No announcement yet.

new scarpa boot guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, sorry about the drift, I should have started a new thread about the heel tech fittings.

You're right about the Meidjo heel, it could essentially function like a regular alpine heel in terms of upward release. Could this be done as simply or lightweight as an AT-style heel? I don't know. But it's good in that the boot manufacturers are unlikely to object.

While it's a great solution for the Meidjo and its built-in claw release, users of other binding types will likely want in on the party too. A TTS/AT hybrid (like jtb has deftly made) would see a lot of interest from the backcountry touring set.

Just spitballing here... if a whole new tech heel norm is out of the question, maybe there's an easy way to greatly increase preload on the TTS cable so that it's much harder to lift the heel. Maybe a front throw (like Superloops), or a dual-stage heel throw?

Comment

building on previous ideas...
      how about scarpa makes a Mgear branded boot with the pocket for the/a heel fitting and Mgear procures the fitting from somewhere else. And Mgear sells the boots and the rear fitting. fitting comes pre installed or aftermarket, doesn't really matter. Either way scarpa did not sell a boot with a heel fitting. flying bovines before this happens.

Comment

All good ideas, dreams are good. Constructive or out there.

Telling that we are talking about what the new Scarpa boot might look like, not boots.

So many iterations and permutations of telemark bindings right now. That’s a beautiful thing.

The incompatibility between the formats spreads the already low demand out.

But all those options are cool, I don’t want any to go.

We just need a lot more people telemarking I guess. Or to continue tinkering. Or be happy with what we have. All three together might be best.

Comment

Originally posted by Yonderville View Post
          Telling that we are talking about what the new Scarpa boot might look like, not boots.
          I think this is because the current boots are actually quite good at doing what they're designed to do.

For the skier who is primarily lift-serve, with the occasional backcountry/slackcountry endeavor, the current TX-Pro gives pretty good performance. Sure, people would tour on it more often if it had better ROM.

And the TX-Comp is great for 100% lift-serve rippers. Sure it would be nice if it had tech fittings in the toe, but there are plenty of good binding options that don't require it.

Upgraded versions of these two boots would be incremental, whereas a lightweight boot with good ROM would be a game-changer for the sport.

Comment

Rest assured that I have friends in low places, but I asked someone in a high place about the idea of a new tech heel standard for telemark boots (something that would ensure the boots' incompatibility with standard AT bindings) and the answer is right in line with what we've been scheming in this thread.

We are working on this subject. We have to convince our boot partners. Maybe there will be some news next year. In the meantime, ask your preferred shop to tell their distributor that you want a telemark boot with the ability to lock the heel. The design must be telemark-specific and not compatible with AT if we want Scarpa and Scott in the game. There's too much risk with the flexible sole of the telemark boot. The exact details of the interface are still in development.

Edit to add: Tin-foil hat time. This is exactly the kind of thing that could cause a company (i.e., Scarpa) to hold off on production of a new tele boot. They are on the record as saying "We want to make sure we get this right" before shelling out the big bucks it takes to bring a new boot line to market. If a big part of telemark's future is having boots/bindings than can switch hit tele/alpine, then getting it right would include having the right tech fittings in place to allow for this. If this requires new fittings to be developed, or if Scarpa wants to play wait & see if there'll be adequate demand, the new-boot timeline may have just gotten longer.
            Last edited by bobbytooslow; 11 October 2021, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbytooslow View Post
              Upgraded versions of these two boots would be incremental, whereas a lightweight boot with good ROM would be a game-changer for the sport.
              Strong agree. I feel that there's a LOT riding on this new boot. My hope: 1450g in size 27.0, comparable RoM to a modern AT boot, skis at least as well as the old TX, ideally better. Bellows can be soft for all I care. That's doable, right? I mean, I'd love some <1100g thing, and the old F1 shows it's possible, but I know the market isn't there for it.

Comment

Xmatt, yup, should be very easy. A TXP with three buckles and no cuff lock is 1640g. If you undo all but the first buckle, it feels like a good ROM …until you try an F1.

Comment

A three-boot line up (F1, Maestrale, Freedom) would be genius, but if they have to go with two, I'd scrap the Freedom (Tx Comp). The slalom racers could start Frankensteining their own boots.

Comment

I spoke with a Scarpa sales rep on Saturday who said a new Scarpa tele boot is "being tested on snow by a few select skiers right now". I guess this means southern hemisphere.

Comment

my guess is they are testing in Solden Austria, they should be running lifts now.

and my guess is 2 boots. one that is analogous to the the maestrale, and will be the boot for most people. And one that is somewhere between an RS and XT, inclusive. I doubt we see two unique designs, one platform with two boots built off it.

but i think it all depends if the TX Comp stays in the lineup. I guess it does not. if it does, then we might only see on boot new boot.

Comment

Oh boy, they're back to snail snot green. Explaining which F1's to use for tele is gonna get trickier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	244103346_4396057660431070_3673956720821482503_n.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	110793

Comment

so which sport is more niche: slalom racing on tele, or skinning/touring on tele? seems like the bulk of the market is touring, but I guess its hard to tell a pro racer that Scarpa no longer makes a boot for them, and they need to build their own...

Comment

Originally posted by bauerb View Post
                            so which sport is more niche: slalom racing on tele, or skinning/touring on tele? seems like the bulk of the market is touring, but I guess its hard to tell a pro racer that Scarpa no longer makes a boot for them, and they need to build their own...
                            Not sure what kind of answers you are fishing for but first, there is no "Pro Racers" in the tele world especially in the touring or Skimo racing part, but you will learn that soon enough when you show up and "compete". This is strictly recreational and low level at best so "run what you brung". Lastly, you don't need to cobble together some sort of specialized boot/binding setup unless others who are racing do so cuz if you do it isn't racing anymore but cheating as you gain a unfair advantage. If I was looking to cheat, I would put together a full on performance NNN BC setup, practice a lot and horizon everybody............
                            "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

I think he's referring to the races hosted by the International Ski Federation (FIS), and I would think that's a smaller niche sport, but standing from my perch up here, my perception can be warped by what little I see firsthand.

Comment

FIS rules would dictate an unmodified boot.

Comment

Working...
                                X