Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiking up Mt. Whitney Memorial Day week this year (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiking up Mt. Whitney Memorial Day week this year (2014)

Has the drought made this possible for someone without snow equipment this year? My 21-year old has a permit to do it then with some friends- other than not doing it if a storm is forecast, waddyathink for someone in regular hiking boots etc.?
    Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

I'd suggest posting on the Whitney Portal Store message board. Somebody there will probably have a better idea about current conditions.

I'm guessing probably yes.

Comment

Yes, it'll be doable, and hiking boots are the way to go. There's a decent chance of snow sections though. Bringing a lightweight ice axe wouldn't be a bad idea (maybe people you talk to at the trailhead will tell you to leave it in the car though). I'd definitely bring gaiters too.

Comment

probably won't be snow on the east face....

Comment

But there can be long-lasting ice on the trail leading up to Trail Crest--there was some when we passed through mid-summer some years back. Taking a lightweight ax (or at least poles) and checking the situation at the trailhead sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Whitney zone has recent photos of the trail conditions. http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/4904/Current_Conditions_Mt_Whitney_#Post4904
            Last edited by mchin; 14 May 2014, 10:47 PM.
            Originally posted by riser3
            I heart filthy, stinky "hippies", although isn't mchin a Doctor or something like that? Hardly qualifies as a "hippie" IMHO...

Comment

The Harding Route up the Keeler Needle would probably not be holding too much snow...

Comment

not knowing how your boy is getting there, but mammoth mountaineering rents crampons, http://mammothgear.com/10/Rentals-and-Tech/

wherever he gets the crampons/axe, he should reserve it soon. that'll be the biggest weekend for that type of rental gear in CA for this spring/summer.
                Last edited by thornton; 15 May 2014, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X