easiest transitioning Tech Binding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easiest transitioning Tech Binding?

The last time I looked at Dynafits was a while ago. I seem to remember that you had to remove the boot from the binding to transition from skiing to to skinning. (Maybe the other way?) Or perform a jui jitsu move on it.

Do any of the newfangled tech bindings allow you to transition from skiing to skinning to skiing without having to remove the boot from the binding completely?

Cheers

If you're talking about AT bindings, I think most of the ones with a non-tech heel allow this... Fritschi Tecton, Marker Kingpin, Trab TR2 (but needs a boot mod). None of these are remotely considered lightweight, which is a bit ironic given the benefit for a low angle/approach ski.

For telemark... TTS.

Comment

vipec does, not super light, but lighter that tecton and uses a std dyna-heel. then entire heel unit slides backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiny Norman View Post
        Do any of the newfangled tech bindings allow you to transition from skiing to skinning to skiing without having to remove the boot from the binding completely?
        It is theoretically possible with Fritschi Vipec and Tecton, maybe the Kingpin too, but you still need some jui jitsu to put your skins on without taking your skis off.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

To add to what Dostie said, the downhill to uphill transition pretty much requires clicking out anyway to put your skins on (unless of course you're using just traction bases only). Yeah, if you're really flexible you can learn to re-skin while still clicked in, but if you've seen folks do it, it really isn't any faster than a well-practiced conventional transition. Skimo racers would be all over it if it were. Here's a video of how they do it. 35-39 seconds, including skis on & off.

So, because of this, companies haven't really prioritized having this feature on their bindings. Better to not add unnecessary complication if hardly anyone's gonna have use for it.

(Yeah there are times in deep snow that I wish I could re-skin while still clicked in. But the chances of falling over, breaking a pole, getting snow on the glue, etc. all make the risk/reward calculus not quite pan out.)
          Last edited by bobbytooslow; 12 October 2021, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jtb View Post
            If you're talking about AT bindings, I think most of the ones with a non-tech heel allow this... Fritschi Tecton, Marker Kingpin, Trab TR2 (but needs a boot mod). None of these are remotely considered lightweight, which is a bit ironic given the benefit for a low angle/approach ski.

For telemark... TTS.
            I think OP is referring to tech, but for completeness here, Lynx will transition to tour from ski with a pole push on the cam.

Comment

Originally posted by jnicol View Post
              Lynx will transition to tour from ski with a pole push on the cam.
              Wait, you can do that without popping out of your toes?!

Comment

Originally posted by dschane View Post
                Wait, you can do that without popping out of your toes?!
                yes sir

Comment

On rolling, not too steep terrain, if the snow is reasonably sticky, it does help if you can go up short inclines without using skins. Axl etc where very good for this. Unfortunately it is something lost on commercial tech toe bindings.

Comment

Thanks all.

I am asking about AT bindings.

I will be skinless most of the time. Using a waxless/patterned/traction base ski.

The Vipec and Kingpin will be investigated.

Cheers

Comment

Jnicol, I need a video for this. Or some pictures showing where you're pushing with your pole to release the claw. I have tried to do it with my hands but without success.

Great bindings. As someone noted, they are on the heavier end of the AT spectrum. My wife has been using the Kingpins for 4 or 5 years and has had zero problems.

Comment

I am asking about AT bindings.

I will be skinless most of the time. Using a waxless/patterned/traction base ski.

I'm jealous of folks who have ample terrain to do this kind of skiing. Here in volcano-land, it's all big up then big down.

Help me understand the gear needs better. I would think that if the terrain is mellow enough to climb skinless, it would also be mellow enough to use tele bindings for all types of turns on the downhills. The AT bindings mentioned above are pretty burly, designed for folks charging hard and possibly crashing hard, whereas tele bindings would be cheaper, lighter, simpler, and easier to transition. Are boots the issue?

Comment

This is exactly what I have been doing for the past few seasons as my primary method for touring. So, I have some opinions as what works for me. I have two primary setups for this using Maestrale AT boots and either Voile Hyper Vector BC or Voile Charger BC's. I use the same bindings on both and that is Dynafit Speed Radicals. First, even so my AT kit is a lot lighter than my tele setup with Ecos and Vectors I have found that comparing my ET's for both as well as touring with Lynn who is always on scaled Vectors tele. The speed difference is actually faster with tele before the skins go on. I think the difference is that the bellows create a longer glide on the flats, so they do dominate the approaches and run outs. Plus there is easier transition with tele gear on rolling terrain. However, I do like this kind of touring as I like to work on having quick transitions and strategy for up and down terrain. As far as bindings, I love Speed Radicals, they are light, tough and have been out there for years so no surprises or disappointments.
                          "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Originally posted by bobbytooslow View Post
                            I'm jealous of folks who have ample terrain to do this kind of skiing. Here in volcano-land, it's all big up then big down.

Help me understand the gear needs better. I would think that if the terrain is mellow enough to climb skinless, it would also be mellow enough to use tele bindings for all types of turns on the downhills. The AT bindings mentioned above are pretty burly, designed for folks charging hard and possibly crashing hard, whereas tele bindings would be cheaper, lighter, simpler, and easier to transition. Are boots the issue?
                            This. Rolling terrain and scaled skis is the one use case where a telemark binding is clearly better than AT, IMO. My TTS rig is faster in transitions than AT tech bindings and 100g lighter than the lightest AT hybrid binding (the ones that allow transitions without stepping out). Plus the boots are more comfortable.

Boots are still the weakest link in that I am usually on F3's, and would love something closer in weight to a TLT.

Comment

Here in scenic central NH, the snow quality is occasionally good.

Once upon a time I was a competent tele skier. Once upon a time. Now I like the control and ability to easily lift a ski out of 4" of wet mank. So AT it is. And I already have a pair of TLT6 boots that I snowboard in.

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                              X