X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Farley Mowat

One of my early favorite authors.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...8/farley-mowat

Thanks, Baaahb for posting that. Farley Mowat has been one of our favorite authors our whole adult lives and something of a hero of mine. Named our first cat after him way back when we were very young. The article mentions some of his more recent books I have not read, so look forward to those.

Comment

I remember a story where he got arrested for taking a potshot at an Air Force plane that was disturbing his peace....gotta love it!

EDIT: Further research indicates that he threatened to shoot...didn't actually do it.
      Last edited by BillyFromTheHills; 9 May 2014, 12:53 PM.
      Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

I owe him.
        nee, Whiteout

Comment

Growing up in Dayton, Ohio 30+ years ago, reading "Never Cry Wolf" made a significant impression on an idealistic teenager, who was just discovering the natural world. Flash forward -- wife and kids gave me a copy of this book just last year for father’s day -- given this news, it will be moving to the top of the reading pile. RIP Mr. Mowat

Comment

People of the Deer.

Comment

Grab a bottle of Screech, a blanket, get you laugh muscles ready, and read "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float", the Montreal Olympics weren't that long ago were they?

Comment

He shamed us as a species. And that's a good thing......

Click image for larger version

Name:	971151.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	81775
                “Taking away someone’s opinion is no different than sewing a man’s butthole shut.”

Comment

"We're under some gross misconception that we're a good species, going somewhere important, and that at the last minute we'll correct our errors and God will smile on us. It's delusion."
                  -FM

Comment

Originally posted by ScottP View Post
                    "We're under some gross misconception that we're a good species, going somewhere important, and that at the last minute we'll correct our errors and God will smile on us. It's delusion."
                    -FM
                    Excellent quote, Scott. Do you know when he wrote that? In any case it was likely some time ago, and is becoming more true and relevant as we heedlessly continue to destroy the system that created us and on which we rely, though many act as though they are entirely ignorant of this.

Comment

Working...
                    X