man made glaciers"...they were over my head, prob closer to 7ft thick. by made made glaciers I mean the super packed down snow/ice that forms by snow guns running for 4 months. the glaciers are isolated, but its amazing how deep they are.

Comment

• Had fun, finally skiing with Grant ! He lives only 2 hours from Jay Peak, but rarely made it this far North. We had a great day of Spring skiing Saturday, with quite a tele posse. A lot of meeting friends on the hill, and catching up on news. I even met a Montreal kayaker, I hadn't seen since 1988, on my first Grand Canyon kayak trip.
                  Anyways, here with Grant..
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220423_121318.jpg Views:	3 Size:	745.9 KB ID:	115909
                  We caught a rare day of skiing with Louis, inventor of the TeleBulldog binding. So Grant got to ski with one of the best telemark skiers at Jay Peak, IMHO, Louis.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220423_101407.jpg Views:	3 Size:	841.0 KB ID:	115910 Big Jay in the background..
                  Finally, Grant invited me to the Jay Peak parking lot, for snorkers, and chips, cooked on his gas grill. Jay Peak was having their annual tailgate party.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220423_144425.jpg Views:	3 Size:	943.3 KB ID:	115911
                  A great day to end the season (for lift skiing).
                  Last edited by chamonix; 24 April 2022, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Great day skiing with you cham. It was long overdue!

I got lucky with Green Beret, CanAm, and River Quai reopening after a foot of new snow earlier in the week.

Attached Files

Comment

• Upper Kwai looks like snow is better than Can Am was ! Should have tried that instead? (your 2nd and third pics)

Comment

• Originally posted by chamonix View Post
                        Upper Kwai looks like snow is better than Can Am was ! Should have tried that instead? (your 2nd and third pics)
                        The top most section required some billygoating but was passable.

Note to self - wearing layers under the flannel makes me look pregnant. ; 7 )

Comment

• Originally posted by chamonix View Post
                          Anyways, here with Grant..
                          Click image for larger version Name:	Resized_20220423_121318.jpg Views:	3 Size:	745.9 KB ID:	115909
                          Coupla handsome mofos right there!

Comment

• Well done, lads.

Comment

• Fresh snow; 3 inches (?) at Jay Peak, with a crust..this morning. None of the lifts are running until the weekend.
                              Skinned up to ski the Jet (or Haynes?) . Started out with these guys, but got dropped pretty quick..
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Starting out.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	116000
                              Then took my own route up, a bit more of the icy crust up higher. On one steep section, tried out new ski crampons.. Note in picture , my weighted ski boot can't even break the crust ! Ski crampons made climbing much safer .
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220428_102706.jpg Views:	0 Size:	718.4 KB ID:	116001 Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220428_103415.jpg Views:	0 Size:	691.3 KB ID:	116002
                              Looking back at my skin track, breaking the crust.
                              Then I met up with these guys again, from Derby, at the top of the Jet. They had tried Valhalla, not great they said.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13935.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	116004 Click image for larger version

Name:	Top of Jet.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	116014
                              The natural snow runs only had an inch or two of fresh, with a 1/4 inch ice crust. So the safe route, was down the Haynes, which had been groomed that morning. First tracks on the Haynes? I followed them down, and they waited for me which was nice. Lower Haynes was best.

A beautiful day to be out.
                              Last edited by chamonix; 29 April 2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• I closed out my season yesterday.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X