No announcement yet.

new scarpa boot guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth flex and soft enough for decent feel are everything when telemarking powder. So while I agree 90% with Xmatt, flex isn't the attribute to sacrifice in a touring boot. IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by cesare View Post
      I agree completely about the limitations of weight reduction in a boot that needs to flex like a telemark boot. Keep the TX Pro scaffo with minor adjustments to improve ROM and make the cuff lighter. It really is not that complicated.
      Originally posted by mo pow View Post
      Smooth flex and soft enough for decent feel are everything when telemarking powder. So while I agree 90% with Xmatt, flex isn't the attribute to sacrifice in a touring boot. IMO.
      ​I don't disagree here, I'm a flex lover myself. but I just want to see something come out at this point so we can move forward.

Maybe the boot bombs like Dostie has mentioned because it skis less than awesome and T2 sales boom. Maybe that moves the needle for Scarpa and Crispi and Pierre to pivot. Maybe that saves 75mm too (a joke but also a personal dream of mine). Whatever it is I say bring it on.

Oh, and it might also just be awesome
      Last edited by JackO; 8 October 2022, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• The first half of Free Heal Life Podcast151 has some timing info. Check it out.
        Last edited by mo pow; 17 October 2022, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• To save people the trouble of looking for it... The owner & the GM of Freeheel Life -- "the number one Scarpa telemark boot dealer on the planet" -- confirm that there will *not* be a new Scarpa tele boot for Fall 2023.

So in other words, if any time in the next two winters you want an NTN boot that skis & tours well, it's DIY time...
          Last edited by bobbytooslow; 17 October 2022, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobbytooslow View Post
            To save people the trouble of looking for it... The owner & the GM of Freeheel Life -- "the number one Scarpa telemark boot dealer on the planet" -- confirm that there will *not* be a new Scarpa tele boot for Fall 2023.

So in other words, if any time in the next two winters you want an NTN boot that skis & tours well, it's DIY time...
            You got it! Bummer but unsurprising. Thanks for inventing bolt-ons and sharing all your boot mod wisdom here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3239.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	117137 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3240.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	117136 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3241.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	117135

Comment

• Dang, that is a clean install. Very nice work. I can't imagine anything in that weight class from the factory looking or skiing better.

Comment

• CMBristlecone,

Clean work indeed. I didn't bother capping the MBO-butt with tread. The exposed bolts become ice magnets when booting around in the snow, but usually they're in a binding, so it doesn't matter.

On a side note, I modified a pair of 1st gen F1s and in the process, trimmed about 200g from them. A single modified F1 logs in at 1380g VS my TX at 1660g. That's a little more than 8 oz per foot.
                Last edited by Dostie; 17 October 2022, 08:47 PM.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

• Thanks! I was inspired by bobbytooslow's insight in another thread of using a heat gun to peal the tread off. That worked great. Mainly I wanted the tread there for protection from rocks - and the clean look . I had to grind down the lugs on top of the boltons with an orbital sander to make the boot sit flat (and so that they fit into my Lynx). I also filed down the upper (boot interface) side of the boltons quite a bit so that the duck butt wouldn't touch ground when flat. Filing the butt itself into a ramp also helped with that.

I still have to cover up the t-nuts inside the boot and add jtb's bellow guards - then they will be ready to rock.

I didn't bother trimming more from the f1 carbons as they are as minimal as I can imagine already. Makes sense to trim the regular f1s though - and 8oz is a lot of weight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                    On a side note, I modified a pair of 1st gen F1s and in the process, trimmed about 200g from them. A single modified F1 logs in at 1380g VS my TX at 1660g. That's a little more than 8 oz per foot.
                    I'm not understanding the weights here. That implies unmodified F1s are 1580g. But as far as I know, they aren't! I've read online that the F3 was 1484g in 28.0, and the F1 quotes a variety of weights lighter than that, for example 1350g in a 27.0. I've never weighed my F1s, but they feel a LOT lighter than my TX when I pick them up, not just 1660-1580 = 80 grams lighter!

Comment

• Here are the measured weights & cuff heights of all my 28.0 Scarpa boots with stock liner. Note that Dostie was using the very first generation F1, which was slightly different than what I weighed (the final bellow'd version).

TX Pro: 1910g 12.6"
                      TX: 1779g 12.6"
                      T2X: 1600g 11.4"
                      T2: 1629g 10.4" ('98-'99 iridescent blue)
                      F3: 1554g 11.6"
                      F1: 1342g 11.7" (final bellow'd version)
                      F1 Race: 1190g 11.8" (no duckbutt/tongue/strap)
                      F1 Carbon: 1003g 12.0"​
                      Last edited by bobbytooslow; 18 October 2022, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• size 26.0 for all.
                        shell only, no liner.

non-race F1 gen I = 1119 grams

F3 = 1120 grams

TXP = 1425 grams (~300 grams more than F1/3)

T2X = 1286 grams

Maestrale 2 = 1170 grams

Comment

• Originally posted by xmatt View Post

I'm not understanding the weights here. That implies unmodified F1s are 1580g. But as far as I know, they aren't! I've read online that the F3 was 1484g in 28.0, and the F1 quotes a variety of weights lighter than that, for example 1350g in a 27.0. I've never weighed my F1s, but they feel a LOT lighter than my TX when I pick them up, not just 1660-1580 = 80 grams lighter!
                          True dat - misleading weights. I don't have original stock weights handy of either boot. Am guessing I eliminated about 200g of mass in the mods I made, but I also added some back with an additional instep strap. So a best guess, but no precision attached to it. What IS precise is the difference in weight between a modified F1 and a slightly modified TX. The stock TX is heavier than mine, but not by a lot.

For me, the main point is now I have a boot half pound lighter with a much better walk mode than my TXs.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

• Do we have any update on the mythical new Scarpa boot. I've been nursing a pair of old TX Pros through the last 3 years, but it's getting desperate, and I may have to just get a replacement pair.

Comment

• I spoke with someone at Scarpa NA a couple of weeks ago when buying parts. He said "You won't see anything in 2023." Freeheel Life is saying that also. So maybe winter of 2024-25?

Seems crazy that Scarpa didn't produce a run or two of the last version of TX as a transition.

Comment

• Originally posted by mo pow View Post
                                I spoke with someone at Scarpa NA a couple of weeks ago when buying parts. He said "You won't see anything in 2023." Freeheel Life is saying that also. So maybe winter of 2024-25?

Seems crazy that Scarpa didn't produce a run or two of the last version of TX as a transition.

Comment

Working...
                                X