No announcement yet.

new scarpa boot guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Interesting thread. I’m a one ski guy. I’m on tx comps with outlaw x bindings. Now I understand why I like the combo so much. Thx for all the information. I really like the power and control I get with this combination Would like it even more with a bit more confidence of a release in a twisting fall. I’m willing to suffer with the extra weight when I tour. Tour model on the outlaw works well though. I know this perspective doesn’t work for a lot of you but the performance sure is nice imo

Comment

There seem to be wildly different needs depending on who is speaking. And I seriously doubt Scarpa would see meeting all those needs in a new line with multiple new molds as a profitable endeavor. If they put a Mastrale cuff on a TX Pro with an Aiien-like walk mode switch and better ROM than I am getting now with my frankenboot attempt at making the same, I would probably buy it in a few years. But I would have to wear out two pairs of boots that I have now before I would go there. And that seems to be the problem. I'm retired and living on a limited income. Being in Japan is a two edged sword in that regard. Even with expensive food and fuel, the cost of living here is less than it would be in Boulder. But new gear costs 20-30% more and doesn't get marked down as much as unsold inventory sits around for a few years. Like many others, I will continue to be a late adopter. And where is the profit motivation for Scarpa in such a market? There are a fair number of highly accomplished, younger tele skiers in Japan who will buy whatever they put out. But they are young and more freeride focused than the septuagenerian set so I think it would be more like jasonq 's example than like bobbytooslow 's example. And that's hardly any different from what I've already cobbled together.

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
        TI would probably buy it in a few years. But I would have to wear out two pairs of boots that I have now before I would go there. And that seems to be the problem.
        Yes. This is the issue. I don't think this is limited to a situation like yours in Japan. This is a huge part of the market everywhere. Just look around a lift line or trailhead.

Beyond that, I'm as afraid of the existing line crashing as I am excited about a new boot. I have slowly put together 2 and 3 of everything.

Comment

For the record, the duckbutt'd F1 Carbon photo was just a joke. It would take a tremendous explosion in the popularity of telemark for a boot like that to make financial sense for a manufacturer. Us dirtbag cheapskates would not be stoked on the durability/lifespan/price calculus. I get maybe 75 touring days out of mine before they're shot, and that number would be considerably lower if I used them for lift serve (which folks would undoubtedly would try to do).

I believe that Scarpa will (and rightfully should) make a boot just like Jason described. Basically a telemark Maestrale, or filling in the T2/T2X slot. 1500g, 3 buckles, big ROM, etc.

Comment

If there will be any new boots for the 22/23 season, they should be presented at ISPO 23-26 of January 2022.

Comment

My guess is 2024. Sorry guys.

Comment

Old post. Hum what’s this? Looks like a f1. No idea on how to read patents or if this is just old.

Comment

the good. It lists Davide Parisotto as an inventor. Davide is like the head guy at scarpa and from the founding family. the bad, this was filed in 2009, and looks like the F1 race from that era. The good is that is is still active (there is a fee with maintaining a patent, at least in the US, but this is an EU patent). The bad, this is from 2009. The good, if this is what the new scarpa tele boot will be based on, they have been working on it for going on 15 years, so it should be totally dialed. the bad, this was filed in 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by telenerd View Post
                    My guess is 2024. Sorry guys.
                    U B prescient.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                      U B prescient.
                      Would 2024 mean showing it Jan 2024, or would be it be available for 2023/2024 winter?

Comment

And then a recession is going to hit, and the boots will get delayed further...

If new boots ever do come out, I'll buy them. But I'm not holding my breath. I've become fairly satisfied with my four-boot quiver (not including duplicates):

- TX Pro for lift-serve hard charging
                        - Merrell SuperComp for lift-serve goofing around
                        - Regular F1 for backcountry turn-earning
                        - F1 Carbon for vert accumulating

Not much modding necessary, just some plastic removal to achieve the flex I like.

Comment

Originally posted by xmatt View Post
                          Would 2024 mean showing it Jan 2024, or would be it be available for 2023/2024 winter?
                          God only knows.

Unproven but I think I'm an F1 retro-grouch.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                            Unproven but I think I'm an F1 retro-grouch.
                            Yes! Dostie has sipped the Kool-aid!

Any idea how far along Scarpa is with the design? Is it done (in their eyes) and they're just waiting for the go-ahead from the bean counters? Or are they still tweaking?

Comment

Twenty Twenty Fourever

Whole lot of global economic insanity between now and 2024. We'll see what this winter does to the gear market. I predict historic clearance sales by springtime.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbytooslow View Post
                                Yes! Dostie has sipped the Kool-aid!

Any idea how far along Scarpa is with the design? Is it done (in their eyes) and they're just waiting for the go-ahead from the bean counters? Or are they still tweaking?
                                Sipping for now. Anticipating the big gulp.

How far along? Too far.

I've had a hard time wrapping my head around what is taking so long. Scarpa took the plunge on the first evah plastic tele boot when the market was a fraction of what it is today. So why the reluctance to produce a boot that should, by the bean counting metrics be an uncontested winner?

When Scarpa made the first PTB the image of backcountry was tied to telemark. It no longer is. Less obvious unless you lived through that time period - AT was a miniscule blip on the radar of backcountry equipment. At least in America. There were very few AT boot options, and what there was was heavy, clunky, and squeeky. Dynafit had been introduced, but few took it seriously. Not in 1994. As interest in AT grew, so did the boot options, and Scarpa was part of that.

Now I think what holds Scarpa back isn't whether their new boot will sell like hotcakes, but will it sell on par with their AT choices. I think that's the rub. And I also think they need to reset their design goals so they don't kill the turn while trying to achieve parity with AT boots. IMO the latter is impossible without turning the boot into an alpine boot.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Working...
                                X